From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Mega-CD, 32X|
|OS: Windows, Linux|
|Developer: Stéphane Dallongeville (Gens); David "GerbilSoft" Korth|
|Programmed in: Assembly, C++|
|Last release date: 2009-11-22 (11 years ago)|
|Last version: r7|
Gens/GS is a Sega Mega Drive emulator derived from Gens and maintained by GerbilSoft. It is based upon the Gens version 2.15.2 Linux source code. Project goals include clean source code, combined features from various forks of Gens, and improved platform portability.
Development of the emulator was continued in Gens/GS II.
Gens/GS has a number of bug fixes and low-level code changes, as well as the following updates:
- Accurate colour scaling so that white has the RGB value $FFFFFF. Older emulators usually displayed white as $E0E0E0.
- VDP options for disabling layers and locking palettes.
- Sonic game memory value viewer ported from sGens.
- Renderers ported from Gens Re-Recording and Gens Plus!.
Gens/GS II is a partial rewrite of Gens/GS written by GerbilSoft. Gens/GS II improves the basic framework of the emulator, which will allow for the addition of many new features.
A parody version of the emulator, Gens/GS S2HD Edition, was released to mock the high overhead and bad effects of modern-day emulation compilations and poor-quality "HD" remakes.
Ubuntu 18.04 Install Instructions
These packages are 32 bit, but modern Ubuntu is 64-bit. You can setup i386 architecture and install pretty easily, however:
$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install <this package>.deb
- Versions r7 pre1, r7 pre2, r7 pre3, r7 pre4, r7 pre5 (Windows, Linux and source code). (info) (16.93 MB)
- Version m6 is missing.