Sega Mega CD vs Mega-CD
Well, the dilemma's kinda "stick to 1 for consistency and make 2 a large global change except that's really hard/time-consuming to do so will never probably never be done". You're pretty much forced to make anything like this an ongoing project that's done bit by bit.
And I really do think "Mega-CD" is best. Japanese and European branding doesn't use "Sega" as part of the thing's name, so that's out; Japanese and European branding very clearly has a hyphen, so that's in. It's just a longstanding typo that no one ever noticed or cared about, that's all... same with most Europeans being big on "Megadrive", I'll bet some magazine started that.
I know I should just be nice and talk about page moves on talk pages but... I'm just tired of 'waiting'... for everything, little pauses and big pauses everywhere and total setbacks and redos and all of those little things called 'wasting time'; I'm frustrated. I'm sorry. I'm frustrated. Ugh. Sorry. Despatche (talk) 12:14, 26 November 2013 (CST)
- I sort-of agree with you - it should be, at the very least "Sega Mega-CD" (also this is a really quick fix for sysops - we can replace text en masse).
- The problem is I'm not so keen on dropping the "Sega". At least... not without one of my bosses weighing in on the discussion. There are two things:
- 1) Every instance of "Sega" should really be "SEGA" (except when referring to North American Sega Dreamcasts??), but I'd like to think that's an exception here because constant use of capital letters makes things less readable, and wikis are meant to be read.
- 2) Half the systems prefix themselves with "Sega", half don't, and I wouldn't want to leave a job half done. The full list would be something like:
- Sega Master System
- Sega Mega Drive (?? might just be "Mega Drive")
- Game Gear (debatable - Europe always used "Sega Game Gear", Japan/Brazil always used "Game Gear", North America used both)
- 32X (but is this now too short?)
- Sega Saturn
(and none of the arcade systems would prefix things with "Sega")
- but that's a massive job, which is why I'm reluctant to jump in. What we have at the moment isn't "wrong" - it's just less accurate. Still "Sega Mega CD" feels more "right" than, say "Microsoft Xbox 360" -Black Squirrel (talk) 13:08, 26 November 2013 (CST)
- Mega-CD should include the hyphen. It does require a bit of work in addition to a mass text replace, because new categories must be created manually. I'm not inclined to drop the "Sega" prefix from any consoles though. Even if Mega-CD doesn't have the prefix officially, half the other Sega consoles do, and it would seem weird and inconsistent to reflect that here. A case could also be made for dropping "Sega" from every console name. - Hivebrain (talk) 14:36, 26 November 2013 (CST)