Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus
From Sega Retro
|Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus|
|System(s): PlayStation 2, Xbox 360, Windows PC|
|Publisher: Sega Sega PC|
|Developer: Sonic Team|
|Distributor: Halifax (IT)|
Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus, called Phantasy Star Universe: Illuminus no Yabou (ファンタシースターユニバース イルミナスの野望) in Japan, is the first expansion of Sonic Team's internationally popular online RPG Phantasy Star Universe, available for the PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 via the Xbox Live Arcade.
- 1 Story
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 History
- 4 Versions
- 5 Production credits
- 6 Magazine articles
- 7 Artwork
- 8 Physical scans
- 9 Technical information
- 10 External links
- 11 References
Ambition of the Illuminus picks right up where the story left off in Phantasy Star Universe.
Shortly after the defeat of Magashi and the Endrum Collective, a mysterious group known as the Illuminus have appeared, and threatens to exterminate all non-human races. The GUARDIANS themselves are under attack, and Ethan Waber is now wanted for an attempted assassination. Determined to find Ethan at any cost is GUARDIAN instructor, Laia Martinez. As a new GUARDIAN receiving guidance from Laia, you must search for Ethan and uncover the truth.
A new series of online chapters introduced by the expansion, having completed their training and become full-fledged GUARDIANS, players take the reigns as instructors, passing on their knowledge to younger recruits all the while investigating the evil Illuminus organization. In addition, all of Episode 2 is available in the offline Story Mode on the PC and PlayStation 2 versions of the game, and limited edition collectables are given away as mission rewards, and some are given to your character at the beginning of the game.
Ambition of the Illuminus introduced numerous new features to Phantasy Star Universe including new weapons, photon arts, missions, clothing, enemies and more.
Four new weapons categories were added with this expansion, giving players an even larger arsenal at their disposal as they continue their fight against the deadly SEED and human supremacist organization, the Illuminus.
- Whips are single-handed striking weapons which allow the user to attack multiple enemies within a certain radius. Though not the strongest weapon, whips are excellent for inflicting status effects on enemies.
- Slicers are single-handed striking weapons which allow players to attack from a distance. When swung, slicers launch a photon blade which will home in on its target.
- RCSMs, or ranged combat support machines, are single-handed ranged weapons which hover over their user's left shoulder. Though these weapons share their appearance with MAGs from Phantasy Star Online, RCSMs actually are weapons which automatically fire shots at enemies within range.
- TCSMs, short for TECHNIC combat support machines, are single-handed TECHNIC-casting weapons. As with RCSMs, these weapons have similar designs to certain MAGs from Phantasy Star Online, though they really act as left-handed wands, allowing players to link up to two TECHNICs to them.
New GUARDIANS types
Building on the original game's ten GUARDIANS types, Ambition of the Illuminus introduced two new types and promises at least three more in the near future.
- Acrofighters excel in the use of single-handed striking weapons. This type exhibits increased attack speed, giving players the ability to move in for an attack quickly. Though specializing in striking weapons, Acrofighters are capable of using many ranged weapons as well.
- Acrotechers are specialists at supporting party members as they are the one type with access to the highest level of support TECHNICs. This type casts TECHNICs faster than normal, but also performs well with various striking and ranged weapons.
- Though currently available only in Japan, three more new types will be released in the coming months: Fighmaster, Gunmaster and Masterforce. As their names suggest, these types are specialists in one specific field of battle, thus granting them outstanding abilities.
The universe of Gurhal continues to grow as Ambition of the Illuminus has introduced numerous new areas, missions and lobbies to the system's three planets. A few areas of interest include the Habirao Forbidden District, a mysterious forest on Neudaiz filled with enormous mushrooms and an unusually high concentration of photon in the air, and Old Rozenom City, a once-thriving metropolis that was devastated by the crash landing of the GUARDIANS Colony, an act for which the Illuminus were responsible. In all, over twelve new areas have been added, including the forest, caves, mines and ruins, fan-favorites from Phantasy Star Online.
While not running missions with other players, GUARDIANS can relax and chat with their friends in some of the expansion's new lobbies. These include Paracabana Coast, a beach front resort on Parum, Shitenkaku, a beautiful shrine at the summit of Neudaiz's Mt. Ohtoku, and Casino Voloyal, a popular casino in the Vio Tonga area of Moatoob.
- Main article: Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus/History.
