This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
NBA Action 98 (NBAアクション98) is a basketball game released as part of Sega's NBA Action series for the Sega Saturn and Windows PCs.
The Expert Software PC release was named simply NBA Action and had different cover art. Screenshots on the back cover confirm it to be the same game and not the earlier NBA Action.
Due to Michael Jordan pulling out of the NBA Players Accociation in favour of his own licensing deals, NBA Action 98 replaces Jordan with "1 Guard", who wears a 98 shirt.
Previews suggest this game was once titled NBA Action '97, with a planned release of September 1997. After a small delay, it was retitled to take into account the apporaching new year.
NBA Action 98 was developed prior to Visual Concepts being bought by Sega. As such, roughly the same game exists on the PlayStation as NBA Fastbreak '98, which was developed by Visual Concepts for Midway Games.
- Producer: Mike Wallis
- Assistant Producer: Tracy Johnson
- Brand Manager: Brad Hogan
- Lead Testers: Lorne Asuncion, Mark Paniagua
- Assistant Lead Tester: Tony Lynch
- Marketing Specialist: Mark Subotnick
- Motion Capture Talent: DeWayne Lewis
- Motion Capture by: BioVision
- In‑Game Commentary by: Chick Hearn (Los Angeles Lakers)
- Commentary Recording Facility: DB Productions (Los Angeles CA.)
- Player Ratings & Team Playbooks by: Scott Pruneau (Golden State Warriors)
- Additional Ratings by: Tracy Johnson
- Playbook Assistance: Lorne Asuncion
- Sega Additional Design: Lorne Asuncion, Tracy Johnson, Mark Paniagua
- Manual: Curtis Clarkson, Richard Verdoni
- Team Sega Sports: Geraldine Dessimoz, Brad Hogan, Tracy Johnson, Marcus Matthews, David Perkinson, Mike Wallis
- Testers: Amy Albertson, Howard Gipson, Dave Paniagua, Bobby Amirkhan, Rick Greer, Jason Philyaw, Nicolas J. Azizian, Jeff Junio, Ken Robinson, Karen Brown, Lloyd Kinoshita, Matt Underwood, Don Carmichael, Dennis Lee, Fernando Valderrama, Joe Damon, Marcus Montgomery, Ferdinand Villar, Abe Navarro, Paulita Villatuya
- Special Thanks: Sandy Castagnola, Angela Edwards, Sheri Hockaday, Jason Kuo, Bernard Stolar, Shuji Utsumi, Rick Wheeler, The Seedy Crew, Manny (Sega), Greg Lassen, Joe Amati, Shana Hoernke, Janie Buschman (NBA Entertaiment), Harry Abrams (Abrams Artists Agency), Shawn Bryant (NBA Properties), Kobe Bryant (Los Angels Lakers), Gail D'Agostino (Arn Tellem Assoc.), Ed Gregory (Golden State Warriors), Dick Davey (Santa Clara Univercity), Bango, Bucky, 'Ol Sparkey, Rafeki "the crazy raccoon"
- Lead Engineer: Aki Rimpiläinen
- Lead AI Engineer: Matthew Hamre
- AI Engineer: Chris Larson
- Win95 Engineer: Chuck Batson
- Engineers: Mark Horsley, Johnnie Yang
- Art Director: Alvin Cardona
- Animations/Player Models/Textures: Han Cho (Lead), Mark A. Anderson, Cameron Chun
- Movies, Logos, Screens, Player Textures/Faces, Arenas: David Lee, Kurt Lai-Fatt, Wayne Herman
- Menus, Designs, Screens: Leandro Peñaloza, Fred Wong
- Lead Library Engineer: Dave O'Connor
- Lead Tools Engineer: Audrey Seymour
- Director of Technology: Tim Walter
- Library Engineer: Chuck Batson
- Tools Engineers: Joshua Lee, Owen Brand
- Sound and Music Director: Mark Chosak
- Quality Assurance: Rick Andraschko
- Project Manager: Jeffrey J. Thomas
- Executive Producer: Gregory A. Thomas
- Special Thanks: Scott L. Patterson, Ryan Plank, Alice Crysdale
- Source: Manual credits (US)
- Main article: NBA Action 98/Magazine articles.
Print advert in Player One
(FR) #82: "Janvier 1998" (199x-xx-xx)
ROM dump status
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 http://sega.jp/search/result.php?page=10&pf=11 (Wayback Machine: 2017-03-04 04:29)
- ↑ Game Informer, "October 1997" (US; 1997-xx-xx), page 40
- ↑ http://riehlspot.simplenet.com/vgame/new/saturn.html (Wayback Machine: 1999-02-21 17:22)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Press release: 1997-10-20: Real Roundball Without The Elbow Jabs: NBA Action '98 For Sega Saturn And PC
- ↑ Computer & Video Games, "October 1997" (UK; 1997-09-12), page 49
- ↑ File:Nbaaction98 sat us manual.pdf, page 28
- ↑ Ultra Game Players, "December 1997" (US; 1997-xx-xx), page 50
- ↑ Game Informer, "December 1997" (US; 1997-xx-xx), page 64
- ↑ Joypad, "Janvier 1998" (FR; 199x-xx-xx), page 106/107 (106)
- ↑ Saturn Power, "February 1998" (UK; 1997-12-31), page 84/85 (84)
- ↑ Sega Saturn Magazine, "February 1998" (UK; 1998-01-14), page 74/75 (74)