From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega System 1, SG-1000|
|Publisher: Sega Stern (US)|
|Number of players: 1-2 (alternating)|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Star Jacker (スタージャッカー) is a shoot 'em up video game released for Sega System 1 arcade hardware in 1983.
It is the only SG-1000 game from 1983 with an exact release date.
A "new feeling" space game. Glorious space troops fight against invading "Dester" army. Avoid UFO's continuous attacks weaving left and right, up and down. Counter-attack by using your fire button. Lead the space troops to the carrier passing through the various mysteriy zones.
— EU SG-1000 box backcover 
Unlike most shoot 'em ups, the player initially controls three space ships, losing one each time the player dies. This means on the first life you will have three times the amount of firepower than on your last.
Like Xevious there are two types of weapon - forward lasers for flying enemies and bombs for bases.
Similar to how Bally Midway licensed other Sega games for US release at the time, Star Jacker was licensed to Stern Electronics for distribution in the US. This is due to Sega temporarily leaving the American arcade business at the time.
Star Jacker was ported to the SG-1000 in the same year. Due to the limitations of the console there are fewer variations in backgrounds and the graphics are far simpler overall. The player in this version starts with four ships rather than three, however.
System 1 version
- Hard Work By: Hideki Sato
- Secured by: Masatoshi Mizunaga
- Programed by: Hiroshi Nakayama, Katsuya Kazihara, Katsunori Kanazawa
- Designed by: Eiro Nagata, Shozo Takihi
- Sound by: Hideo Kume
- Creator by: Takaya Ida
- Sega Enterprises 22 April 1983
- Main article: Star Jacker/Magazine articles.
System 1 version
|System 1, US|
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 https://sega.jp/history/hard/sc3000/software.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-09-28 02:34)
- ↑ Sega Arcade History, Enterbrain, page 51
- ↑ Game Machine, "1985-07-15" (JP; 1985-07-15), page 9
- ↑ L'Ordinateur_Individuel, "Septembre 1984" (FR; 1984-09-xx), page 93
- ↑ Computer Input, "December 1983" (NZ; 1983-xx-xx), page 27
- ↑ File:Star Jacker SG1000 AU Back.jpg
- ↑ Computer Input, "November 1983" (NZ; 1983-xx-xx), page 25
- ↑ L'Ordinateur_Individuel, "Septembre 1984" (FR; 1984-09-xx), page 162
Main page | Comparisons | Hidden content | Magazine articles | Reception