Released initially in Japan on September 27, 2007, for PlayStation 2 and PC, subsequent territorial releases followed on November 20, 2007 along with an XBLA-exclusive Japanese release of the 360 port, when North America received the expansion for all three platforms. This date also marked the worldwide release of the Xbox 360 version as it was available for download through Microsoft's Xbox Live service. Europe received the PC and PlayStation 2 versions of Ambition of the Illuminus a few months later, on January 11, 2008, and finally it reached Australia on February 7, 2008.
Although it is an expansion pack, the PC and PlayStation 2 versions of Ambition of the Illuminus are standalone and do not require the original game to play. The Xbox 360 version, however, does require the original disc due to the expansion being downloadable content.
Discontinuation of the online service
On April 1, 2010 at 12:00 PDT, Sega of America shut down the online servers of the PlayStation 2 and PC versions of the game with warning at the start of the year. Starting late January, the game was made free to play for anyone who had a paying account in the past on the game and all subscriptions were cancelled. This lead to a gigantic burst in population in the universes, not seen since the release of the game. The Japanese Playstation 2 support was dropped in mid 2011 which allowed the PC version to bring in new additions, items, armor, weapons and areas from Phantasy Star Portable 2 until it's closure in September 2012.
On June 8, 2012 SEGA announced that the Xbox 360 servers of the game would be shutting down September 6, 2012 at 11:00 p.m. PDT. For the remaining months players were granted various bonuses for many things. Anyone who still had an active subscription after the servers closed were refunded by Microsoft on a prorated basis.
It was said that SEGA wanted the last months of the Xbox 360 servers to be free of charge but that Microsoft did not comply with the request.
On July 7, 2012 it was announced on the official Japanese Phantasy Star Universe website that the Japanese PC servers for Phantasy Star Universe would be shutting down at midnight JST on September 27, 2012.
On August 28, 2012 GUARDIANS Licenses, game keys, and game keys for Ambition of the Illuminus were not available to purchase anymore. Following the maintenance that happened on August 30, 2012 all players were given access to premium course features even if they had never bought a GUARDIANS License beforehand. After the server closer PSU ID's were no longer able to be created and players were no longer able to purchase GUARDIANS Cash. Following the closure players had the option to transfer their money to Phantasy Star Online 2 or have it refunded as WebMoney. August 2012 was the last month that automatic renewers were charged for this version of Phantasy Star Universe and until the server closed various bonuses had been put in place. Once the servers closed all official servers for the game worldwide where gone.
The story mode for the PlayStation 2 version is still accessible however as that can be played offline.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus||Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus|
|Japanese||ファンタシースターユニバース イルミナスの野望||Phantasy Star Universe: Illuminus no Yabou|
- Executive Supervisor: Hideki Okamura, Masanao Maeda, Kazihiro Yasutomi, Hideaki Morishita
- Executive Producer: Hisao Oguchi
- Producer: Takao Miyoshi
- Director: Satoshi Sakai
- Planning Director: Shintaro Hata
- Players And Items: Masayuki Mukaiyama, Yu Suganuma, Ryohei Uno, Takamitsu Kobayashi, Yuichi Anzawa, Yohsuke Minobe
- Creatures & Bosses: Yu Suganuma, Ryohei Uno
- Quest Director: Yuya Kimura
- Scenario: Sakae Tabata, Naozumi Yamaguchi, Satoshi Sakai, Yasushi Ohtake, Yuya Kimura
- Events: Sakae Tabata, Toshiki Ito
- Quest: Kenji Matsumura, Toshiki Ito, Katsunori Nagai, Shinichi Muraishi
