Pro Action Replay 2 cartridge for Sega Mega Drive.
Action Replay is the brand name of a series of devices created by Datel, primarily used for changing the behavior of video games. It's been released on a variety of consoles starting with the Commodore 64 version which was released in the late 80's. Versions were released for Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive, Sega Game Gear, Sega Saturn, and Sega Dreamcast. The Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast versions were released as the GameShark in the US.
- With the Action Replay, users can obtain objects that are not obtainable during normal gameplay.
- Action Replay allows users to have infinite amounts of limited resources, such as lives, time, money, or ammunition.
- Action Replay lets users access levels that are not normally available (most of these levels were usually used for beta testing, or were removed from normal gameplay).
- Action Replay can activate programmer menus usually named "Debug Menus" that can be accessed with the correct parameter enabled that are normally unavailable to the player. Some functions/features that are usually included can be of great benefit to the player, such as access to Level Warps, Invincibility, various Test modes and unlocking various game features in an instant.
- Some Action Replay models allow import games to be played.
Known Releases on Sega Systems
- Sega Master System: Released in UK and Germany. Pro Action Replay
- Sega Game Gear: Pro Action Replay
- Sega Mega Drive/Genesis: Action Replay, Pro Action Replay, Pro Action Replay 2
- Sega Mega CD: Pro Action Replay CDX (Does not support cheat codes, just allows the system to play import games)
- Sega Saturn: Action Replay, Pro Action Replay, Pro Action Replay 4M (Two versions; one with 4MB Ram Special Games and auto detection which RAM is needed, 4MB Ram Special Games with Manually selectable detection), Pro Action Replay 4-in-1, Action Replay Plus
- Sega Dreamcast: Action Replay CDX, Equalizer Xtreme
Master System Version
Game Gear Version
Mega Drive Version