Dick Vitale's "Awesome, Baby!" College Hoops
From Sega Retro
|Dick Vitale's "Awesome, Baby!" College Hoops|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Publisher: Time Warner Interactive|
|Developer: Time Warner Interactive|
|Sound driver: GEMS|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Dick Vitale's "Awesome, Baby!" College Hoops is a basketball game with commentary from US sportscaster and former basketball coach Dick Vitale. It features numerous college basketball teams, and was developed and published by Time Warner Interactive in 1994.
During development the game was codenamed with the simpler title of Dick Vitale's Awesome Baby Basketball.
The game is unusual in that it attempts to create a fully 3D experience on Sega Mega Drive hardware, something assumed impossible. Depending on who has the ball, the screen rotates to face behind the player, rather than having a side-on view like NBA Jam. Unfortunately due to console limitations, this means there are no backgrounds (minus the floor and hoops), the rotations are choppy and the framerate is lower than in most games.
Though likely intended for a US-only release, Dick Vitale's "Awesome Baby" College Hoops managed to find its way to Australia.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- Press release: 1993-04-02: TENGEN VIDEO GAMES: DICK VITALE TO DESIGN COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEO GAME
- GamePro, "January 1995" (US; 199x-xx-xx), page 173
- EGM², "November 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 160
- Game Players, "Vol. 7 No. 10 October 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 60
- 1700 igr dlya Sega, "" (RU; 2003-xx-xx), page 89
- Game Players, "Vol. 7 No. 11 November 1994" (US; 1994-1x-xx), page 1
- GamePro, "October 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 112
- Tricks 16 bit, "Tricks Sega Gold 800 igr" (RU; 1998-xx-xx), page 51
- VideoGames, "October 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 90