Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud
From Sega Retro
|Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud|
|System(s): Nintendo Switch, Windows PC|
|Number of players: 1|
Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud (ファンタシースターオンライン2クラウド) is a release of Phantasy Star Online 2 for the Nintendo Switch. Unlike previous releases, this version of the game is a cloud streaming service which streams the game to the Nintendo Switch from a cloud computer in Japan. Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud would later be made available on PC from Phantasy Star Online 2's game launcher.
The game's Cloud Server technology was licensed from Ubitus who had in the past also licensed their technology to Capcom for Resident Evil 7: Cloud Version. Although in the past all versions of Phantasy Star Online 2 were able to play together at the same time, Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud is only able to play with PC players cross-platform. It is widely believed that this was done at the request of Sony who has had a history of limiting cross-platform capabilities in other games with similar support.
Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud was first announced via a Japanese Nintendo Direct presentation on September 14th, 2017. The game would be released on April 4th, 2018 as a free Japanese eShop digital exclusive. The game is one of the few Nintendo Switch titles which doesn't require a subscription payment to the Nintendo Switch Online service. Players using a SEGA ID to play were able to use their data on other devices as well, however, an update on October 10th, 2018, would enable Nintendo Switch players who start playing immediately without a SEGA ID via the "Easy Login" feature.
As the Nintendo Switch is region free, players from outside of Japan are able to download the game using a Japanese eShop account. Furthermore, unlike other versions of the game, there doesn't exist any form of region blocking for the South East Asia region. Regardless, the game can be difficult to play from outside of Japan as a result of latency and the game automatically disconnecting players after a set amount of time if their wireless connection is not fast enough.
Differences from the Phantasy Star Online 2 version
The cloud servers run a modified PC version of the game which has access to the same game servers used in all versions of the game. As a result, the game is not too different from how it handles on PC but some differences still exist.
- On the Nintendo Switch version the game boots to a startup menu which lets them start the game, visit the website or test their connection speed.
- On the Nintendo Switch version of Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud, players can save their password in addition to their SEGA ID. Saved SEGA ID and passwords are linked to the Nintendo Account being used to play the game.
- On the PC version the game requires the player to login from the launcher as opposed to the Ship selection screen.
- As the game runs on cloud servers no patch updates are required to run the game.
- The player is automatically logged out if the game is left inactive for 30 minutes.
- The game's frame rate was initially locked to 30 frames per second. An update on September 12, 2018 would improve this to 60 FPS.
- Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud players are only able to play on Cloud Blocks which players of the PC version of Phantasy Star Online 2 can join. PlayStation 4 and Vita players are however not permitted to play on Cloud Blocks.
- Similar to the above, Cloud players have their own Challenge Mode and Battle Mode Blocks on the Shared Ship. Players of the PC version of Phantasy Star Online 2 can join the Cloud Challenge Mode Blocks however Cloud Battle Mode Blocks are exclusive to Cloud players.
- Because players are only able to battle other Cloud players in Battle Mode, there is a separate Cloud Leaderboard for Battle Mode.
- PlayStation 4 and Vita players can only encounter Switch Cloud players in their Quarters and Team Quarters but will be unable to chat with each other.
- Certain music discs cannot be played on the Cloud version as a result of licensing issues.
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild collaboration items can be obtained via the completion of specific tasks on the Nintendo Switch Cloud version. Once obtained, these items will be accessible in all other versions of the game the player uses with this account. These items are; Hylian Shield, Master Sword, Champion's Tunic M / F and Link Hair.
- Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud will not generate log files unlike the regular PC version.
- Players are unable to copy and paste text to and from the game unlike its regular PC counterpart.
- Main article: Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud/Magazine articles.
- https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000001185 (archived: 2019-04-03 22:00)