Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer
From Sega Retro
- For the 2019 aftermarket re-release, see Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer (Columbus Circle). For the other aftermarket re-release, see Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer (Retro-Bit).
|Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Virtual Console|
|Developer: NCS M2|
|Number of players: 1|
Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer, commonly known as Gleylancer (グレイランサー), is a Sega Mega Drive shoot-'em-up game developed by NCS and published by Masaya. Originally released in Japan in July 1992, it was later ported to the Nintendo Wii's Virtual Console in 2008 by developer M2, and received a reprint in June 2019 by publisher Columbus Circle.
The name "Gley Lancer" is a misromanization of "grey lancer".
Lucia (ルーシア) is the 16-year-old daughter of a fighter pilot who disappears while fighting a war between humans and aliens in 2025. He was captured by aliens whom he had captured earlier who had the ability to teleport. Lucia hijacks the prototype fighter CSH-01-XA "Gley Lancer" (グレイランサー) to save him.
The game is a side-scrolling shoot-'em-up. The Gley Lancer is a standalone ship that moves in any direction with the D-Pad. It can change its speed with . It shoots straight ahead with , which can be held down for rapid-fire.
Up to two Gunner (ガンナー) sub-ships can be acquired and attached to the main ship. They are invulnerable and fire in any direction with the main ship. Before starting a game, the player is given a choice of how to maneuver Gunners around the ship and aim them:
- Normal: The Gunners face in the same direction that the ship is moving. While is held down, the facing of the Gunners is locked, regardless of how the ship moves.
- Reverse: Like Normal, except that the Gunners face the opposite direction of the ship's movement.
- Search: The Gunners automatically aim at the nearest enemy. Pressing toggles between the Gunners aiming at the same or different targets.
- Multi: Each Gunner is restricted to either the top or bottom 180-degree arc of the ship. Horizontal motion causes the Gunners to swivel in that direction. Although this prevents concentrated fire in any direction except the horizontals, it permits three-way firing. Holding , or only moving vertically, keeps the Gunners aiming in the same directions.
- Multi-R: Like Multi, except the Gunners swivel in the direction opposite to the ship's horizontal motion.
- Shadow: The Gunners imitate every motion of the ship, following a short distance behind. However, they can only fire forward. Holding fixes their positions relative to the ship.
- Roll: The Gunners constantly spin around the ship at 180 degrees from each other. Normally, they shoot away from each other, resulting in a kind of spiral fire pattern. Pressing toggles between this and the Gunners both firing forward.
The player can find special items that change the weapons of both Gunners. The Gley Lancer itself always has the same basic weapon.
The Gley Lancer is destroyed if it takes damage from an enemy. It respawns at a predetermined checkpoint at the cost of a life and without any Gunners. The game ends if the player runs out of lives.
|Twin Shot (ツイン)|
|Fires a rapid stream of double blue energy pulses.|
|Fires thin white lasers. Not quite as powerful as Twin Shot, but pierces enemies and inflicts multiple strikes on large enemies.|
|Shoots an arc of five purple energy pulses. Although the range is excellent, it suffers from a low fire rate: only one salvo from each Gunner can be on-screen at once.|
|Shoots moderate-range fireballs that can track along any solid surfaces they strike.|
|Spread Bomb (スプレッド)|
|Shoots flickering blue bombs. The bombs have low speed and fire rate, but create secondary explosions upon striking an enemy or solid surface.|
|Generates a continuous, mid-range beam of purple energy.|
|Bound Shot (バウンド)|
|Fires a stream of rapid green energy pulses that reflect off of solid surfaces.|
If the player has only one or no Gunners, collecting a weapon item equips another Gunner.
|Destroy to release an item.|
|Arms Gunners with the Twin Shot weapon.|
|Arms Gunners with the Laser weapon.|
|Arms Gunners with the 5-Way weapon.|
|Arms Gunners with the Burner weapon.|
|Arms Gunners with the Spread Bomb weapon.|
|Arms Gunners with the Saber weapon.|
|Arms Gunners with the Bound Shot weapon.|
|Gives the player an extra life.|
In 2006, the game received an English translation by fan translation group M.I.J.E.T.
The game received a reprint in June 2019 by publisher Columbus Circle.
In 2021, it was released on the Nintendo Switch, Windows, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5. This version adds save states and rewind functions as well as the ability to aim the Gunners independently using an analogue stick. It also translates all of the cutscene text into English.
