From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Sega Dreamcast, Steam|
|Publisher: Big Evil Corporation Mega Cat Studios|
|Developer: Big Evil Corporation|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Tanglewood is a game for the Sega Mega Drive and Sega Dreamcast developed by Matt Phillips of Big Evil Corporation, which was successfully crowdfunded on Kickstarter (with £54,830 pledged of its £48,000 goal).
Physical copies were produced and sold, but digital versions were also released on Itch.io and Steam on 14 August 2018, and later on GOG.com on 23 January 2019 (purchasing the game on digital platforms includes a Mega Drive BIN file that plays on emulators and flash carts like the Mega Everdrive).
The digital version is an emulator, EvilEmu, running on Windows, Linux and OS X. The Dreamcast version would have used the same emulator, but was delayed indefinitely due to lack of funds and time.
Set in the realm of Tanglewood, the game follows a young creature, Nymn, who is separated from his pack after the sun sets. Unable to get back to the safety of the family's underground home, Nymn must find a way to survive the night terrors and get to morning. Tanglewood’s world is a dangerous one after dark. Guiding Nymn, you must use your skills of evasion, traps and trickery to defeat predators.
- A mix of fast-paced 2D platforming action with puzzles, special abilities, tricks and trap.
- A story woven into the gameplay.
- Fluid, hand-drawn animations.
- Time of day cycle, influencing the types of enemies encountered.
- Collectibles, secret areas and bonus levels.
- Main article: Tanglewood/Changelog.
|Mega Drive, World (Mega Cat Studios; Red)|
ROM dump status
|4MB||2018-05||Official website & Steam||Full game v1.0|
|2MB||2018-05||Official website & Steam||Demo v0.9.37|
- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigevilcorporation/tanglewood-an-original-game-for-the-sega-genesis-m (Wayback Machine: 2019-07-27 12:29)
- https://megacatstudios.com/collections/16-bit/products/tanglewood?variant=32201373777994 (Wayback Machine: 2020-09-26 22:09)
- https://store.steampowered.com/app/837190/TANGLEWOOD/ (Wayback Machine: 2018-08-18 19:33)
- https://steamdb.info/app/837190/ (Wayback Machine: 2019-11-19 03:37)
- https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=837190 (Wayback Machine: 2019-11-28 17:18)
- http://www.sega-16.com/2017/04/interview-matt-phillips-tanglewood-game-developer/ (Wayback Machine: 2017-06-06 13:36)
- https://twitter.com/tanglewoodgame/status/1088030480593752064 (Wayback Machine: 2019-11-19 03:53)
- https://steamcommunity.com/app/837190/discussions/0/1733210552646755158/ (Wayback Machine: 2019-11-19 03:51)
- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/63454976/tanglewood-an-original-game-for-the-sega-genesis-m/posts/2521002 (Wayback Machine: 2019-11-19 03:57)