From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega-CD|
|Developer: Sega CS|
|Peripherals supported: CD BackUp RAM Cart|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Dark Wizard, known as Dark Wizard: Yomigaerishi Yami no Madoushi (ダークウィザード 蘇りし闇の魔導士) in Japan is a Sega Mega-CD turn based and grand strategy/RPG.
Players will take control of one of the four playable commanders and attempt to wrest control of the fictional kindgom of Cheshire from a treacherous wizard named Velonese using magic and recruitable armies. Game is quite similar to Systemsoft's Master of Monsters series.
Two of the selectable characters have law alignment while the other two has chaos. Alignment will decide how a unit can be promoted and what kind of spells and equipment the unit can use.
Players can take control of towns and other cities in the map and purchase items, recruit unique characters or simply gather information.
There are four avaiable leaders to pick from. Since the English manual does not explain what these stats do (idiots), below are rough estimates.
- Alignment: Characters world view. Affects what kind of units you can summon, hire or promote.
- Command: Determines how large an army a leader can field in the battle.
- Leadership: Seems to affect troop performance. (Probably)
- Intellect: Affects how much experience gained after battle. (Maybe)
- Belief: Affect whether or not you will get bonuses when praying in towns. (Not sure)
- Luck: Affects critical hits and overall better gear.
- Economy: How much money a leader can get every turn.
- Magic: Affects how much damage spells can do and overall magic points.
|Armer IX (聖王ウェンリーク9世)|
|Only surviving heir to the Chesirean throne. Above average in all areas and a great physical fighter. Poor selection of spells but they can still help you if you need them. Good economy. Can recruit Marie (Mage) and Dianna (Warrior) as unique characters. Great for beginners.
|Former cavalry commander of the Chesirean Army and all around cutie. Highest combat skills, leadership and command but economy is mediocre. Average yet still useful magic. Can recruit Kail (Priest) and David (Warrior) as unique characters. Only leader who "scores" at the end of the game.
|A scantily-clad, slightly psychopathic and vengeful sorceress who takes command of the kingdom after murdering King Armer, mistakenly believing that he is responsible for her sister's death. Poor leadership and command means her army will be medium sized at most. She has the best spells and highest magic points in the game but because of her low health you must keep her out of combat. Possibly due to a bug, she gets significantly less money compared to Armer and Robin despite having the highest economy stat. Can recruit Marcus (Warrior) and Katrina (Priestess) as unique characters.
|A vampire who murders King Armer then takes his place, ready to conquer the entire country for his own nefarious goals. Only truly evil character in the game. Even Krystal has some redeeming qualities. (Emphasis on "some") Very powerful magic just like Krystal. While he can summon a lot of monsters, a few of them, such as liches, are actually useful. Terrible economy means you have to be very careful about hired troops. Keep him away from frontlines and keep blasting spells. Can recruit Susan (Mage) and Andrew (Warrior) as unique characters. Hardest character to use. At least his ending is very satisfying. (Karma has a taste of irony)
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English (US)||Dark Wizard||Dark Wizard|
|Japanese||Dark Wizard: Yomigaerishi Yami no Madoushi (ダークウィザード 蘇りし闇の魔導士)|
- Script: Kenji Terada, Masaya Kaneko, The "Over"
- Character Design: Kenichi Ohnuki, Kazuaki Mouri
- Director: The "Over"
- Animation Director: Y.Moriguchi
- Animation Check: N.Nishimiya
- Production: Studio Zain
- Cooperation: Anime R
- Sound: Arts Vision
- Supervisor: Tetsuo Mizusima
- Special Effects: Noriyoshi Ohhira
- Recording Studio: Avaco Creative St, Tacto Studio
- Coordinater: Masayosi Ozaki
- Studio Zero-One
- Animation Data: The "Over", Hassy, Y.K.K
- Animation Programmer: Momonga Momo, Masato Ohmori, Emukei
- Music Composer: Sega Sound Team, Yoshimi Hishida, Shouko Ogawa
- Mixing: Yoshimi Hishida, Shouko Ogawa
- Simulated 3D Sound Technician: Kiyoshi Okabe
- Special Effects: Manabu Yamazaki
- Planner: The "Over", Heaven, Hassy, Y.K.K
- Assistant Planner: Zozo, Kyoten, Ohtahara, Kuro
- Graphic Director: Seishi Atsumiya
- Digitizer: Anything, Pochi, Mikarrin
- Assistant Digitizer: Say.A, Milcha, Hitou Kasazuka, Noza Yoshi, Cxxmajin, Gankochan
- Main Programmer: Emukei
- Programmer: Momonga Momo, Kottsu, Ahonoko, Djinni, Chata, Masato Ohmori
- Assistant Programmer: Ta,K, K,K, Hotty, Human
- SE Producer: Shuichiro Nishi, Yoshimi Hishida
- Music Composer: Tsukachan, S.O, Ippo, Bosanova.Pez, Yoshimi Hishida, Shouko Ogawa
- Mixing: Touji Akasaka, Yoshimi Hishida, Shouko Ogawa
- Sound Programmer: Tukachan, S.O, Ippo, Bosanova.Pez
- Simulated 3D Sound Technician: Kiyoshi Okabe
- Special Effects: S.O, Manabu Yamazaki
- Cooperation: Toshiba Emi, Tribarythmo
- Product Development Producer: Rhonda Van, Kent Russell
- Assistant Producer: Eric Wahlberg
- Translation: Yasuhiro Noguchi
- Marketing Product Manager: Tim Dunley
- Lead Tester: Dianna Boundy
- Test Lieutenants: Gregg Vogt, Dermot Lyons
- Cooperation: DMP Entertainment
Error: String exceeds 1,000 character limit.
- Main article: Dark Wizard/Magazine articles.
- Main article: Dark Wizard/Promotional material.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status