From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Master System|
|Original system(s): Arcade boards|
|Publisher(s) of original games: Irem|
|Developer(s) of original games: Irem|
|Peripherals supported: FM Sound Unit|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Vigilante is an arcade beat-'em-up game released by Irem in 1988. The following year it was ported and published by Sega for the Sega Master System. Upon release, Vigilante was considered to be a sequel to the 1984 arcade game, Kung-Fu Master (known as Spartan X in Japan and in its NES incarnation, simply Kung-Fu).
Vigilante is a side-scrolling beat-'em-up game where an unnamed player protagonist (the "vigilante") attempts to rescue his girlfriend, Madonna (Maria in this Master System version) from a group known as the Skinheads (Rogues).
Although this version of the game was never released in Japan, the Master System Vigilante is compatible with the FM Sound Unit which was only supported by Japanese (and Korean) consoles.
Gameplay is similar to Kung-Fu Master, with the exception that it is now possible to pick up nunchaku to deal extra damage. A subsequent hit will cause the player to drop the nunchaku. punches (or attacks with the nunchaku) and kicks, + jumps.
There are five stages set across the city of New York.
|Stage 1 - City Streets|
|Boss: Harly Hog|
|Stage 2 - Junkyard|
|Boss: Mad Dog|
|Stage 3 - Bridge|
|Boss: Macehead The Horrible|
|Stage 4 - Downtown|
|Boss: Iron Brian|
|Stage 5 - Construction Sites|
|Boss: Giant Defiant|
- Main article: Vigilante/Magazine articles.
also published in:
- ACE (UK) #24: "September 1989" (1989-08-03)
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
ROM dump status
- File:EGM US 002.pdf, page 71
- File:ACE UK 21.pdf, page 50
- File:ACE UK 24.pdf, page 82
- File:CompleteGuideToConsoles UK 01.pdf, page 75
- File:CGtC UK 04.pdf, page 109
- File:CVG UK 091.pdf, page 87
- The Games Machine, "May 1989" (UK; 1989-04-20), page 59
- File:HobbyConsolas ES 005.pdf, page 75
- File:PowerPlay DE 014.pdf, page 57
- S: The Sega Magazine, "July 1990" (UK; 1990-xx-xx), page 25
- File:SegaPro UK 06.pdf, page 31
- File:Zero UK 01.pdf, page 63
NEC Retro has more information related to Vigilante.