Service Games, Panama
From Sega Retro
|Service Games, Panama|
This teeny-tiny article needs some work. You can help us by expanding it.
Service Games, Panama was the third branch of Service Games to be opened. Opening in September 1953, it was jointly owned by the five men behind Service Games, Hawaii and Service Games, Japan; Irving Bromberg, Martin Bromley, Richard Stewart, Raymond Lemaire, and James Humpert.
Service Games, Panama was designed to be the centre of all Service Games operations moving forward. Changes in US gambling laws made business in Hawaii less viable for distributing slot machines, so the headquarters was moved to Panama as a means to streamline the operation. The idea was simple; Service Games, Japan would manufacture equipment, and Service Games, Panama would purchase it, distributing it to markets across the Pacific. It would also work with local distributors, effectively becoming a middle-man.
In 1960, Service Games, Panama became distributors for the islands of Taiwan and Okinawa (taking over from Barclay & Company). At this time it was distributing on behalf of Sega (Nihon Kikai Seizou), Rock-Ola, Bally and American Shuffleboard, among others.
April 12, 1962, Service Games, Panama became Club Specialty Overseas, Inc. (CSOI). CSOI was essentially the same company, but is thought to have changed its name to hide the "Service Games" brand, which had had several run-ins with law enforcement.
- ↑ Cash Box, "August 11, 1962" (US; 1962-08-11), page 318
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Fraud and Corruption in Management of Military Club Systems/Illegal Currency Manipulations Affecting South Vietnam: US Senate Hearings (1969-09-30 — 1969-10-07), page 1884
- ↑ File:TheHonoluluAdvertiser US 1961-08-16; page 5 (A5).png
- ↑ File:TheHonoluluAdvertiser US 1962-06-26; page 4 (A-4).png
- ↑ File:Honolulu Star-Bulletin US 1962-06-26; page 3 (1-B).png
- ↑ Cash Box, "July 30, 1960" (US; 1960-07-30), page 56
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Billboard, "September 12, 1960" (US; 1960-09-12), page 89
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Cash Box, "September 17, 1960" (US; 1960-09-17), page 45