From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Master System|
|Developer: Sega R&D 2|
|Peripherals supported: 3-D Glasses, FM Sound Unit, Paddle Control|
|Genre: 3-D, Racing|
|Number of players: 1|
This teeny-tiny article needs some work. You can help us by expanding it.
OutRun 3D is a 1989 racing game for the Sega Master System published by Sega, which makes use of the 3-D Glasses add-on for the system. It is largely the same as the 1987 Master System conversion of the OutRun arcade game. Like all 3D Master System games, OutRun 3D uses LCD shutter glasses for the stereoscopic effect, alternating frames between the left and right eye. The game has the option of a standard 2D mode, since the 3D mode will only work with the 3-D Glasses peripheral.
Despite not being released in Japan, the game is also compatible with the Japanese-exclusive Paddle Control. However the player will require a modified console or a Japanese system (with region adapter) to use it.
This version is notable for removing two of the game's three traditional racing tracks (Passing Breeze and Splash Wave) and adding three others (Midnight Highway, Color Ocean and Shining Wind) in their place. Curiously, Color Ocean replaces the frequency for Passing Breeze (74.6) while Shining Wind replaces that of Splash Wave (80.3).
- Main article: OutRun 3D/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- File:OutRun3D EU cover.jpg
- Raze, "September 1991" (UK; 1991-07-25), page 76
- ACE, "August 1989" (UK; 1989-07-06), page 8
- ACE, "September 1989" (UK; 1989-08-03), page 82
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "" (UK; 1989-10-16), page 63
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "Volume IV" (UK; 1990-11-xx), page 102
- The Complete Guide to Sega, "" (UK; 1991-05-xx), page 59
- Mean Machines Sega, "October 1992" (UK; 1992-09-xx), page 131
- Sega Power, "October 1991" (UK; 1991-09-05), page 58
- Sega Pro, "March 1992" (UK; 1992-02-20), page 20
- Sega Pro, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-11), page 71