From Sega Retro
|System(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Steam, Nintendo Switch|
|Publisher: Sega Nintendo|
|Developer: PlatinumGames Nextech Bee Tribe|
|Number of players: 1|
- 1 Story
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 History
- 4 Versions
- 5 Downloadable content
- 6 Digital manuals
- 7 Magazine articles
- 8 Promotional material
- 9 Artwork
- 10 Physical scans
- 11 External links
- 12 References
Twenty years ago, from a coffin submerged beneath a gloomy lake, a mysterious woman awoke.
Unable to recall her past, or even her own name, only a single memory of her unknown origin was left impressed upon her: the horrifying "witches' power" to summon forth ferocious demons and annihilate the servants of heaven.
Returning to life in the modern world after centuries of absence, Bayonetta followed the clues of her hazy memories, eventually reaching the remote European city of Vigrid. Unimpeded by countless legions of angels assailing her...Fateful meetings drawing out lost memories...What lies ahead in wait for Bayonetta...?
Bayonetta: A mysterious witch returned to life in the modern world after hundreds of years of slumber. Wielding titanic magical powers, her battle against the forces of heaven continues, the reasons for doing so lost in the mists of her past. Armed with the Scarborough Fair, her favorite set of handguns equipped to both hands and feet, she practices the "bullet arts," a combination of gunfire and melee attacks. She can also perform the Wicked Weave - deadly attacks unleashed by summoning demonic entities through her magical hair that can easily devour entire hordes of angels.
Jeanne: A mysterious woman with a similar battle style and powers to Bayonetta. Often appearing along Bayonetta's course, she provokes her with an icy stare. She obviously holds some information about Bayonetta's past but her ultimate goal is unknown. Wielding her own set of four black handguns, she must be in pursuit of Bayonetta.
Luka: A journalist who is chasing Bayonetta to expose her true identity. His fate is tied closely to that of Bayonetta, which involves much ill feeling. Unlike most journalists, he has a special gadget under his sleeve which is capable of firing a grappling hook to access dangerous sites. His greater qualities derive from tremendous luck and an upbeat personality.
- Main article: Bayonetta/Achievements.
At E3 2014 it was revealed that Bayonetta would be getting an enhanced Wii U port and that there would be certain Nintendo costumes to wear that would affect the aesthetics of the game. The Wii U version also features the Japanese voice cast from Bayonetta: Bloody Fate as the original release only had spoken English dialogue worldwide. Later that year it was revealed that a physical version of Bayonetta would ship alongside physical copies of Bayonetta 2 worldwide with select European versions having Bayonetta packed in. Buying the Wii U version of the game digitally gives the purchaser a discount for Bayonetta 2.
On December 15th, 2015, it was announced that Bayonetta would be the final DLC character to be added to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U as the winner of a Fighter Ballot that was conducted from April 1st to October 3rd, 2015. Out of all negotiable and realizable characters, Bayonetta was the #1 choice in Europe and in the top 5 in the US, placing her as the #1 choice worldwide. She was then released among the final wave of DLC on February 3rd, 2016. She later returned in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a veteran fighter.
On April 1st, 2017, Sega Europe launched a Bayonetta-themed countdown site that ended on April 11th, 2017. At the end of the countdown it was revealed they were launching the game on PC via Steam that day.
At the Video Game Awards 2017 it was announced that Bayonetta would come as a digital download alongside a physical version of Bayonneta 2 for the Nintendo Switch in a package somewhat mirroring the Wii U release of the title. Once again, purchasing the game digitally will give users a discount on Bayonetta 2.
In its original form, Bayonetta renders at a 1280x720 screen resolution, targeting 60 frames per second during gameplay. However, no console versions of the game can reach this target consistently - the Xbox 360 rendering between 50-60FPS (with tearing) in most action scenes (boosted very slightly if running in backwards compatibility mode on an Xbox One), and the later Wii U port suffering similar (and sometimes more noticeable) problems.
The PlayStation 3 port of Bayonetta is often cited as among one of the worst 360-to-PS3 conversions of the era, averaging between 20-30FPS at worst (i.e. half that of the Xbox 360) and exibiting almost constant screen tearing while under stress. In addition, no console versions offer any form of anti-aliasing.
The 2017 PC release, debuting a full seven years after the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 builds, is capable at running in a number of arbitrary screen resolutions at a full 60FPS (higher frames rates not being supported), and expectedly allows users to adjust graphical features such as shadows and lighting. In all versions, cutscenes target 30FPS.
- Main article: Bayonetta/Changelog.
- Main article: Bayonetta/Downloadable content.
- Error creating thumbnail: convert: no decode delegate for this image format `' @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/560.
convert: no images defined `/home/sonicret/domains/segaretro.org/public_html/images/temp/transform_ff8332a8771d.jpg' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3258.
