Phantasy Star Universe
From Sega Retro
|Phantasy Star Universe|
|Developer: Sonic Team|
|System(s): PlayStation 2, Xbox 360, PC|
While Phantasy Star Universe is a hack and slash role-playing game similar to the Phantasy Star Online games, it takes place in a different time period and location and has many new features. Like most of the PSO titles, PSU is playable in both a persistent online network mode and a full featured single-player story mode. Phantasy Star Universe was followed by the standalone expansion Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus.
- 1 Story
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 History
- 4 Production credits
- 5 Magazine articles
- 6 Promotional material
- 7 Artwork
- 8 Physical scans
- 9 Technical information
- 10 External links
- 11 References
The universe is the Gurhal Star System, which consists of three planets. Each planet has its own unique culture formed by its inhabitant races. The history of the Gurhal Star System is filled with conflict amongst the different races. However, after the Final Conflict 100 years ago, a union was formed between the three planets. This led to the birth to the Allied Army, and ultimately to peace for the Gurhal Star System.
At the start of the game, Ethan, the main character, and his little sister Lumia, are at the celebration of the 100th year anniversary of the Alliance Space Fleet on the GUARDIANS Space station. The celebration is interrupted when a mysterious meteor shower almost destroys the entire fleet. During evacuation, Ethan and Lumia split off of the main evacuation route, and collapsing rubble separates Lumia from Ethan. Ethan then meets up with a GUARDIAN named Leo, but they are attacked by a strange creature. The creature paralyzes Leo, and Ethan takes his handgun and kills the creature. Leo then tells Ethan to find his sister, and that a rescue team is on the way.
After killing multiple creatures and saving people, Ethan finds Lumia, and they both leave the station. After a conversation between Leo and Ethan, Ethan reveals that he dislikes GUARDIANS because his father died when on a mission. Leo, impressed with Ethan's abilities, convinces Ethan to join the GUARDIANS.
Ethan and his classmate Hyuga are trained by a female Guardian named Karen, who leads them against the SEED, the strange monsters that came from the meteors. After being hired to accompany a scientist to a Relic site of an ancient, long-dead civilization, they find out the SEED are attracted to a power source (A-photons) the ancients used and that the solar system has just re-discovered.
Karen finds out she is the sister of the Divine Maiden (the prophet of the Holy Light) and takes over that position when her sister dies at the hands of her estranged father who intended to kill Karen to increase the original Maiden (Mirei)'s power.
After befriending rogues, guardians, and casts alike, Ethan angers Magashi, a CAST who heads the Endrum Collective and has been kidnapping scientists who know about the ancient power source. After Ethan and a rogue named Alfort Tylor kill Magashi, Ethan helps activate an ancient weapon the prior civilization used to survive the SEED before they were almost completely wiped out.
Ethan then gathers allies against Guardian orders to attack the last SEED outpost standing where two of his friends and the scientists are being held. In the outpost Magashi claims to be brought back to life by the SEED, where in reality he is a CAST incarnation of Dark Force who controls the SEED itself and controls whatever they infect. With the help of Karen, Leo and Tonnio, Ethan defeats Magashi once and for all.
PSU has the following features:
- Strafing - characters may strafe, in addition to the movement options available in PSO
- Dual-wielding - characters may wield weapons akimbo, or even carry a different weapon in each hand
- Player-controlled vehicles (Sega has stated that these will be customizable in some way; featured offline and during some online events).
- Partner Machinery (pm) that evolve both in appearance and abilities when fed items.
- 20+ dungeons which the player may explore
- 15+ bosses to battle
- Four character races: Humans, CASTs (Androids), Newmans, and Beasts (the latter two of which are races of genetically modified humans).
- Three different classes to specialize in (similar to PSO) but with the ability to change classes at any given time and back again, while any bonuses gained are retained for later if you do change class.
- An additional seven advanced classes which can either be specialists of the three main classes, or different hybrid versions.
- An additional two advanced classes were provided upon the expansion's release, although they do not require the expansion to play.
- A 40-hour offline RPG component with characters and events to complement the separate online game. Both use the same engine, although your customizable character can only be used online.
