From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Hang-On hardware, Sega Master System, MSX, PC-8801 mkII SR|
|Genre: Racing, Arcade|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Hang-On (ハングオン) is a 1985 arcade game developed by Studio 128. One of Yu Suzuki's designs, Hang-On is notable for being the first full body experience arcade game, as some cabinets were shaped like bikes that the user had to ride on. It was built on the arcade Sega Hang-On hardware that later powered Space Harrier.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 History
- 3 Production credits
- 4 Production credits
- 5 Magazine articles
- 6 Promotional material
- 7 Photo gallery
- 8 Physical scans
- 9 Technical information
- 10 References
The objective of Hang-On is to ride a superbike across five stages before running out of time, avoiding obstacles along the way. While the player begins on a starting grid with other bikes, you do not race them directly - a high score is achieved by simply staying on the road.
The arcade version of the game includes advertisements for Bridgestone, Shell, Garelli Motorcycles, TAG, John Player Special cigarettes, Forum cigarettes, and for "Marbor cigarettes". The advertising for cigarettes both in Hang-On and the later Super Monaco GP was criticised as these games were also marketed for children. Many re-releases of these games omit these adverts.
The title is derived from when the biker is turning and has to "hang on" to the bike while the bike is leaning, which Suzuki had read in a Japanese bike magazine, though he later learned the technique was called "hang off" in North America. Nevertheless, he chose to keep the former name.
To develop this game, Suzuki told G4TV, "I rode on motorcycles a lot. When we came up with the prototype (for the arcades), I would ride on that prototype bike for hours and hours every day." His and AM2's efforts culminated in Hang-On. It began the "Taikan" trend, the use of motion-controlled hydraulic arcade cabinets in many games of the late 1980s, two decades before motion controls became popular on video game consoles.
It was also one of the first arcade games to use Sega's Super Scaler technology, allowing three-dimensional sprite-scaling at high frame rates, which was handled in a similar manner to textures in later texture-mapped polygonal 3D games of the 1990s. Hang-On's chiptune music was also notable for introducing digitized drum sounds.
By 1991 it had become Sega's best selling coin-op with 20,000 units sold, along with an estimated 20,000 - 30,000 further pirated copies in circulation.
Hang-On was ported to the Sega Mark III as a launch title (along with Teddy Boy Blues) in Japan. Consequently, it was brought overseas to the Sega Master System and also made available on launch in Europe (where it was distributed on Sega Card with launch Master System consoles in several regions). The Master System Hang-On later became a built-in game and in 1990 was re-released on cartridge, also in Europe.
In North America, the Master System Hang-On was never released on its own, instead being part of Hang-On / Safari Hunt (built into some Master System consoles and also released on cartridge) and later Hang-On / Astro Warrior.
Hang-On was also made available for the PC-8801 mkII SR and MSX computers, and was succeeded by Super Hang-On in 1987, which gained wider recognition as it was ported to more systems, including the Sega Mega Drive. A similar game known as Hang-On II was released for the SG-1000.
Hang-On is featured as a mini-game in both Shenmue and Shenmue II. It is also possible to buy a Sega Saturn port of Hang-On in Shenmue under the Sega Ages label - this version was not released in real life, but as similar games such as OutRun and Space Harrier were re-released for the Saturn, it is entirely possible that a version of Hang-On was planned too.
The Hang-On bike is a hidden vehicle in Power Drift. An unlockable gear in Sonic Riders will play the Hang-On theme when used, as will inputting the name "H.O" in the high score table of Daytona USA.
- Main article: Hang-On/Production credits.
- Main article: Hang-On/Magazine articles.
|Arcade, US (deluxe)|
Master System version
|Sega Retro Average|
|Master System, TW|
PC-8801 mkII SR version
ROM dump status
NEC Retro has more information related to Hang-On
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 https://sega.jp/history/hard/segamark3/software.html (Wayback Machine: 2019-06-21 03:44)
- ↑ File:HangOn SMS EU cover.jpg
- ↑ Game Machine, "1985-08-01" (JP; 1985-08-01), page 14
- ↑ http://sega.jp/fb/segahard/mk3/gallery.html
- ↑ Sega Arcade History, Enterbrain, page 82
- ↑ Raze, "September 1991" (UK; 1991-07-25), page 76
- ↑ http://www.mamedb.com/game/hangon
- ↑ [GameCenter CX, Episode 10, Fuji TV, 2003 GameCenter CX, Episode 10, Fuji TV, 2003]
- ↑ http://www.1up.com/features/disappearance-suzuki-part-1 (Wayback Machine: 2012-11-07 06:39)
- ↑ http://retro.ign.com/articles/974/974695p3.html (Wayback Machine: 2012-05-05 15:11)
- ↑ http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/ (Wayback Machine: 2020-11-01 03:20)
- ↑ Game Machine, "1991-03-01" (JP; 1991-03-01), page 16
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7OmL8pYim4
- ↑ https://sega.jp/fb/album/06_sdi/interview1.html (Wayback Machine: 2021-10-16 21:52)
- ↑ 1700 igr dlya Sega, "" (RU; 2001-xx-xx), page 134
- ↑ Console XS, "June/July 1992" (UK; 1992-04-23), page 141
- ↑ Computer & Video Games, "September 1987" (UK; 1987-08-15), page 77
- ↑ Computer & Video Games, "March 1988" (UK; 1988-02-15), page 121
- ↑ Micromanía (segunda época), "Septiembre 1991" (ES; 1991-0x-xx), page 29
- ↑ Sega Power, "October 1991" (UK; 1991-09-05), page 57
- ↑ Sega Pro, "Christmas 1991" (UK; 1991-12-12), page 47
- ↑ Sega Pro, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-11), page 71
- ↑ Tilt, "Décembre 1987" (FR; 1987-1x-xx), page 98
- ↑ Hang-On/Hidden content#Build date
Main page | Comparisons | Hidden content | Magazine articles | Reception
Music: Yu Suzuki Produce Hang On/Space Harrier (1997)
|Games in the Hang-On Series|
|Hang-On (1985) | Hang-On Jr. (1985) | Hang-On II (1985) | Super Hang-On (home computers) (1987) | GP Rider (Master System | Game Gear) (1990) | Limited Edition Hang-On (1991) | Hang-On GP (1995) | 3D Super Hang-On (2013)|
|Hang-On related media|
|Yu Suzuki Produce Hang On/Space Harrier (1997) | Super Hang-On 20th Anniversary Collection (2007) | Super Hang-On (2015)|
|After Burner / Super Hang-On (1987)|
- 1 player games
- All arcade games
- Hang-On hardware games
- All 1985 games
- 1985 Hang-On hardware games
- JP Master System games
- EU Master System games
- DE Master System games
- UK Master System games
- IT Master System games
- AU Master System games
- TW Master System games
- Master System games
- 1985 Master System games
- Master System racing games
- MSX games
- PC-8800 series games
- Use romtable template
- All games
- Credits without reference
- Games with known prototypes
- Old technical information
- Hang-On (franchise)