From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Virtual Console, Steam|
|Sound driver: SMPS 68000 (Treasure)|
|Number of players: 1|
Alien Soldier (エイリアンソルジャー) is a Mega Drive game developed by Treasure and published by Sega in 1995. It was one of the few Mega Drive games to be released in Japan and Europe, but not North America (however it was made available briefly through the Sega Channel service), and is now considered an extremely rare collectors item. It has since been re-released for the Wii's Virtual Console service, as well as being released as part of the Sega Ages Treasure Box disc for the PlayStation 2.
According to developer interviews, the game was released half-finished due to Mega Drive market collapsing.
In the same year an album was released.
- Like many other similar games, PAL release music and sound speed were optimized for 50hz while the gameplay speed wasn't optimized, running slower than it should.
- Some minor changes to the European version of the game were made, like the removal of the catchphrase "VISUALSHOCK! SPEEDSHOCK! SOUNDSHOCK! NOW IS THE TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!"
- Main Programmer: Viva! Choco Monkey DX
- Programmer: K.Fujita, M.Maegawa, Fukuryu
- Sound Programmer: M.Yaida
- Character Design: K.Shindoh
- Background Arts: H.Iuchi 8
- Background Design: Tsunehisa
- Guest Designer: T.Shiga
- Music by: N.Hanzawa
- Sound Effects: S.Murata
- Producer: Viva! Choco Monkey DX
- Supervisor: M.Maegawa
- Computer Designed by: Treasure
- Presented by: ©Sega 1995
- Source: In-game credits
- Main article: Alien Soldier/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- Sega of Japan Virtual Console pages: Mega Drive
- Nintendo catalogue pages: US, UK, AU
- Alien Soldier on Steam
- Mean Machines Sega, "July 1995" (UK; 1995-05-27), page 80
- Computer & Video Games, "June 1995" (UK; 1995-05-xx), page 52
- File:GamesWorld DE 0708.pdf, page 79
- https://steamdb.info/app/71116/ (archived: 2016-07-30 05:12)
- http://steamdb.info/app/71116/ (archived: 2013-05-22 19:18)
- http://steamdb.info/app/71116/ (archived: 2019-09-05 16:41)
- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/software/05.html (archived: 2018-03-05 23:22)
- http://vc.sega.jp:80/vc_aliensoldier/ (archived: 2007-10-14 02:15)
- http://www.nintendolife.com/games/megadrive/alien_soldier (archived: 2017-06-24 15:17)
- http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/8d_avWnVBDGnFOuvdttlDI3UJzTkMaov (archived: 2015-09-10 02:04)
- http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?action=catalogue&prodcat_id=41&prod_id=19723&pageID=4 (archived: 2012-04-03 03:13)
- http://http://shmuplations.com/aliensoldier/ (archived: 2014-10-01 20:07)
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 83 (85)
- CD Consoles, "Avril 1995" (FR; 1995-xx-xx), page 96-99 (96)
- Consoles +, "Avril 1995" (FR; 1995-xx-xx), page 131
- Computer & Video Games, "June 1995" (UK; 1995-05-xx), page 52-57 (52)
- Mean Machines Sega, "July 1995" (UK; 1995-05-27), page 80/81 (80)
- Player One, "Avril 1995" (FR; 1995-xx-xx), page 82-84 (82)
- Sega Power, "July 1995" (UK; 1995-xx-xx), page 34/35 (34)
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "March 1995" (JP; 1995-02-08), page 128 (130)