From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Publisher: Victor Musical Industries|
|Developer: Sega R&D 2|
|Sound driver: SMPS 68000|
|Genre: Hyper Car Action (ハイパーカーアクション), Shooting|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Metal Fangs (メタルファング) is a Sega Mega Drive overhead racing game developed by Sega R&D 2 (and likely co-developed by Genki) and published by Victor Musical Industries. Released exclusively in Japan in December 1993, the game is most known for its troubled development cycle, and for likely being conceived as a first-party Sega title.
Originally developed for the Sega Mega-CD and promoted in magazines and at trade shows, Victor Musical Industries' American counterpart JVC planned on releasing Metal Fangs as a launch game for the new system. Such a release did not materialize, and development was instead switched to the Sega Mega Drive.
Metal Fangs was completed around June 1992, but was not released until December 1993. While solely credited to Victor Musical Industries, it appears development was primarily completed by Sega R&D 2. Apparently displeased with the game enough to disown the project, Sega either gave the mostly-completed game to developer Genki for finalization, or gave the fully-completed game to publisher Victor Musical Industries for release.
The game is composed by Hiroshi Kawaguchi and programmed by Tomoharu Kimura, both staff of Sega R&D 2, and graphic design was likely done by Genki co-founder Manabu Tamura. Additionally, an unused copyright notice for Yonezawa is located in the game's code; Yonezawa shared a close relation with Sega of Japan, and was later fully acquired by them in 1994.
- Main article: Metal Fangs/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- File:MetalFangs MD JP Box.png
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software_l.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-07-02 23:21)
- Beep! MegaDrive, "September 1992" (JP; 1992-08-08), page 5
- Beep! MegaDrive, "November 1992" (JP; 1992-10-08), page 10
- 1700 igr dlya Sega, "" (RU; 2003-xx-xx), page 179
- Beep! MegaDrive, "January 1994" (JP; 1993-12-08), page 26
- Famitsu, "" (JP; 1993-12-10), page 1
- Hippon Super, "January 1994" (JP; 1993-12-03), page 43
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 87