From Sega Retro
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Developer: Bloodlust Software|
|Programmed in: Assembly, C++|
|Last release date: 1998-08-18 (22 years ago)|
|Last version: X.XX|
Genecyst was a popular Sega Mega Drive emulator for DOS by Bloodlust Software (the same team that made NESticle). Until the release of Gens, it was widely regarded to be the best Genesis/Mega Drive emulator with the nearest competitor being KGen. Genecyst introduced the still very popular savestate format .gsx and music logging format .gym.
Since Gens appeared with many features such as Sega Mega-CD emulation, as well as having a Microsoft Windows-based GUI, Genecyst has been left on the shelf. It is still remarkably fast on older CPUs, and has a number of useful features such as real-time VRAM and palette viewing. It can also be used to convert SMD format Mega Drive ROMs to BIN format.
The emulator is no longer updated.
File: Genecyst vX.XX.7z (293 kB) (info)
Current version: X.XX
- Genecyst versions 0.12 to 0.32b (info) (776 kB)
- Genecyst v0.12 (1997-06-30)
- Genecyst v0.13 (1997-07-05)
- Genecyst v0.14 (1997-07-15)
- Genecyst v0.20 (1997-07-28)
- Genecyst v0.30 (1997-09-25)
- Genecyst v0.31 (1997-09-26)
- Genecyst v0.32 (1997-09-27)
- Genecyst v0.32b (1997-09-27)