From Sega Retro
(Redirected from Ryu ga Gotoku Kiwami)
|System(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Steam|
| Publisher: |
Deep Silver (Europe)
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Yakuza Kiwami, known as Ryu ga Gotoku Kiwami (龍が如く極) in Japan, is a remake of the PlayStation 2 game, Yakuza developed by Ryu ga Gotoku Studio for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC. It was announced at a Sony press conference at Tokyo Game Show 2015, and was made to commemorate the series' tenth anniversary.
The Japanese release of the PlayStation 4 version includes a demo for Yakuza 6: The Song of Life.
Yakuza Kiwami is a remake of the first Yakuza game, originally released for the PlayStation 2 in 2005. Yakuza had previously been updated (alongside Yakuza 2 for the PlayStation 3 and Wii U game, Ryu ga Gotoku 1&2 HD Edition, but while there the changes were minimal (aside from upping the screen resolution and reducing load times), Kiwami uses an entirely different gameplay engine (last seen in Yakuza 0 but with roots back to Yakuza 3).
The story remains the same (to the point where even most of the cutscenes have the same timings and camera angles), but some tweaks were made to acknowledge the prequel, Yakuza 0. Also new is a "Majima Everywhere" system, where Kiryu is regularly challenged by Goro Majima in order to re-learn his dragon fighting style. All of the dialogue was re-recorded and more of it is spoken in Kiwami, while new side quests and other additions were added to give the game more content.
Graphics are updated across the board, both to reflect the improvements in technology, and to more closely align the characters with their appearances in later games. The game runs at a full 1080p resolution on the PlayStation 4 (versus the 512x448 of the PlayStation 2) at 60FPS (versus the PS2's 30FPS). The PlayStation 3 version has more comparable frame rates and a sub-720p screen resolution, but still produces a cleaner picture than its older sibling.
With the move to a modern Yakuza game engine, Kiwami offers a full 360-degree, adjustable camera, and players can walk from one end of the map to the other without experiencing loading time hitches. Conversely, the original game features fixed cameras, and can take a substantial amount of time to load new areas. Minor issues imposed by this new sense of freedom occur when navigating tighter indoor areas - less can be seen at any one time than on the PlayStation 2, although typically there is very little to see.
The combat system is also updated, with characters exhibiting more animation and gameplay becoming more fluid. The transition between exploring the city and entering/exiting a fight is less obtrusive (though not as seamless as the system seen in Yakuza 6) - the PlayStation 2 can often take the best part of a minute to load a fight, creating less of an incentive to get involved.
Yui Hatano, a Japanese adult video actress, makes a cameo as a hostess.
- Main article: Yakuza Kiwami/Achievements.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Yakuza Kiwami||Yakuza Kiwami|
|English (US)||Yakuza Kiwami||Yakuza Kiwami|
|Japanese||Ryu ga Gotoku Kiwami (龍が如く 極)|
|Chinese (Traditional; Taiwan)||人中之龍極|
|Title and description||Links||Releases|
Majima Everywhere Theme
Yakuza™ SHAREfactory™ Theme
||This article needs a list of production credits, either from the game itself, a manual, or other reliable source.|
- Main article: Yakuza Kiwami/Magazine articles.
PlayStation 3 version
PlayStation 4 version
|PlayStation 4, BX†|
|PlayStation 4, KR|
|PlayStation 4, RU (Издание Steelbook)|
- Official website on Sega.com
- Official website on PlayStation.co.kr (Korean)
- Yakuza Kiwami on PlayStation.com: PlayStation 3: JP, JP (digital); PlayStation 4: JP, JP (digital), US, UK, KR
- Yakuza Kiwami on PlayStation Store: PlayStation 3: JP; PlayStation 4: JP, US, UK, AU, KR, TW
- Yakuza Kiwami on Steam
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm61313.html (archived: 2015-12-05 18:25)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/jp0177npjb00772_00ryukiwaretail000.html (archived: 2016-02-05 05:48)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/pljm80110.html (archived: 2015-09-18 07:30)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/jp0177cusa03117_00ryukiwaretail000.html (archived: 2016-01-08 06:09)
- https://www.jp.playstation.com/games/ryu-ga-gotoku-kiwami-ps4/ (archived: 2018-04-21 21:27)
- http://yakuza.sega.com/kiwami/assets/img/pre/section04_img01.png (archived: 2017-04-24 00:34)
- http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/12/15272002/yakuza-kiwami-remake-release-date-ps4 (archived: 2017-04-13 13:39)
- http://www.playstation.co.kr:80/news/46066 (archived: 2016-04-28 04:00)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA06997_00-YAKUZAKIWAMI0100 (archived: 2018-02-25 12:14)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP4062-CUSA07615_00-YAKUZAKIWAMI0100 (archived: 2018-04-21 21:34)
- https://store.playstation.com/fr-fr/product/EP4062-CUSA07615_00-YAKUZAKIWAMI0100 (archived: 2018-04-21 21:35)
- https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP4062-CUSA07615_00-YAKUZAKIWAMI0100 (archived: 2018-02-25 12:12)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP4062-CUSA07615_00-YAKUZAKIWAMI0100 (archived: 2018-04-21 21:35)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-tw/product/HP0177-CUSA03691_00-RYUKIWACHINA0100 (archived: 2018-04-21 21:41)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA06997_00-YKMAJIMATHEME000 (archived: 2018-04-21 21:43)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP4062-CUSA07615_00-ETH0000000001571 (archived: 2018-04-21 21:45)
- https://store.playstation.com/fr-fr/product/EP4062-CUSA07615_00-ETH0000000001571 (archived: 2018-04-21 21:45)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP4062-CUSA07615_00-ETH0000000001571 (archived: 2018-04-21 21:45)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA06997_00-YAKUZA0AMERICA00 (archived: 2018-04-21 21:43)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP4062-CUSA07615_00-ETH0000000001434 (archived: 2018-04-21 21:47)