- Extra Mode: A new offline mode that functions similar to online mode, with character customization. The "Extra Mode" character can only be used offline.
- Character Customization: In addition, PSU features a character creation system with many more options than the original PSO, allowing players to customize the style and color of their characters' clothes, hair and facial features, height and body proportion as well as their voice at any time in the game provided they have enough of the game's currency, meseta.
- Main article: Phantasy Star Universe/Achievements.
An open beta was held for Xbox 360 users a few weeks before it was released in North America. The software was available on the marketplace for Xbox Live Gold subscribers for download for two days starting on October 13, 2006. The trial originally ran until October 18 but was eventually extended to October 21. As of January 15, 2007 it has now been put back onto the marketplace, and the server is up and running, for players who have Xbox Live Gold to download and try. Their policy states that they will reset the servers at the end of each month, however, from the period of September 2007 to April 2008, Sega did not reset the servers.
The PC/PS2 servers were merged together while the Xbox 360 played on a server on its own. The PC/PS2 servers were region locked, while on the Xbox 360 servers people from all over the world could play together.
- Executive Supervisor: Hideki Okamura, Masanao Maeda, Kazihiro Yasutomi, Hideaki Morishita
- Executive Producer: Yuji Naka, Hisao Oguchi
- Producer: Takao Miyoshi
- Director: Satoshi Sakai
- Planning Director: Shintaro Hata
- Players: Akihiko Mukaiyama
- Items: Masayuki Mukaiyama, Takamitsu Kobayashi
- Enemies And Bosses: Yuya Kimura, Keisuke Suzuki, Yuji Nakazawa, Yu Suganuma
- Interface: Kazutaka Karashima
- Quest Director: Yuya Kimura
- Scenario: Sakae Tabata, Naozumi Yamaguchi, Satoshi Sakai, Yasushi Ohtaka, Yuya Kimura
- Quest: Yasuhiro Imami, Michihiko Okano, Katsunori Nagai, Satoshi Oku, Toshiki Ito, Kenji Matsumura
- Maps: Masanori Shiramizu, Yuka Onoda, Tatsushi Toyoshima, Shigetaka Hoshina
- Support: Masaya Amano, Yosuke Tanaka
- Art Director: Kosei Kitamura
- Characters: Akikazu Mizuno, Akira Iketani, Masatoshi Yasumura, Satoshi Arai, Satoshi Tomastu, Masahiro Tsunoda, Yuka Matsumoto, Chrissy Jean, Hu Wen-Jie
- Motion: Michihiro Sato, Tomoaki Yuyama
- Enemies: Masaharu Nakayama, Yoshiyuki Tomatsu, Satoshi Kunitomo, Yoshiyuki Yamamoto
- Maps: Kaori Hitsuda, Haruka Haginoya, Michio Abe, Masahiko Yagi, Koyko Chino, Mayo Sudo, Kenji Odaka, Maki Kaneko, Tomoharu Kawataki, Daizo Kimura, Takanobu Tsujihata, Shunsuke Takehaka
- Event Directors: Naozumi Yamaguchi, Seiju Taniguchi
- Event: Tomonori Dobashi, Takashi Tamaguchi, Keita Mizoguchi, Tsuyoshi Tanaka, Hideaki Makinouchi, Sho Mutsura
- Effects: Takanori Fukazawa, Ryutaro Sugiyama, Yasushi Honma, Yasutaka Tanaka
- Web: Ken Hijikata, Madoka Horiuchi
- Technical Support: Masayuki Ishino
- Programming Director: Yasuhiro Takahashi
- Players: Toshihisa Satake, Yoshiji Kosaka, Daigo Matsura, Kenichi Tanase, Mie Kawanishi
- Enemies: Junichi Takeda, Yoshitaka Katsume, Kenji Furukawa, Makoto Azuma
- Maps: Shinya Matsunami, Hiroshi Fujimoto, Naohide Shiga
- Event: Tsuyoshi Agura
- Interface: Takashi Sakamoto, Masatoshi Nakamura
- Network Director: Akio Setsumasa
- Network: Kouichi Toya, Hideto Fujishita, Kazuhiro Tonogi, Yuji Hirukawa, Yasumasa Matsumori, Tomokazu Tochi
- Technical Support: Naoki Matsumoto
- Sound Production: Sega Creative Center, Sound Section
- Sound Director: Hideaki Kobayashi
- Music Composers: Hideaki Kobayashi, Fumie Kumatani, Kenichi Tokoi, Seirou Okamoto, Taihei Sato
- Acoustuc Effects: Masaru Setsumaru, Tatsuyuki Maeda
- Sound Effects: Hideaki Kobayashi, Fumie Kumatani, Kenichi Tokoi, Junko Shiratsu, Hideki Abe
- Warsaw & Hollywood Orchestra Recording Section
- Conducted & Mixed By: Masamicz Amano
- Co-Orchestrator: Toshio Mashima
- Recording Producer: Hidetaka "Carl" Shibata (Power House Studio)
- Recording Director: Kotaro Kamada (Band Power)
- Recording Coordinator: Kan Hashimoto (Jailhouse Music Inc.)
