From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Sound driver: Zyrinx/Jesper Kyd|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
It is noteworthy for achieving sprite rotations, 3D vectors and full motion video; things that were often considered impossible to do on Mega Drive hardware. No additional hardware (such as an extra chip in Virtua Racing is used. The game proudly announces this technical achievement before the title screen.
Zyrinx were previously responsible for Sub-Terrania, and the two games share similar graphics and logos. The soundtrack was again composed by Jesper Kyd.
The player controls an AH-64B Apache helicopter in an attempt to stop the dictator Madman Ivan Retovitz from taking over the world. The helicopter has both a normal gun (fired with ) and a variety of weapons (fired with and switched between with ) that target a crosshair that is at a fixed distance from the front of the helicopter, which can be steered with the D-pad.
Around half of the game consists of flight missions.
There are also on-foot missions, with three selectable soldiers. In this mode, the game also uses a lot technical tricks to simulate a 3D environment similar to e.g. Loaded on Sega Saturn. A defeated character is permanently dead.
Overall the game is rather puzzle oriented. Strict ammo limits and low health as well as limited fuel require a well planed approach.
A password system is used to record progress. The game has no score system.
- Code: David Guldbrandsen, Karsten Hvidberg, Jens Bo Albretsen
- Graphics': Mikael Balle, Jesper Vorsholt Jørgensen
- Music: Jesper Kyd
- Additional Code: Thomas Risager (Guz)
- Character Animation: Dan Harder
- Acting & Math Support: Haissam Badawi
- Main article: Red Zone/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
- File:GamePlayers US 0712.pdf, page 11
- File:CVG UK 156.pdf, page 60
- File:MeanMachinesSega23UK.pdf, page 10
- File:EGM US 065.pdf, page 46
- File:GamePlayers US 0712.pdf, page 142
- File:GamePro US 066.pdf, page 50
- File:Joypad FR 037.pdf, page 55
- File:MegaFun DE 1995-01.pdf, page 34
- File:Micromania3 ES 001.pdf, page 105
- File:MeanMachinesSega25UK.pdf, page 66
- File:NextGeneration US 02.pdf, page 103
- File:PlayTime DE 1995-02.pdf, page 108
- File:VideoGames DE 1994-12.pdf, page 91
- File:VideoGames US 71.pdf, page 80