Le Mans 24
From Sega Retro
|Le Mans 24|
|System(s): Sega Model 3|
|Developer: Sega AM3|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Le Mans 24 (ル・マン 24) is a Sega Model 3 arcade game by Sega, based on the real life endurance race of the same name and licensed by its organisers, Automobile Club de l'Ouest. It is unrelated to Le Mans 24 Hours for the Sega Dreamcast.
A soundtrack was released the same year, eponymously titled Le Mans 24.
Le Mans 24 is unique among Sega racing games in that the races occur in real-time, with 24 in-game hours equivalent to roughly 10 minutes. Players have a limited amount of time to complete the 24 hour race and can earn extra time by passing other cars or completing a lap of the track. Likewise, being passed by another car subtracts time from the timer. If the timer runs out, the race continues even if there are no players. The player can choose to insert another credit and continue where s/he left off. Up to 3 twin cabinets can be linked to allow 6 player competition.
Le Mans 24 is much more realistic than other racing games of its era, with periods of rain affecting how the cars handle, simulated tire wear, and a day/night cycle.
|Nismo GTR LM - Nissan|
|Best acceleration of all the cars, but most suitable for beginners.|
|Ferrari F40 GTE|
|Returning from Scud Race, the most characteristic handling feature of this car is its easily-controlled four-wheel drift. Easy to drive.|
|McLaren BMW - F1 GTR|
|Also returning from Scud Race, the McLaren F1 is the best balanced car, enabling the player to really get the best from its driving experience.|
|Porsche 911 GT1|
|A well-balanced supercar with high top speed. Look out for those corners!|
|Sauber C9 - Mercedes|
|A high performance racer particularly suited to the expert player. The Merc is fast if driven skillfully.|
|The most difficult car to drive well, but when it is, it is the fastest of the 6 default cars.|
|Sega's mascot Sonic the Hedgehog driving a low-poly buggy. This car handles like the Mazda 787B, and its driver changes from Sonic to a rabbit (and back again) each time the car enters a pit stop.
To unlock this car, highlight the Nismo R33 at the car selection screen. While turning the wheel to the left and pressing the brake, hold down the start and V.R. 1+3 buttons, then step on the gas.
|The fastest vehicle in the game, the 917K is a rival car that the player races against if s/he manages to complete an entire 24 hour race. The Porsche 917K cannot be selected normally, but can be unlocked with a secret button combination.
This car can be unlocked using the same procedure to unlock Sonic, but this time, hold down the V.R. 1+2 buttons instead of V.R. 1+3.
- Director: Manabu Washio
- Chief Programmer: Narito Serizawa
- Programmer: Tadashi Kagawa, Yoshio Hirasawa, Atsushi Nakaza, Kiyoteru Fujiki, Jin-ichiro Okuda, Hideshi Kawatake
- Chief Designer: Kiyoshi Miyagi
- Car Model Designer: Hiroyuki Izuno, Satoru Okano
- Course Designer: Sachio Hatayama, Masaki Miyashita, Takeo Iwase, Harumi Azuma
- Effect & Motion Designer: Kunio Watanabe
- Sound Producer: Tai-hey
- Sound Supporter: Hiro, Sei Matsumura
- Publicist: Shunsuke Kato
- License Coordinator: Shigeru Tateishi, Masaru Agarida
- Assistant Director: Takuya Onuma
- Voice: Hisaki Nimiya
- Mechanical Supervisor: Masao Yoshimoto
- Mechanical Engineer: Toshiya Yamaguchi, Yumiko Ara
- Electrical Engineer: Hideyuki Yamada
- Cabinet Designer: Mayumi Kitano, Tetsuo Okabe
- Special Adviser: Yojiro Terada, Naoki Hattori
- Executive Producer: Hisao Oguchi
- Special Thanks: Atsushi Nakajima (Grand Prix Sokuho), Kazuya Minakoshi (Rev Speed), Tadashi Nakano (Asatsu), Jérôme Nakajima (Abcisse), Maki Ikegami (Abcisse), Norimasa Yatsuzuka, Kyoshi Ieizumi, Shinsuke Miyamura, Minoru Matsuba, Masaaki Ito, Nobukazu Naruke, Keishiro Kotera, Yasuhiro Mori, Kazuhiro Akaba, Masaki Takahashi, Staff of Ikebukuro Gigo, Rookies of AM3 Design, ACO, Mazdaspeed, Nismo, Mercedez-Benz, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Dunlop, Kenwood, Jomo, Michelin, Mobil, Racing On, ampm, Team Taisan
- Presented by: AM R&D Dept. #3 & #4
- Main article: Le Mans 24/Magazine articles.
|Model 3, UK|