- Maps: Masanori Shiramizu, Yuka Onoda, Tatsushi Toyoshima, Shigetaka Hoshina, Yusuke Ochi, Kazuhide Tsumura
- My Room: Takamitsu Kobayashi
- Art Director: Kosei Kitamura
- Characters: Akikazu Mizuno, Akira Iketani, Masatoshi Yasumura, Satoshi Arai, Masahiro Tsunoda, Yuka Matsumoto, Kazuyuki Shinohara, Chrissy Jean, Eri Sasaki
- Motion: Michihiro Sato, Tomoaki Yuyama
- Creatures: Masaharu Nakayama, Seiju Taniguchi, Yoshiyuki Tomatsu, Masashi Ichinho
- Maps: Haruka Haginoya, Michio Abe, Mayo Sudo, Kenji Odaka, Tomoharu Kawataki
- My Rooms: Maki Kaneko, Yoshie Tokita, Kazuyo Yamaoto
- Event Directors: Naozumi Yamaguchi
- Event: Tomonori Dobashi, Keita Mizoguchi, Sho Mutsura
- Effects: Takanori Fukazawa, Ryutaro Sugiyama, Yasushi Honma, Yasutaka Tanaka
- Interface: Eriko Mikawa
- Web: Ken Hijikata, Kenji Takahashi, Masahiro Jaana
- Technical Support: Masayuki Ishino
- Programming Director: Yasuhiro Takahashi
- Players: Toshihisa Satake, Yoshiji Kosaka
- My Room: Kenichi Tanase, Mie Kawanishi, Kazuki Konishi
- Creatures: Toshihisa Satake, Tsuyoshi Aguram, Yoshiji Kosaka, Yasumasa Matsumori
- Maps: Shinya Matsunami, Hiroshi Fujimoto, Naohide Shiga
- Events: Tsuyoshi Agura
- Interface: Takashi Sakamoto
- Network Director: Akio Setsumasa
- Network: Kouichi Toya, Hideto Fujishita, Kazuhiro Tonogi, Yuji Hirukawa, Yasumasa Matsumori, Tomokazu Tochi, Baek Jounghoon, Yu Isogai
- Technical Support: Naoki Matsumoto
- Support: Dennis Sachio Imabeppu
- Sound Production: Sega Creative Center, Sound Section
- Sound Director: Hideaki Kobayashi
- Music Composers: Hideaki Kobayashi, Fumie Kumatani, Kenichi Tokoi, Seirou Okamoto, Taihei Sato
- Acoustuc Effects: Masaru Setsumaru, Tatsuyuki Maeda
- Sound Effects: Hideaki Kobayashi, Fumie Kumatani, Kenichi Tokoi, Hideki Abe, Tadashi Kinukawa
- Save This World (Phantasy Star Universe Main Theme)
- Vocal: Kelli Sae
- Composed & Arranged By: Hideaki Kobayashi
- Lyric By: Kan Hashimoto
- Save This World Remix version (Phantasy Star Universe Main Theme)
- With You (Phantasy Star Universe Ending Theme)
- For Brighter Day (Phantasy Star Universe Grand Ending Theme)
- Motion Capture: Sega Creative Center, Motion Capture Studio, Takeo Iwata, Hiroshi Tanaka, Shunkichi Yukitake, Kimiko Nakaizumi, Hitoshi Noda, Yukie Nagiwara, Haruna Mitsuhashi
- Capture Actors: Katsugekiza, Wataru Koga, Tony Hosokawa, Iori Sakakibara, Motoki Kawana
- Voice Recording Cast Record & Director: Greg Weber (Webtone)
- CG Movies: VE R&D Dept.
- Director: Takashi Nakashima
- Modelling: Hideyuki Higashi, Yoshihiko Suzuki, Kazushige Hayakawa
- Sequences: Kouhei Kajisa, Keisuke Takahashi, Satoshi Tomatsu, Tsubasa Nakai
- Effects: Yoshihisa Inoue, Shuntaro Furukawa
- Production Manager: Chikako Tanaka
- Line Producer: Naoko Ajiro
- CG Movie: Anima Inc.
- Director: Kazuya Sasahara
- CG Artists: Tomohisa Ishikawa, Shunsuke Tsuchiya
- Project Manager: Daisuke Chonan
- Producer: Haruyasu Akagi
- Executive Producer: Shinya Sasahara
- CG Movie: Jet Studio Inc.
- Team Director: Atsushi Inoue
- CG Artists: Tomohisa Oda, Yasuyuki Bandai, Yutaka Kawamata, Satoshi Mochizuki
- Project Manager: Mitsugu Ishii
- Producer: Tomnori Kudokawa
- CG Movie: Animaroid Inc.
- CG Director: Kiyonobu Kitada
- Designers: Ryoji Fujita, Yuki Hamatani, Kentaro Koyaku, Takayuki Honda, Kagawa Fumihiko
- Project Manager: Ahsuko Hashimoto
- Producer: Masashi Sakamoto
- CG Movie: Sanzigen Inc.
- CG Designers: Yasuhiro Kato, Kazunobu Sano, Atsushi Nemoto, Hiroaki Matsura
- CG Movie: Laser-Graphics
- CG Director: Toshiyuki Aoyama
- Animator: Kensaku Takaishi
- Designer: Hidenori Tanaka
- Modelling: Polygon Magic Inc.
- Project Manager: Hiroshi Suzuki
- Creature Models: Masahiro Yokoyama, Tomoharu Oiyama, Youzou Kageyama, Kouki Saitou, Atsuki Nakazato, Nobumichi Sugawara, Yousuke Kinoshita, Yousuke Kai, Takuyav Ueda
- Room Decorations: Minoru Sugiyama, Eri Watanabe, Kenta Soga
- Modelling: Flight Unit.
