From Sega Retro
|System(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Windows PC, Steam|
|Genre: Simulation RPG|
Valkyria Chronicles, called Senjou no Valkyria (戦場のヴァルキュリア) in Japan, is a tactical role-playing game developed published by Sega. It was released on PlayStation 3 in Japan on 24 April 2008. A European version was then released on 31 October 2008, followed by a North American version released on 4 November 2008. Years later, Sega released a PC port through Steam on 11 November 2014. In 2016 the game was released on PlayStation 4 as Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, or Senjou no Valkyria Remastered (戦場のヴァルキュリア リマスター) in Japan. In 2018, a Nintendo Switch port was released with all DLC included.
The game is set in Europa, a fictional version of World War II Europe, in 1935. Because of its abundance of Ragnite ore, which can be refined into a powerful fuel, the neutral nation of Gallia comes under attack from the East Europan Imperial Alliance, which is itself engaged in a war with the Atlantic Federation. Players take control of a militia squad of Gallian nationals, dedicated to repelling the invasion. The game's visuals, which utilize SEGA's CANVAS graphics engine, resemble a watercolor painting in motion.
In the year 1935 E.C. the continent of Europa is dominated by two superpowers: The Autocratic East Europan Imperial Alliance in the east and a commonwealth of loosely allied democracies known as the Atlantic Federation in the west. The economies of both powers depend on a precious multi-purpose mineral called Ragnite. Its growing scarcity results in the Empire declaring war on the Federation, sparking the Second Europan War. The Empire uses its military superiority to quickly put the Federation on the defensive. Emboldened by their progress and momentum, the Empire decides to invade the neutral Principality of Gallia in order to seize its rich Ragnite deposits.
When Imperial forces launch an attack on the Gallian border town of Bruhl, Welkin Gunther, son of late Gallian national hero General Belgen Gunther, is forced to fight for his life alongside the town watch captain, Alicia Melchiott. Together with Welkin's adopted sister Isara and using Belgen's prototype tank from the first war, the Edelweiss, they escape to Gallia's capital, Randgriz, and subsequently join the country's militia forces. Welkin is given the rank of lieutenant and assumes command of the newly-formed Squad 7, with Alicia acting as his non-commissioned officer. Initially, members of the squad question Welkin's qualifications due to a lack of combat experience; however, he quickly earns their trust and loyalty with his tactical genius. Welkin and Alicia soon become romantically engaged.
After Squad 7 wages a successful campaign against Imperial forces, the crown prince Maximilian deploys one of his commanders, Selvaria Bles, equipped with the Ragnite lance and shield of the ancient Valkyrian race, thought to have saved the ancient world from the Darcsen race. Using innate magic powers, she decimates the Gallian army. Alicia is shot by Welkin's archeologist colleague, Faldio, in order to awaken her own latent Valkyrian powers. Alicia is able to drive Selveria back, allowing the Gallians to advance to the border. Selvaria commits suicide by using the "final flame" in defense of the Ghirlandaio fortress, killing the self-serving Gallian general and wiping out most of Gallia's army, but sparing Squad 7.
Maximilian, wanting to create his own empire, uses his ultimate weapon, a "land dreadnought" called the Marmota, to break through Gallia's defenses and steal a giant Valkyrian lance from within Randgriz Castle. The princess reveals herself to be Darcsen - the Valkyrians rewrote history to make themselves into heroes, while an allied Darcsen tribe gained Randgriz as the spoils. With Alicia's help, Squad 7 are able to board the Marmota, destroying its engines and defeating Maximilian. Alicia and Welkin are rescued, and return to Bruhl, where they marry and raise a child.
- Main article: Valkyria Chronicles/Achievements.