- Warsaw Staff
- Played By: Warsaw Phiharmonic, National Orchestra
- Concept Master: Ewa Marczyk & Peter Tsegietski
- General Manager: Wojciech Nowak (Classical Recording & Concepts)
- Recorded & Edited By: Andzej Sasin
- Assistant Engineer: Aleksandra Nahorko
- Recording Hell: Warsaw Phiharmonic Hell
- Hollywood Staff
- Played By: The Hollywood Session Orchestra
- Orchestra Contractor: Chris Tedesco
- Recorded Engineer: Damon Tedesco
- Assistant Engineer: Steven Rhodes
- Recorded By: Cello Studios
- New York Recording & Mix Session
- Sound Producer: Atsushi Kosugi
- Recorded & Mixed By: Roy Hendrickson
- Assistant Engineer: Chad Lopo
- String Arrange/Score: Philippe Saisse
- Chorus Arrangement: Marton D. Sauncars
- Recording Studio: Avatar Studio
- Tokyo Mastering Session
- Save This World (Phantasy Star Universe Main Theme)
- Vocal: Kelli Sae
- Composed & Arranged By: Hideaki Kobayashi
- Lyric By: Kan Hashimoto
- With You (Phantasy Star Universe Ending Theme)
- For Brighter Day (Phantasy Star Universe Grand Ending Theme)
- Motion Capture: Sega Creative Center, Motion Capture Studio, Takeo Iwata, Hiroshi Tanaka, Shunkichi Yukitake, Kimiko Nakaizumi, Hitoshi Noda, Yukie Nagiwara, Haruna Mitsuhashi
- Motion Capture: Links Digiwork Inc.
- Producer: Kazuhisa Nishimura
- Supervisor: Tomokazu Sakamoto
- Lead Editor: Ryuji Tominaga
- Editors: Ayako Sakuma, Ayako Yoshioka
- Motion Actors: Katsugekiza
- Actor Coordination: Wataru Koga
- Main Wire Stunt Coordination: Motoki Kawana
- Action Coordination: Wataru Koga, Yoshio Miyaki
- Capture Actors: Wataru Koga, Motoki Kawana, Tony Hosokawa, Iori Sakakibara, Kunio Masaoka, Kazuhiro Shinyako, Hajime Kutihara, Mai Shibata, Ami Sakai, Misato Suzuki, Maiko Yamada, Toyoe Sekita, Yoshio Tomoeda, Hiroto Nakamura, Kazuko Saito, Masaki Yatoh, Hidetaka Takase, Tyson Ohya, Hayatomaru, Masayoshi Enomoto, Ryuichiro Nishioka
- Stunts: Yoshio Miyaki, Makoto Arakawa, Hiromi Shimjo, Kazuhiko Tai, Fumihito Minamitsuji, Tohru Miyokawa, Keiji Hasegawa
- Actor Support: Yukito Yano, Jun Sawaki
- Action And Stunts Support: Kouichi Funayama, Fujio Kai, Kouta Fukuchi, Naoyasu Achi
- Face Actors: Taro Koyama, Masaki Nonaka, Risa Furukawa, Yoshjkazu Kodama, Takumi Gontani, Alice Hiragi, Hiroko Hosoi
- Capture Edit Cooperation: Studio Ibuki Inc.
