From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Master System|
|Original system(s): Arcade boards|
|Publisher(s) of original games: Irem|
|Developer(s) of original games: Irem|
|Peripherals supported: FM Sound Unit|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Vigilante is an arcade beat-'em-up game released by Irem in 1988. The following year it was ported and published by Sega for the Sega Master System. Upon release, Vigilante was considered to be a sequel to the 1984 arcade game, Kung-Fu Master (known as Spartan X in Japan and in its NES incarnation, simply Kung-Fu).
Vigilante is a side-scrolling beat-'em-up game where an unnamed player protagonist (the "vigilante") attempts to rescue his girlfriend, Madonna (Maria in this Master System version) from a group known as the Skinheads (Rogues).
Although this version of the game was never released in Japan, the Master System Vigilante is compatible with the FM Sound Unit which was only supported by Japanese (and Korean) consoles.
Gameplay is similar to Kung-Fu Master, with the exception that it is now possible to pick up nunchaku to deal extra damage. A subsequent hit will cause the player to drop the nunchaku. punches (or attacks with the nunchaku) and kicks, + jumps.
There are five stages set across the city of New York.
|Stage 1 - City Streets|
|Boss: Harly Hog|
|Stage 2 - Junkyard|
|Boss: Mad Dog|
|Stage 3 - Bridge|
|Boss: Macehead The Horrible|
|Stage 4 - Downtown|
|Boss: Iron Brian|
|Stage 5 - Construction Sites|
|Boss: Giant Defiant|
- Main article: Vigilante/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- Computer Entertainer, "June 1989" (US; 1989-06-19), page 16
- ACE, "June 1989" (UK; 1989-xx-xx), page 50
- ACE, "September 1989" (UK; 1989-08-03), page 82
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "" (UK; 1989-10-16), page 75
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "Volume IV" (UK; 1990-11-xx), page 109/110 (109)
- Computer & Video Games, "May 1989" (UK; 1989-04-11), page 87
- The Games Machine, "May 1989" (UK; 1989-04-20), page 59
- Hobby Consolas, "Febrero 1992" (ES; 1992-xx-xx), page 83 (75)
- New Computer Express, "September 16, 1989" (UK; 1989-09-14), page 58
- Power Play, "14: 5/89" (DE; 1989-04-xx), page 57
- S: The Sega Magazine, "July 1990" (UK; 1990-06-07), page 25
- Sega Power, "October 1991" (UK; 1991-09-05), page 60
- Sega Pro, "April 1992" (UK; 1992-03-19), page 31
- Zero, "November 1989" (UK; 1989-10-12), page 63
NEC Retro has more information related to Vigilante.