Valkyria Chronicles is a spiritual successor of sorts to the Sakura Wars series, with many of the same creators on the Sega side behind it. The game was a critical success, and sales led to the franchise being at least expanded in Japan with multimedia expansions like an Anime series, and two more PlayStation Portable entries, Valkyria Chronicles II and Valkyria Chronicles III. The engine of handheld entries were used for the entries in the Shining entries, Shining Blade and Shining Ark. A new Valkyria entry for consoles was released in 2017, as Valkyria Revolution, however the engine and gameplay was not based on any Valkyria game before, but rather on the Shining entry, Shining Resonance.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Valkyria Chronicles||Valkyria Chronicles|
|English (US)||Valkyria Chronicles||Valkyria Chronicles|
|Japanese||戦場のヴァルキュリア||Senjou no Valkyria|
- Main article: Valkyria Chronicles/Downloadable content.
- Main article: Valkyria Chronicles/Magazine articles.
PlayStation 3 version
|PlayStation 3, BR (Favoritos)|
PlayStation 4 version
|PlayStation 4, RU|
- Sega of Japan catalogue pages (Japanese): PlayStation 3
- Official website (Japanese)
- Valkyria Chronicles on PlayStation.com: PlayStation 3: JP, JP (Limited), JP (PS3 the Best), JP (PS3 the Best Reprint), US, UK; PlayStation 4: JP, JP (digital), US, UK
- Valkyria Chronicles on PlayStation Store: PlayStation 3: JP, US, UK, AU; PlayStation 4: JP, US, UK, AU
- Valkyria Chronicles on Steam
- Nintendo catalogue pages: JP, US, UK
- http://blogs.sega.com/2008/11/04/valkyira-chronicles-ships-today/ (Wayback Machine: 2017-08-13 10:01)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm60063.html (Wayback Machine: 2008-04-30 23:11)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/hsn0014.html (Wayback Machine: 2008-04-30 23:28)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm55008.html (Wayback Machine: 2009-02-20 19:41)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm55027.html (Wayback Machine: 2011-06-03 17:07)
- http://www.softclub.ru/games/ps3/19395-valkyria-chronicles (Wayback Machine: 2017-08-03 23:35)
- http://blogs.sega.com/2014/11/12/valkyria-chronicles-smashes-all-expectations-to-reach-number-one-on-steam/ (Wayback Machine: 2014-11-13 11:01)
- http://blogs.sega.com/2014/10/31/pre-order-valkyria-chronicles-on-steam/ (Wayback Machine: 2014-11-01 00:43)
- https://steamdb.info/app/294860/ (Wayback Machine: 2014-12-06 02:33)
- http://www.softclub.ru/games/pc/23424-valkyria-chronicles (Wayback Machine: 2016-09-14 21:27)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/pljm84047.html (Wayback Machine: 2016-01-12 11:56)
- https://www.jp.playstation.com/games/valkyria-remaster-ps4/ (Wayback Machine: 2019-01-08 00:27)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/jp0177cusa03162_00bfvalkyrie000100.html (Wayback Machine: 2016-01-13 17:37)
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-CUSA03880_00-BFVALKYRIE000100) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-19 00:54)
- PlayStation Store (fr-fr; EP0177-CUSA03951_00-BFVALKYRIE000100) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-19 02:36)
- PlayStation Store (de-de; EP0177-CUSA03951_00-BFVALKYRIE000100) (Wayback Machine: 2019-01-08 00:29)
- PlayStation Store (en-gb; EP0177-CUSA03951_00-BFVALKYRIE000100) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-19 02:36)
- PlayStation Store (en-au; EP0177-CUSA03951_00-BFVALKYRIE000100) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-19 02:36)
- http://www.softclub.ru/games/ps4/23308-valkyria-chronicles-remastered-europa-edition (Wayback Machine: 2017-05-30 02:42)
- https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000009222 (Wayback Machine: 2019-04-22 18:27)
- https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/valkyria-chronicles-switch (Wayback Machine: 2019-04-04 02:44)
- https://www.nintendo.fr/Jeux/Jeux-a-telecharger-sur-Nintendo-Switch/Valkyria-Chronicles-1456426.html (archive.today)
- https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Valkyria-Chronicles-1456426.html (archive.today)
- https://www.nintendo.de/Spiele/Nintendo-Switch-Download-Software/Valkyria-Chronicles-1456426.html (archive.today)