Kung Fu Kid
From Sega Retro
|Kung Fu Kid|
|System(s): Sega Master System|
|Number of players: 1-2 (alternating)|
Kung Fu Kid, known as Makai Retsuden (魔界列伝) in Japan, is a beat-'em-up action game developed and published by Sega for the Sega Master System. It is a sequel to the SG-1000 game Dragon Wang, in which the player reprises the role of Wang, a kung fu master.
In Brazil this game was re-released as Sapo Xulé O Mestre do Kung Fu in 1995, complete with graphical changes.
The young kung fu master Wang must defeat the evil Madanda and his henchman Kyong Shi to avenge the death of his master, Tayron.
The game is a beat-'em-up. The goal is to make it to the end of each stage, where a boss fight awaits. Enemies continually pour in to challenge Wang. Wang moves with and and crouches with . He jumps with ; he jumps higher the longer the button is held. He can jump off walls by pressing again after touching the wall. Wang attacks by kicking with . He can do a sweep kick with + or kick in mid-air by pressing after jumping. He can also collect talismans that appear in the air and throw them at enemies with +.
Wang has a life meter that goes down as he takes damage from foes. He loses a life if he loses his entire life meter, and the game ends if he runs out of lives. The player gains an extra life for earning 30,000 points and another for every 1,200 points earned after that. Each stage is timed, and the player also loses a life if time runs out.
|Gives 5 talismans to Wang, which can be thrown at enemies to attack them.|
|Gives 5 talismans to Wang. The first super talisman that Wang collects upgrades his talismans to super talismans, which fly faster and farther and do more damage.|
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Kung Fu Kid||Kung Fu Kid|
|English (US)||Kung Fu Kid||Kung Fu Kid|
- Main article: Kung Fu Kid/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
|Master System, BX†|
ROM dump status
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/segamark3/software.html (Wayback Machine: 2019-06-21 03:44)
- Computer Entertainer, "November 1987" (US; 1987-11-xx), page 14
- File:SMSGamesCatalogueUK.pdf, page 2
- The Mastertronic Catalogue (UK; 1988), page 2
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "" (UK; 1989-10-16), page 59
- Complete Guide to Consoles, "Volume IV" (UK; 1990-11-xx), page 100
- The Complete Guide to Sega, "" (UK; 1991-05-xx), page 58
- Console XS, "June/July 1992" (UK; 1992-04-23), page 142
- Computer & Video Games, "May 1988" (UK; 1988-04-15), page 122
- Mean Machines Sega, "October 1992" (UK; 1992-09-xx), page 135
- Power Play, "Ausgabe 3" (DE; 1988-02-22), page 90
- Sega Power, "October 1991" (UK; 1991-09-05), page 58
- Sega Pro, "February 1992" (UK; 1992-01-16), page 18
- Sega Pro, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-11), page 71
- Tilt, "Mai 1988" (FR; 1988-0x-xx), page 100
|Kung Fu Kid|