Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Mega Drive)
From Sega Retro
- For the 2013 remake, see Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (2013).
|Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, PlayStation 3|
|Sound driver: SMPS Z80|
|Number of players: 1|
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, known as Castle of Illusion: Fushigi no Oshiro Daibouken or I Love Mickey Mouse: Fushigi no Oshiro Daibouken (アイラブミッキーマウス ふしぎのお城大冒険) in Japan. is a platform game developed by Sega R&D2 for the Sega Mega Drive. It was released alongside a slightly different Sega Master System and Sega Game Gear version around the same time.
Castle of Illusion follows Mickey Mouse as he attempts to defeat the witch Mizrabel who has kidnapped Minnie. As he approaches the entrance of Mizrabel's castle, a mysterious old man appears and offers him assistance. Mickey must defeat Mizrabel's henchmen in each level and obtain a crystal which, if all of them obtained, will open up the route to witch's throne room.
Castle of Illusion is a platforming game. Mickey can defeat enemies by jumping over () and pounding over them ( in mid air) or grabbing objects and throwing them at enemies (/). Mickey can also slide over slopes and attack enemies.
All levels are colorful and seems to be taken from fairy tales. Each level has a boss character requires players to defeat them to proceed.
At the beginning of the game players can choose to play "Practice" or full game. Practice mode, as the name implies, is mainly for beginners and doesn't last more than 15 minutes. It is only possible to finish the game and see the ending by playing the normal mode.
|The Enchanted Forest|
Castle of Illusion stands as one of the first licensed exclusives for a Sega system, and was promoted heavily to sell consoles before the release of Sonic the Hedgehog. Its subsequent success meant it became the first in a series of Disney licensed games developed exclusively for Sega consoles, being followed by a sequel, World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, and two Master System/Game Gear spin-offs, Land of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Legend of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse.
The game was bundled with Quackshot later in the Mega Drive's life in The Disney Collection, and also appeared with this game in the Sega Saturn compilation, Sega Ages I Love Mickey Mouse: Fushigi no Oshiro Daibouken/I Love Donald Duck: Guruzia Ou no Hihou.
A remake of the game was released in 2013 developed by Sega Studios Australia called Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (2013). The original game was made available as a pre-order bonus on PlayStation Network in North America only.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse||Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse|
|English (US)||Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse||Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse|
|Japanese||I Love Mickey Mouse: Fushigi no Oshiro Daibouken (アイラブミッキーマウス ふしぎのお城大冒険)|
- Game Designer and Coordinator: Emirin
- Assistant Game Designer: Yoshio.Y
- Assistant Coordinator: Thomas Yuuda
- Artists: Maccochan, La‑Rie, Mikarin, Thomas Yuuda
- Programmers: Satman, Kottu, Muimui
- Sound Director: Bo
- Sound Composed by: Kamiya Studio
- Special Thanks to: Momonga Momo, Hyakushiki, Heven Kaneko, Tam, Jackson Yu, Wanta, Milpo, Hata, Shiri・P, XOR, Ryuuchan, Macchan, Jim, Hi Master
- Walt Disney Producer: Stephan L. Butler
- Main Programmer and Producer: Ore
- Produced by: Sega
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Mega Drive, AU|
|Mega Drive, KR|
|Mega Drive, SE (rental)|
|Mega Drive, US/CA (alt?)|
ROM dump status
- File:EGM US 017.pdf, page 20
- File:Raze UK 05.pdf, page 7
- Sega Power, "May 1991" (UK; 1991-04-04), page 19
- Mean Machines, "February 1991" (UK; 1991-02-01), page 19
- File:AcaoGames BR 001.pdf, page 8
- File:Supergame BR 02.pdf, page 20
- http://blogs.sega.com/2013/08/16/castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-gets-release-date-price-and-pre-order-special/ (archived: 2017-08-21 08:48)
- File:TheCompleteGuideToSega UK.pdf, page 2
- File:AcaoGames BR 001.pdf, page 34
- File:ASM DE 1991-03.pdf, page 8
- File:BeepMD_JP_1990-12.pdf, page 27
- File:SSM_JP_19950901_1995-09.pdf, page 85
- File:ConsolesPlus FR 000.pdf, page 32
- File:CVG UK 111.pdf, page 84
- File:CVG IT 03.pdf, page 42
- File:MeanMachinesEssentialSegaGuide Book UK.pdf, page 70
- File:HobbyConsolas ES 008.pdf, page 150
- File:TheGamesMachine IT 028.pdf, page 90
- File:GamePro US 019.pdf, page 68
- File:Generation4 FR 030.pdf, page 97
- File:Joystick FR 012.pdf, page 98
- File:MDAG UK 02.pdf, page 78
- File:Mega UK 20.pdf, page 65
- File:MegaTech UK 01.pdf, page 22
- File:MegaTech UK 01.pdf, page 48
- File:MegaTech UK 01.pdf, page 79
- File:MeanMachines UK 05.pdf, page 16
- File:PlayerOne FR 008.pdf, page 22
- File:PowerPlay DE 035.pdf, page 146
- File:Raze UK 05.pdf, page 6
- File:SegaPower UK 46.pdf, page 96
- File:SegaPro UK 02.pdf, page 20
|Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Mega Drive)|