From Sega Retro
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
The GoodTools is a collection of programs for Windows created by Cowering to label and organise ROM files. The tools cover a variety of older consoles and computers, each of which has its own GoodTool to manage its own particular set of ROMs. The tools themselves can perform a variety of functions, including renaming ROM files to match the GoodTool conventions, sorting ROMs into folders depending on their labels, and generating a list of missing ROMs.
- (U) - USA
- (J) - Japan
- (E) - Europe
- (JU), (UE), (JUE) - Combination of the above
- (W) - World (same as (JUE))
- (A) - US for newer Mega Drive games; Australia for all else
- (B) - Japan for newer Mega Drive games
- (C) - China
- (D) - Dutch
- (F) - World for newer Mega Drive games; France for all else
- (FC) - French Canadian
- (FN) - Finland
- (G) - Germany
- (GR) - Greece
- (HK) - Hong Kong
- (I) - Italy
- (K) - Korea
- (NL) - Netherlands
- (S) - Spain
- (Sw) - Sweden
- (UK) - United Kingdom
- (Unk) - Unknown Country
- (-) - Unknown Country
- (PD) - Public domain
- (Unl) - Unlicensed
- (Mn) - Game has n languages
- [!] - The game is a verified good dump
- [aX] - The game is an alternative re-release to the original copy
- [bX] - The game is a bad dump. These are useless. A bad dump often occurs with an older game or a faulty dumper (bad connection). Another common source of [b] ROMs is a corrupted upload to a release FTP.
- [fX] - A fixed game has been altered in some way so that it will run better on a copier or emulator.
- [hX] - The game has been hacked
- [h1C] - Further identifies a hack as a cartname hack
- [oX] - An overdumped ROM image has more data than is actually in the cart. The extra information means nothing and is removed from the true image.
- [pX] - A pirated version of a ROM Image. Usually the copyright messages and company names are corrupted/removed.
- [tX] - The game has been supplied with a trainer
- [T+XXX] - Most recent version of a ROM translation
- [T-XXX] - Obsolete version of a ROM translation
- [x] - Wrong checksum (Needs verifying). Potentially- [c][!] or a bad dump
- (1) - Carts with this code will run on both Japanese and Korean machines.
- (32X) - 32X game
- (4) - While this code is technically the same as a (U) code, it is a newer header format and represents that the cart will run on USA and Brazil NTSC machines.
- (5) - The game will only run on NTSC systems
- (8) - The game will only run on PAL systems
- (A) - equivalent to (U)
- (B) - This country code indicates that the cart will run on any non-US machine.
- [c] - This code represents a cart known to not use Sega's standard checksum routine; emulators with an autofix checksum feature will need to have that feature disabled to run the game.
- (F) - equivalent to (JUE) or (W)
- (J-Cart) - Codemasters J-Cart
- (MP) - MegaPlay (only Sonic the Hedgehog is in GoodGen).
- (REVSC02) - Revision ripped from Sonic Compilation (only Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is in GoodGen).