Zero4 Champ DooZy-J Type-R
From Sega Retro
|Zero4 Champ DooZy-J Type-R|
|System(s): Sega Saturn|
|Sound driver: SCSP/CD-DA (16 tracks)|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Zero4 Champ DooZy-J Type-R (ゼロヨンチャンプ Doozy-J TypeR) is a 1997 touge racing game for the Sega Saturn. It was released by Media Rings exclusively in Japan as part of their Zero4 Champ series. It was released on the same day as the PlayStation game, Zero4 Champ DooZy-J - it is not currently known what makes Type-R different.
While the cover and name of the game suggest a racing title such as Sega Rally Championship and Daytona USA, it is actually made of a mix of genres: racing, dating sim, sound novel and RPG among others. The objective of the game is to guide the hero (Shinjo Kakeru if the default name is used) from San Francisco to New York, where he will be competing for the title of the "Zero4 World Champion". Along the road, many events will take place (some mandatory, others hidden) in the form of the aforementioned genres.
To progress through the game, you will be travelling from one city to another. The requirement for completing each city varies: on some cities, you will need to win the ranked race (you start at rank E and work your way up to rank A), on others, you will have to beat a certain driver on a non-ranked race, and on some other cities, you will be playing a mini-game.
To trigger these events, you will have to explore the city. Clicking the SCHEDULE button, will let plan your week and you can choose an activity among the 5 offered: "Explore the city", "Weekly job", "Daily job", "Car preformance test" and "Race with bets". Note that some of these activities might not be available on some cites. Out of the 5 activities, only 2 will be available when you first arrive at a city: exploring it and testing the car's performance. The other 3, if available, will be selectable after you find out about them by exploring the city first. By choosing to explore the city, you can go to different places in that city. Going to the correct place will trigger the next event (which might or might not be the final event for that city).
As an example, on the first city, San Francisco, you need to visit the Speedway and sign up for the next Ranked Race (they occur weekly each saturday). The following week, when saturday arrives, you will be taken to the Speedway automatically. If you win, you can move to the next city, Los Angeles, right away, or you can stay in San Francisco for a few extra weeks. Note that you can go back to previously cleared cities as well.
Before attempting a race you need to upgrade you car.
As you progress through the game, the opponents will get tougher so you will need to upgrade you car. This can be done in 2 ways: via your partner and via the Tunning Shop. Upgrading through the shop is a waste of time since it's very expensive and slow (and not every city has a tunning shop).
The way to properly do it is through your partner. When you plan you week, your partner's week will also be shown. When the word FREE appears, you can do one of 2 things: if you choose to explore the city that same day, your partner will join you. He/She won't be upgrading you car of course but you can trigger some special events this way. The other thing you can do is work or race. By doing this, your partner will work on your car. Except for the hidden partner, Eremy, none of your partners will be able to upgrade your car to it's maximum level.
After each ranked race, 2 potential partners will offer to join you. You can accept and switch you current partner or decline and stick with him/her.
The game can finish in 1 of 3 ways: be in New York by the time the World Championship starts (October 30th, 1998) and win, loose a race at the championship, or don't be in New York by the time the championship starts.
When winning the championship, you will move to the last race in Hawaii. After finishing this series of races, you will get an ending according to your current partner and his/her affection level. Note that loosing your partner is possible and this will lead to different endings as well. By not having a partner, it's possible to get an ending with special chracters such as the reporter, Jenny.
Tips and codes
- Slots jackpot:
- After inserting tokens into the slot machine and pulling the lever, pause the game and then press and hold , , and . All of the symbols in the slot drums will change to 7.
- Show partner's 3 sizes:
- Play the sound novel mini-game:
- Start a new game and enter your name as "Sound!" and "Novel" (without quotes).
- Start with items:
- Start a new game and enter your name as "サンキューー" without quotes. The cheat gives you present items (to give to your partner) and car parts.
- Super boost:
- Start a new game and enter your name as "うっひょぉ！" without quotes. During a race, press to gain instant boost.
- Partner maximum affection:
- Start a new game and enter your name as "クルクルッ！" without quotes. Your partner's affection towards you will be at max (check this at your partner's parameter screen. A smiling blue face represents the max level)
- Show credits:
- Access the special partner:
- To access the hidden partner, Eremy, you need to choose the LOOK option 3 times after each ranked race in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Indianapolis and Chicago. The first 3 times, Eremy will show, talk to you and leave. The fourth time, in Chicago, she will offer you to be you partner. What makes Eremy so special is the fact that she can upgrade all of you car specs up to level 8 (the max)
- Hidden shop menu at Grand Canyon:
- When you reach the Grand Canyon, you will have to play an RPG mini-game and you can go to the village to buy items. After you choose the "buy" option (買う), you can press or to access a special menu with premium items. has mostly weapons and armor while has accesories and consumables.
- Skip puzzle at Level 4 in RPG mini-game at Grand Canyon:
- Right at the beggining of Level 4, there's a puzzle. The objective is to open all boxes. Changing one will change the state of the adjacent boxes as well. If you change a box and try to open the purple door in the north without having all of the boxes open, you will fail and the puzzle will reset. Do this 3 times and your RPG-only partner, John, will solve the puzzle for you.
- Main article: Zero4 Champ DooZy-J Type-R/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
ROM dump status
|557,205,264||1997-05-11||CD-ROM (JP)||T-21401G V1.003|
This game has an extra content which can be viewed when accessing the disc on a PC.
|Folder / File||Type||Size||description|
|Z4_ABS.TXT||TXT (Abstract)||315||About this game.|
|Z4_BIB.TXT||TXT (Bibliographiced)||62||About this game|