From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Master System|
|Publisher: U.S. Gold|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Gauntlet is an overhead dungeon crawler released for the arcades by Atari Games in 1985. A Sega Master System version was released exclusively in Europe in 1990, published by U.S. Gold and developed by Tiertex Design Studios. Unlike the later Sega Mega Drive version released by Tengen (see Gauntlet IV), the Master System version only supports up to two players due to the lack of any multiplayer adapter for the system.
Gauntlet combines arcade-style gameplay with the theme and dungeon-crawling action of pen and paper role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons. The players fight their way through many floors of an enormous dungeon, both cooperating to kill enemies and competing to collect gold and upgrades.
Players can choose from among four characters (Thor the Warrior, Thyra the Valkyrie, Merlin the Wizard or Questor the Elf). Each has their own unique visual appearance and various strengths and weaknesses (for example, Merlin excels at magic but his hand-to-hand attacks are weak).
The game's huge success in the arcades led to a large number of home ports and various sequels, but the series didn't return to Sega systems until the Sega Mega Drive-exclusive Gauntlet IV in 1993; unlike the first game, Gauntlet IV was released in the US and Japan as well as Europe.
- Main article: Gauntlet/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
|Master System, AU|
|Master System, SE (Rental)|
ROM dump status
- ACE, "October 1990" (UK; 1990-xx-xx), page 87
- Mean Machines, "October 1990" (UK; 1990-xx-xx), page 60
- Computer & Video Games, "December 1990" (UK; 1990-11-16), page 119
- Sega Power, "January 1991" (UK; 199x-xx-xx), page 52
- Raze, "January 1991" (UK; 1990-11-29), page 23
- Joystick, "Octobre 1991" (FR; 1991-xx-xx), page 137
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "Volume IV" (UK; 1990-11-xx), page 97
- Computer & Video Games, "January 1991" (UK; 1990-12-15), page 120/121 (120)
- Game Mania, "May 1993" (UK; 1993-xx-xx), page 81
- Games-X, "Preview Issue" (UK; 1991-xx-xx), page 17
- Hobby Consolas, "Octubre 1991" (ES; 1991-xx-xx), page 86 (78)
- Joystick, "Avril 1991" (FR; 1991-xx-xx), page 107
- Mean Machines, "October 1990" (UK; 1990-xx-xx), page 58-60 (58)
- Player One, "Avril 1991" (FR; 1991-xx-xx), page 39 (35)
- Raze, "January 1991" (UK; 1990-11-29), page 39
- S: The Sega Magazine, "November 1990" (UK; 1990-xx-xx), page 12/13 (12)
- Sega Power, "October 1991" (UK; 1991-09-05), page 56
- Sega Pro, "Christmas 1991" (UK; 1991-12-12), page 19