From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega-CD|
|Publisher: The Software Toolworks|
|Developer: Cryo Interactive Entertainment|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
MegaRace is a Sega Mega-CD racing/shooting game developed by Cryo Interactive Entertainment and published by The Software Toolworks. Despite being an European game (and being advertised in Europe), the Mega-CD version was only released in North America. It was given a supposed release date of May 1994 in the UK.
MegaRace is a futuristic racing game set in a virtual world where the objective is either to win in a three-lap race or destroy all opponents on the track. It is one of several racing games produced around this period where tracks are represented entirely by full motion video - while the player can accelerate and break, it is not possible to "turn" your vehicle, with and merely adjusting its horizontal position on-screen.
In game music is not streamed off the CD, instead being generated by the sound chips of the Mega Drive.
MegaRace was followed by MegaRace 2 and MegaRace 3 in 1996 and 2002, respectively.
- Main article: MegaRace/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- Computer & Video Games, "May 1994" (UK; 1994-04-15), page 78
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "June 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 26
- Consoles +, "Septembre 1994" (FR; 1994-xx-xx), page 147
- Computer & Video Games, "October 1994" (UK; 1994-09-15), page 99
- Joypad, "Septembre 1994" (FR; 1994-xx-xx), page 109
- Mean Machines Sega, "November 1994" (UK; 1994-09-30), page 102