From Sega Retro
|Developer: Vivid Image|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn|
|Sound driver: Krisalis/Shaun Hollingworth,|
|Peripherals supported: 4 Way Play, Team Player, Saturn 6 Player Adaptor|
|Number of players: 1-4|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
The Mega Drive version of the game was not released in Japan or North America, though did make it to Brazil and Europe. Plans for a North American version were put in place (even getting to the stage of having its own box art with ESRB rating), but were cancelled. Likewise the Saturn version of the game was not released in North America. Sega Game Gear and Sega 32X versions were also in development, but were never released in any region.
Similar to Super Mario Kart, Street Racer game allows the user to select one of many cartoon-like characters, racing around a circuit, avoiding obstacles and using special items.
Due to various hardware restrictions, gameplay differs among platforms - the Mega Drive version of the game has the player travel along a road in a similar manner to Hang-On or OutRun, whereas the Saturn version renders its levels through 3D geometry, allowing the user to see more of the stage. The Japanese Saturn version of the game is called Street Racer Extra (ストリート レーサー エクストラ) due to these additions.
Unusually for the time, the Saturn version offers more detailed stages with more scenery than its PlayStation counterpart, and also runs at a higher screen resolution. The changes are particularly noticeable on the "Raph" stages, where a grassland with a few hills on the PlayStation has become a small European-style town on the Saturn.
- Main article: Street Racer/Magazine articles.
#87: "October 1996" (1996-xx-xx)
#42: "Avril 1995" (1995-xx-xx)
#6: "Avril 1995" (1995-xx-xx)
#39: "January 1997" (199x-xx-xx)
#63: "Diciembre 1996" (xxxx-xx-xx)
#57: "xxxx xxxx" (xxxx-xx-xx)
Mega Drive version
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Planned release date: 1995|
|System(s): Sega Game Gear, Sega 32X|
Street Racer was intended for release on the 32X shortly after the Mega Drive, however this version was cancelled (possibly in favour of the Saturn version). A Game Gear port was also in development for an expected release in November 1995. This too was cancelled for reasons unknown.
ROM dump status
|437,796,576||CD-ROM (EU)||T-17702H-50 V1.000|
|439,092,528||1996-09-15||CD-ROM (JP)||T-17702G V1.000|
- File:MeanMachinesSega31UK.pdf, page 72
- File:SegaMagazine UK 15.pdf, page 28
- File:CVG UK 160.pdf, page 40
- File:GamesWorld DE 0708.pdf, page 69
- File:MeanMachinesSega50UK.pdf, page 56
- File:CVG UK 181.pdf, page 49
- File:EGM US 089.pdf, page 189
- File:UltraGamePlayers US 093.pdf, page 56
- File:CVG UK 181.pdf, page 28
- File:SSM UK 15.pdf, page 2
- File:CVG UK 182.pdf, page 28
- File:CDConsoles FR 24.pdf, page 2
- File:ConsolesPlus FR 061.pdf, page 180
- File:PlayerOne FR 071.pdf, page 27
- File:GamesMaster UK 029.pdf, page 39
- File:SSM_UK_14.pdf, page 72
- File:SSM JP 19961227 1996-22.pdf, page 280
- File:SnGwSISDRZK Book JP.pdf, page 16
- File:MeanMachinesSega37UK.pdf, page 48