- Director: Masahiro Miura
- Motion Designers: Koji Hayashi, Ken Hatsumi, Masatoshi Kasuya, Takahisa Ueno, Keisuke Matsumoto, Takamitsu Kousaka
- Voice Recording Cast Record & Director: Greg Weber (Webtone)
- CG Movies: Polygon Magic Inc., Dynamo Pictures Inc.
- Producer: Akira Mayama
- Director: Kaname Aoki
- Chief Animator: Ryichi Tsurunosono
- Modeller: Kiyoshi Akimoto
- Animator: Yasuhiro Kato
- Compositor: Takateru Kzdota
- Production Manager: Takaaki Furusawa
- CG Movies: Sega Creative Center CG Team
- CG Movies: Dynamo Pictures Inc.
- CG Director: Kaname Aoki
- Compositor: Takateru Kadota
- Animators: Naoki Kondo, Yuki Mizoguchi
- Production Manager: Takaaki Furusawa
- CG Movie/Event: Griot Inc.
- Producer: Masashi Sakamoto
- CG Director: Minoru Kusakabe, Toshiyuki Aoyama
- Designer: Kiyonobu Kitada, Ryoji Fujita, Kei Yoneoka, Kensaku Takaishi, Tomohiro Shimizu, Hidenori Tanaka, Momomi Kuriyama
- Production Manager: Masashi Kuwahara
- CG Movie/Event: Animaroid Inc.
- Designers: Shinichi Kawabe, Masato Nozawa, Fumihiko Kagawa, Tomoya Shinbori, Yoshihiro Hatano, Kazuyuki Mori, Takuya Suzuki, Yuya Nagata, Yuki Hamatani
- CG Movie/Event: Digital Media Lab Inc.
- Producer: Shusaku Chamoto
- Director: Hideaki Sato
- Engineer: Miho Obata
- Creators: Satoshi Koshimizu, Tomoki Morizumi, Kenji Kushima, Junko Hirata, Kazue Tsukamoto, Tomomi Masuda, Takamasa Namiki, Akihiko Kimura, Saori Yoshimoto, Tomoki Morizumi, Satoshi Koshimizu, Takashi Matsuda, Keisuke Keboushi, Hideki Miyao
- Modelling/CG Movie/Event: Polygon Magic Inc.
- Supervising Producer: Osamu Ogiwara
- Producer: Toshinori Suzuki
- Character Models: Nobuyuki Nakayama, Daisuke Amakawa, Ayako Yoneda, Yoshiaki Mori, Tadashi Abe
- Enemy Models: Dai Kitajima, Daisuke Yoneyama, Akira Morita, Hiroki Takamura, Makoto Hayashi, Masatoshi Fujita, Yuki Hirohara
- Map Models: Minoru Sugiyama, Yuko Yoneyama, Rumi Kodera, Eri Watanabe, Yoshiko Miyahara
- Motion/Events: Takanobu Mityazawa, Tadashi Chiba, Wataru Horikawa, Noriaki Isogai, Atsushi Kinbara, Atsushi Hashimoto, Masahiro Yokoyama, Shun Manabe, Masaki Shimizu, Chiharu Katagiri, Koji Hata, Hirokazu Tanata, Masahiro Ohmomo
- CG Movie: Sanzigen Inc.
- CG Designers: Toshiaki Ihara, Yasuhiro Kato, Tatsuya Kono, Kazunobu Sano, Atsushi Nemoto
- Modelling: Flight Unit.
- Designers: Hiroyuki Matsumoto, Kaitzokuya, Takeshi Miyamoto, Kouhei Kyono, Atsuyoshi Hokari, Keiko Miyahara, Shigeyoshi Ishima
- Modelling: Sega (Shabghai) Software Co. Ltd.