Wii U, JP
- Main article: Bayonetta/Magazine articles.
Xbox 360 version
|Sega Retro Average|
|Xbox 360, AU (Climax Edition)|
|Xbox 360, AS†|
PlayStation 3 version
|Sega Retro Average|
|PlayStation 3, AU (Climax Edition)|
|PlayStation 3, UK (Climax Edition)|
|PlayStation 3, ES (Climax Edition)|
|PlayStation 3, FR (Climax Edition)|
|PlayStation 3, MX (Favoritos)|
Wii U version
- Official website on Sega.com
- Official website (Japanese)
- Sega of Japan catalogue pages (Japanese): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Bayonetta on Xbox Marketplace: JP, US, UK, AU, KR
- Bayonetta on PlayStation.com: JP, JP (PS3 the Best), JP (PSN), US, UK, KR (Big Hit)
- Bayonetta on PlayStation Store: JP, US, UK, AU
- Bayonetta on Steam
- Nintendo catalogue pages: Wii U: US, UK; Nintendo Switch: US, UK, AU
- File:Bayonetta shipping PR.pdf
- http://www.xbox.com:80/en-US/games/b/bayonetta/ (archived: 2009-12-05 19:10)
- http://sega.jp/x/bayonetta/ (archived: 2010-12-21 03:04)
- https://www.4gamer.net/games/074/G007440/ (archived: 2019-02-17 06:14)
- File:Bayonetta 360 JP Box Platinum.jpg
- http://www.xbox.com:80/en-CA/games/b/bayonetta (archived: 2010-01-05 17:41)
- Xbox LIVE Marketplace (en-US; BAYONETTA/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253450813) (archived: 2011-03-05 15:37)
- Xbox LIVE Marketplace (en-GB; BAYONETTA/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253450813) (archived: 2011-05-01 04:19)
- Xbox LIVE Marketplace (fr-FR; BAYONETTA/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253450813) (archived: 2011-04-24 09:37)
- Xbox LIVE Marketplace (de-DE; BAYONETTA/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253450813) (archived: 2011-03-20 12:29)
- Xbox LIVE Marketplace (en-AU; BAYONETTA/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253450813) (archived: 2017-03-07 10:42)
- Xbox LIVE Marketplace (ja-JP; BAYONETTA/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253450813) (archived: 2012-01-16 09:12)
- Xbox LIVE Marketplace (ko-KR; BAYONETTA/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253450813) (archived: 2015-06-23 00:59)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm60174.html (archived: 2009-10-11 08:11)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm55016.html (archived: 2010-08-29 12:54)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/jp0177npjb00246_0000bayonettahddjp.html (archived: 2013-02-26 05:27)
- http://blogs.sega.com/2013/01/24/bayonetta-will-be-available-for-digital-download-on-psn/ (archived: 2017-06-14 22:19)
- PlayStation Store (fr-fr; EP0177-NPEB01134_00-00BAYONETTAHDDEU) (archived: 2018-03-26 19:29)
- PlayStation Store (de-de; EP0177-NPEB01134_00-00BAYONETTAHDDEU) (archived: 2018-11-24 20:28)
- PlayStation Store (en-au; EP0177-NPEB01134_00-00BAYONETTAHDDEU) (archived: 2018-03-26 19:29)
- http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/eBL7XRYuP5XoVR8EvcrEBRVQpi9YSjSK (archived: 2014-12-17 12:09)
- http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?action=news&nid=3553&pageID=6 (archived: 2015-01-24 09:39)
- https://steamdb.info/app/460790/ (archived: 2019-08-15 22:48)
- http://steamcommunity.com:80/games/460790/announcements/detail/1273802170612825269 (archived: 2017-05-26 00:24)
|Games in the Bayonetta Series|
|Bayonetta (2009) | Bayonetta/Forza Motorsport 3 (2010)|
|Bayonetta (2014) | Bayonetta 2 (2014)|
|8-Bit Bayonetta (2015)|
|8-Bit Bayonetta (2017) | Bayonetta (2017)|
|Bayonetta (2018) | Bayonetta 2 (2018) | Bayonetta 3 (????)|
|Bayonetta related media|
|Rodin's Selection (2009) | Bayonetta Original Soundtrack (2009) | Bayonetta: Music From The Video Game (2010) | Bayonetta: Bloody Fate Original Soundtrack (2014) +more|
|Bayonetta: The Official Guide (2010) | The Eyes of Bayonetta (2010) | Bayonetta 2: Prima Official Game Guide (2014)|
|The Eyes of Bayonetta (2010) | Bayonetta: Bloody Fate (2013)
Unsorted: Bayonetta Anime Complete Series + Soundtrack (xxxx)
|Bayonetta (2017) | Bayonetta - Player 2 (2017)|
|Other||List of Bayonetta merchandise|