From Sega Retro
- Back to: CartridgeCulture.
- It seems that IGN "localises" the dates depending on where the page is accessed from. Accessing from the UK gives a date of December 31st for Batman Returns, but when using a US proxy I got the date of May 19th that you referenced. Not an issue as you linked an archive of the page, and the Internet Archive is based in the US, but could be an issue if someone wanted to reference the UK page. That "UK" date is obviously a placeholder though, it released in September going by the official Gallup charts.Pirate Dragon (talk) 11:50, 15 April 2021 (EDT)
Just letting you know, we use wapuro romaji for Japanese names, so long "o" becomes "ou" and long "u" becomes "uu". There are very few instances where a page's title isn't plain ascii. - Hivebrain (talk) 22:08, 30 May 2021 (EDT)
- Got it, thanks for the heads up. I'll start putting Refs under external links too :) CartridgeCulture (talk) 01:59, 31 May 2021 (EDT)
It's unlikely we're going to maintain categories for every company, so I'd just do
- Got it, that'll actually be easier. Thanks :)
- CartridgeCulture (talk) 11:06, 10 September 2021 (EDT)
- Hey thanks so much for helping with that text replacement BS c:
- CartridgeCulture (talk) 12:36, 10 September 2021 (EDT)
- ok. suppose my reasoning was the "we want to cover everything sega-relevant here and not elsewhere" thing. do we only cover third-party staff if they've done a certain amount of games? or if they have a specific amount of relevant development history/contributions/etc? either way my bad, not trying to make any noise here :( CartridgeCulture (talk) 06:54, 21 October 2021 (EDT)
- It's more about whether there's enough content to justify a page - the Omikron page will already detail David Bowie's involvement, and since he didn't do anything else Sega-related as far as I can tell, all a dedicated David Bowie page is going to offer is "worked on Omikron", i.e. we're just duplicating the Sega-related information.
- Michael Jackson, meanwhile, has been in games, has been consulted on things, has inspired certain Sega products, etc.. So it's about making a judgement on what is worthwhile. -Black Squirrel (talk) 07:19, 21 October 2021 (EDT)
Fun working with you this month on the Chieki Aoki corrections! Embarrassed to say I still can't figure out how to properly edit multicredit "production credits" sections on pages like Akinori Nishiyama, who is still misidentified there as Chiemshi for PSII, PSIII, and in his production credits header's aliases. For whatever reason, only half of the multicolumn appears for editing, and all the titles tend to disappear when I try to edit anyhow. Is there a simple thing I'm missing? In any event, I'd love to fix those bits! Zanza (talk) 01:19, 19 December 2021 (EST)
- yeah you too! I legit always enjoy the few moments of interaction that happen here ;p Hm ok, I wouldn't know what's going on without seeing it. I looked at Akinori Nishiyama's page... so in the past, production credits were often entered manually, but we've been moving over to automated templates. So if you were to edit his production credits section, you'd see a ProductionHistory template, with a | separating the word ProductionHistory and Nishiyama's credited names/aliases. The template automatically checks every page for his name, and fills that template upon clicking Actions > Purge cache (in the top right.) However, you'll also see a manual list of credits below that. If you see an error there, just delete the entire line. We're getting rid of those manual lists anyway.
- As for getting "Chiemushi" and "Chiemshi" out of that automated template, just delete them (and any extra | symbols) from the template's list of names/aliases. Once you Purge cache the page, that template shouldn't be pulling credits for those aliases anymore. Hope that helps! If you're still running into issues let me know, I'm on discord if thats easier too :) CartridgeCulture (talk) 01:35, 19 December 2021 (EST)
- Big thanks! Yes, the purge cache option did it. Until I selected that, post-edit it was just showing blanks for all titles on the left column. Anyway, this is wonderful! Thanks to this help and your kindly creating the basic page for Chieko Aoki, we now have proper credit for this under-recognized female director of stories that were way ahead of their time! Happily, most other common English credit sources like Mobygames are correct these days as well, and I even submitted her name to gamefaqs, though Nishiyama is still there as a duplicate director. But having the proper credits here on SegaRetro will go a long way as the most authoritative source for these things! Zanza (talk) 12:49, 19 December 2021 (EST)