From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Developer: Binary Systems, Electronic Arts, porting: BlueSky Software|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
You control an astronaut in a space program who uses the program's limited funds to set up a spaceflight that completes a variety of missions. You do this by first building your crew and ship, then taking them off into space to explore.
Completing these missions gives the player MU (monetary units). Other very important sources of MU are digging for metals and suggestion planets colonization.
Fuel usage, gravity, temperature, weight load etc. must be considered during all missions, enhancing the simulation experience.
Compared to the PC original, most of the graphics have been updated. The game came with a space map as pack-in. The instruction manual contains the story of a starship captain, which can be used as a walkthrough, although not every item location was revealed.
It should be noted that the player is never forced to actually complete a mission, one might fly and explore as long as there are enough resources. The game however has an ending that requires a sequence of discoveries to be made: Uncover the reasons for the so called "flaring" phenomena and destroy the source of it.
The game got a sequel called Starflight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula, but it was never ported to a Sega system.
- Producer: Christopher Erhardt
- Associate Producer: Roland Kippenhan III
- Assistant Producer: Steve Matulac
- Programmers: Richard Karpp, Keith Freiheit, Antony Ignacio
- Technical Director: Jesse Taylor
- Game Graphics: Geoffrey Knobel, Rahim Mehra, David Fenderson
- Music and Sound Composition: Michael Bartlow
- Sound and Music Driver: Rob Hubbard, Michael Bartlow
- Manual Art: Alan Okamoto
- Technical Drawings: Adrian Bourne
- Product Management: David Bamberger, Rob Sears
- Art Director: Nancy Waisanen
- Cover Art: John Berkey
- Package Design: William Gin
- Documentation Layout: Robert Gin
- Testing: Steve Matulac, Gerald Mclane, Mike Wallas
- Quality Assurance: Hunter Smith, Manny Granillo
- Cluebook Based on a Story by: T. L. Thompson
- Documentation: Andrea Smith
- Source: US manual
- Main article: Starflight/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
- File:GamePro US 027.pdf, page 39
- File:GamePro US 027.pdf, page 93
- Sega Power, "January 1992" (UK; 1991-12-05), page 52
- File:Starflight MD US Manual.pdf, page 142
- File:EGM US BuyersGuide 1992.pdf, page 28
- File:EGM US 032.pdf, page 20
- File:CVG UK 119.pdf, page 90
- File:GamePro US 027.pdf, page 38
- File:Joypad FR 001.pdf, page 44
- File:MeanMachines UK 12.pdf, page 72
- File:SegaPro UK 02.pdf, page 46