- Designers: Hiroyuki Matsumoto, Kaitzokuya, Ntny
- Set Up: Takeshi Mitamoto
- Modelling: Sega (Shanghai) Software Co. Ltd.
- Designers: Cheng Li, Mei Lin, Shao Mingzhu, Jin Huan, Li Muzhang, Bao Jiangang, Tang Xin, Gu Hong, Yu Xinyue
- Quest: Yu Xing, Hu Yuhua, Li Shugiao, Chen Mingmei, Feng Ying, Zhang Hongnian
- CEO: Naoya Tsurumi
- President/COO: Simon Jeffery
- VP Product Development: David Cobb
- VP Marketing: Scott Steinberg
- Marketing Director: Don Mesa
- Marketing Coordinator: Mabel Chung
- Online Marketing Coordinator: Randy Stukes
- Localization Manager: John Merlino
- Localization Producer: Jason Kuo
- PR: Jennie Sue
- Creative Service: Jen Groeling, Heather Luchrtti, Briget Oates
- Network Engineers: David Fung, Masahiro Sato
- Online: Jake Holub, Julian Mehlfeld, Chris Olson, Robbie Percell
- QA Manager: Deni Skeens
- QA Supervisor: Josh Morton
- Mastering Lab Supervisor: Rhiana Kellom
- Hardware Technician: Matt Ellison
- Mastering Lab: Rey Buzon, Scott Samson, Ray Vasquez
- Senior Team Lead: Demetrius Griffin
- Project Lead: Ken Nacua
- Assistant Team Lead: Mabel Chung
- Standards Supervisor: Stephen Akana
- Compliancy Lead: Lawrence Mann
- Compliancy Specialists: David Casallas, Marta Khosraw, Jaime Kuroiwa, David Lee, Christine Letheby
- Compliancy Testers: John Belcher, Eduardo Camacho, Joe Floyd, Junior Sison
- Testers: Brandon Bailey, Lacey Canton, Raymond Clark, Kirsten Coleman, Lionel Cortez, Michael Honrada, Amber Huesso, Zack Jones, Max Martinson, Bobby Nawbary, Devin Nelson, Pamela Peters
- Webtone Voice Director: Greg Weber
- Teanslation By: Inbound
- Special Thanks: Ethan Einhorn (For PSU), Kevin Frane, Yosuke Moriya (For PSU), Kim Weber
- CEO: Naoya Tsurumi
- President/COO: Mike Haye
- Development Director: Gary Dunn
- Director Of European Marketing: Gary Knight
- Head Of Studio, Localisation: Kuniyo Matsumoto
- Producer: Ayano Murofushi
- European PR: Lynn Daniel, Kerry Martyn, Alistair Hatch
- Assistant Brand Manager: Hiromi Ando
- International Brand Manager: Ben Chalmers-Stevens
- Head Of Development Services: Mark Le Breton
- QA Supervisor: Marlon Grant, Stuart Arrowsmith
- Team Lead: James Langtry
- Assistant Team Lead: Gabriel Ralls
- Testers: Nicolas D'Offay, Daryl Grant, James Dyer, Mark Dallamore, Kye Connolly
- Senior Language Team Lead: Jean-Baptiste Bagot
- Senior Language Testers: Ronan Salon, Peter Beicht
- Standards Coordinator: Mohammed Ajaib
- Assistant Standards Coordinator: Michael Hanley
- Standard Technician: Ibrahim Bhatti
- Created By: Sonic Team
- Presented By: Sega
PlayStation 2 version
ROM dump status
|3,747,250,176||DVD-ROM (EU)||SLES-54892 (V1.01 )|
|3,919,020,032||DVD-ROM (JP)||SLPM-66663 (V1.00)|
|3,703,570,432||DVD-ROM (US)||SLUS-21631 (V1.00)|
- Sega of Japan catalogue pages (Japanese): PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox 360
- Official website (Japanese)
- Official website (English)
- Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus on PlayStation.com: JP, US, UK
- http://sega.jp/pc/illuminus/ (Wayback Machine: 2007-10-13 21:57)
- http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/game_intro.php (Wayback Machine: 2007-11-24 12:46)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/title/slpm66663.html (Wayback Machine: 2007-08-25 14:46)
- http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/phantasy-star-universe-ambition-of-the-illuminus (Wayback Machine: 2017-06-27 23:32)
- http://www.xbox.com:80/en-US/live/marketplace/p/phantasystaruniverse/illuminus.htm (Wayback Machine: 2009-01-23 12:24)
- http://sega.jp:80/x/illuminus/ (Wayback Machine: 2007-12-24 19:31)