- Designers: Yu Yong Qing, Jin Chuan Zhong, Huang Fu Lin, Liang Jia Ni, Chen Yan
- CEO: Naoya Tsurumi
- President/COO: Simon Jeffery
- VP Product Development: David Cobb
- VP Marketing: Scott Steinberg
- Marketing Director: Don Mesa
- Product Manager: Ben Harrison
- Assistant Producer: Jason Kuo, Beejey Enriquez
- PR: Jennie Sue
- Creative Service: Jen Groeling, Heather Luchrtti, Briget Oates
- Network Engineers: David Fung, Masahiro Sato
- Online: Julian Mehlfeld, Chris Olson
- QA Manager: Deni Skeens
- QA Supervisor: Josh Morton
- Mastering Lab: Rey Buzon, Andrew Byrne, Rhiana Kellom
- Senior Team Lead: Demetrius Griffin
- Assistant Team Lead: Mabel Chung
- Assisting Team Leads: Athony Banks, Orville Bongat, Omar Woodley
- Compliancy Test Lead: Stephen Akana
- Compliancy Assistant: Lawrence Mann
- Compliancy Testers: Steve Fleming, Joe Floyd, Jason Mahar
- Testers: John Bonyhard, Jamil Hale, Mike Castillo, Jake Holub, Tristan Corbett, Nick Makovkin, Tim Erbil, Ken Nacua, Matt Girard, Seneca Roux, Alice Grunstra, Mike Sliva, Teresa Guest, Camden Tayler, Kyle Uberman
- Webtone Voice Director: Greg Weber
- Teanslation By: Inbound
- Speical Thanks: Kevin Frane, Kim Weber
- CEO: Naoya Tsurumi
- President/COO: Mike Hayes
- Development Director: Gary Dunn
- Creative Director: Matthew Woodley
- European Market Director: Gary Knight
- Head Of Localisation: Kuniyo Matsumoto
- Localisation Producer: Ayano Murofushi
- European PR: Lynn Daniel, Kerry Martyn
- Assistant Brand Manager: Hiromi Ando
- International Brand Manager: Ben Chalmers-Stevens
- Creative Services: Tom Bingle, Keith Hodgetts, Morgan Gibbons, Akane Hiraoka, Arnoud Tempelaere
- Localisation Manager: Marta Lois Gonzalez
- Localisation Coordinator: Giuseppe Rizzo
- Head Of Development Services: Mark Le Breton
- QA Supervisor: Marlon Grant, Stuart Arrowsmith
- Master Technicians: John Hegarty, Jigar Patel
- Team Lead: Jigar Patel
- Senior Lang. Team Lead: Jean-Baptiste Bagot
- Assistant Team Leads: Malon Andall, David Higgins, James Langtry, Gabriel Ralls
- Testers: Caroline Walker, Chi Hao Tsang, Luca Marini, Wayne Quarmby, Louise Ridley, Phil Swan, Michael Hewitt, Pete Mctean, Noel Ogumuyide, Chris Jones, Emanuel Addo, Sacha Allari, Richard Haw
- Language Testers: Ronan Salon, Peter Beicht
- Standards Coordinator: Mohammed Ajaib
- Assistant Standards Coordinator: Michael Hanley
- Standard Tester: Ali Hassan, Nithiyan Thirudaian
- Main article: Phantasy Star Universe/Magazine articles.
PlayStation 2 version
Xbox 360 version
| PC, FR|
(Hits Collection; alt)
ROM dump status
|4,275,175,424||DVD-ROM (EU)||SLES-54308 (V1.01)|
|4,262,100,992||DVD-ROM (JP)||SLPM-66031 / SLPM-74244 (V1.02)|
|4,251,156,480||DVD-ROM (US)||SLUS-21194 (V1.00)|
- Sega of Japan catalogue pages (Japanese): PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox 360
- Phantasy Star Universe on Xbox Marketplace: UK, US, JP
- Phantasy Star Universe on PlayStation.com: JP, JP (PS2 the Best), US, UK
- http://sega.jp/ps2/psu/ (archived 2007-01-15 04:10)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/slpm74244.html (archived 2007-06-08 12:39)
|Phantasy Star Universe|