Heavy Unit: Mega Drive Special
From Sega Retro
|Heavy Unit: Mega Drive Special|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Original system(s): Arcade boards|
|Publisher(s) of original games: Taito|
|Developer(s) of original games: Kaneko|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Heavy Unit: Mega Drive Special (ヘビーユニット メガドライブスペシャル) is a 1990 Sega Mega Drive shoot-'em-up developed by Kaneko and published by Toho exclusively in Japan. It is a modified port of Kaneko's 1988 arcade shoot-'em-up Heavy Unit.
Humans have developed an artificial planet, "Le Tau," which is being attacked by aliens, and only the Heavy Unit transforming ship can stop them.
and shoot; rapidfire is an option. drops a bomb, which you have an unlimited supply of but must collect as a powerup. Among the various powerups is one, labeled T, that transforms your ship into a mecha and back, which plays identically, except its bombs will home in on enemies. The ship has a spreadshot, while the mecha is power oriented.
There is a strange option called "control", it effects whether the ship/mecha has inertia or not ("organize" means inertia is activated).
Tips and tricks
- The big head monster in stage 1 can be exploited for infinite score. This is exclusive to the Sega Mega Drive port, as the arcade version auto scrolls past the boss. The game lacks a score table
- The Password option is used to enable cheats:
|TOMOYO||Credit increase 99.|
|LOCATE||Display stage scroll position|
Heavy Unit: Mega Drive Special features the same amount of stages as its arcade counterpart but with partially modified enemies placements and behaviors. Stage 2 has now an underwater theme and an added raster scroll effect. Unlike the arcade release, the game also doesn't loop after finishing it.
- Main article: Heavy Unit: Mega Drive Special/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software_l.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-07-02 23:21)
- Beep! MegaDrive, "January 1991" (JP; 1990-12-08), page 10
- Mega Drive Fan, "January 1991" (JP; 1990-12-08), page 35
- Beep! MegaDrive, "February 1991" (JP; 1991-01-08), page 30 (32)
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 85 (87)
- Computer & Video Games, "March 1991" (UK; 1991-02-16), page 72
- Génération 4, "Février 1991" (FR; 1991-xx-xx), page 99
- Joystick, "Mars 1991" (FR; 1991-0x-xx), page 110
- MegaTech, "Xmas 1991" (UK; 1991-12-06), page 78
- Sega Power, "October 1991" (UK; 1991-09-05), page 53
- Sega Pro, "Christmas 1991" (UK; 1991-12-12), page 47
NEC Retro has more information related to Heavy Unit.