- Producer: Toshiro Tsuchida
- Planning: Hikaru Sato
- Program: Yukihiro Higuchi
- Scroll: Eiji Koyama
- Object: Hiroshi Hayashi
- Music / Sound Effects: Cube, Yoshiaki Kubodera, Masanori Hikichi, Isao Mizoguchi, Noriyuki Iwadare
- Creator: Kaichi Satou
- Character Design: Hiroshi Aizawa
- Original Art / Animation: Hitoshi Kamata
- Visual Graphics: Masanori Sakurai, Hiroshi Hayashi
- Business Promotion: Masaki Uchida, Jun Mimura, Yasuaki Yokoe, Kyoko Katagiri
- Sales Promotion: Akio Matsuda, Norihiko Yonesaka, Kazuhiro Matsuda
- P.R.: Takashi Kikuchi, Hideo Iwasaki
- Cooperation: Manabu Takasugi, Tetsuya Ohya, Masayuki Iwamoto, Hideo Suzuki, Takayuki Jingu
- Executive Producer: Yasumasa Shirakura
- Gleylancer Produced by: Nippon Computer Systems Co. Ltd.
- Main article: Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
- Main article: Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer/Technical information.
- Sega of Japan Virtual Console pages: Mega Drive
- Nintendo catalogue pages: US, UK, AU
- Sega of Japan Project Egg pages: Mega Drive
- English translation patch by M.I.J.E.T. at Minimalist Jettison
- Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer Japanese to English manual translation at www.vgcomplete.com
- File:ABGleylancer MD JP Box.jpg
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software_l.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-07-02 23:21)
- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/software/06.html (Wayback Machine: 2018-03-05 22:42)
- http://vc.sega.jp:80/vc_gleylancer/ (Wayback Machine: 2008-02-27 13:34)
- http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/s8XeXVeUuiMuHl_8qG7VhxW4VwHw-jC- (Wayback Machine: 2010-11-23 00:51)
- http://www.nintendolife.com:80/reviews/2008/05/gley_lancer_virtual_console (Wayback Machine: 2017-07-01 19:46)
- https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Virtual-Console-Wii-/Gley-Lancer--277479.html (archive.today)
- http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?action=catalogue&prodcat_id=41&prod_id=19746&pageID=4 (Wayback Machine: 2012-04-03 01:44)
- File:Gleylancer MD credits.pdf
- 1700 igr dlya Sega, "" (RU; 2001-xx-xx), page 127
- 1700 igr dlya Sega, "" (RU; 2001-xx-xx), page 132
- Beep! MegaDrive, "August 1992" (JP; 1992-07-08), page 26
- Consoles +, "Juillet/Août 1992" (FR; 1992-0x-xx), page 58
- Mean Machines: The Essential Sega Guide, "" (UK; 1993-11-18), page 55
- Famitsu, "1992-07-24" (JP; 1992-07-10), page 40
- Game Mania, "May 1993" (UK; 1993-xx-xx), page 80
- Hippon Super, "August 1992" (JP; 1992-07-04), page 38
- Joypad, "Septembre 1992" (FR; 1992-0x-xx), page 48
- Joystick, "Septembre 1992" (FR; 1992-0x-xx), page 178
- Sega Mega Drive Advanced Gaming, "October 1992" (UK; 1992-xx-xx), page 32
- Sega Mega Drive Advanced Gaming, "January 1993" (UK; 199x-xx-xx), page 92
- Mega Drive Fan, "October 1992" (JP; 1992-09-xx), page 67
- Mega, "November 1992" (UK; 1992-10-15), page 57
- Mega Fun, "08/92" (DE; 1992-08-18), page 18
- MegaTech, "November 1992" (UK; 1992-10-20), page 56
- Mean Machines Sega, "November 1992" (UK; 1992-10-xx), page 102
- Sega Power, "November 1992" (UK; 1992-10-01), page 42
- Sega Pro, "October 1992" (UK; 1992-09-10), page 36
- Sega Pro, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-11), page 66
- Sega Force, "October 1992" (UK; 1992-09-10), page 52
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 85
- Supergame, "Outubro 1992" (BR; 1992-10-xx), page 14
- Tricks 16 bit, "Tricks Sega Gold 800 igr" (RU; 1998-03-20), page 83
- Video Games, "9/92" (DE; 1992-08-26), page 56
|Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer|