From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Publisher: Kodansha Research Institute|
|Developer: Kodansha Research Institute, Geo Factory, Twofive, Warlock|
|Number of players: 1|
This teeny-tiny article needs some work. You can help us by expanding it.
Players will assume the role of an Unterstrumführer (equilavent of a second lieutenant) and take command of a Waffen-SS tank platoon. Starting from invasion of Poland, players will command up to 16 tanks in various battlefields in real time and attempt to destory enemy vehicles.
As the players complete levels, both player character and other tank commanders will be promoted to new ranks, gain medals and improve their abilities. New tanks and replacement commanders will also appear after every level. Since death of commanders in permament and amount of replacements are limited, player is encouraged to take good care of their tanks.
Gameplay takes place during real time. Obstacles in the field, such as trees, building or rock formations can lower accuracy and block shots while terrain can improve vehicles' speed or protection. All vehicles in the game have stronger armor in the front, weaker in the sides and weakest in the back, which means flanking enemies and protecting your own flanks will be crucial.
In 1999, Gaijin Productions released a partial translation patch which translated most of the menu options making the game at least playable. Name was translated to "Panzer Commander".
- Main article: Kishi Densetsu/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software_l.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-07-02 23:21)
- Beep! MegaDrive, "July 1993" (JP; 1993-06-08), page 12
- 1700 igr dlya Sega, "" (RU; 2003-03-10), page 230
- Beep! MegaDrive, "June 1993" (JP; 1993-05-08), page 23
- Dengeki Mega Drive, "June 1993" (JP; 1993-05-XX), page 32
- Hippon Super, "July 1993" (JP; 1993-06-04), page 45
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 85