From Sega Retro
|System(s): PlayStation 3|
|Developer: Ryu ga Gotoku Studio|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Yakuza 5, known as Ryu ga Gotoku 5: Yume, Kanaeshi Mono (龍が如く５ 夢、叶えし者) in Japan is the fifth main game in the Yakuza series. It was released for the PlayStation 3 in late 2012 in Japan.
- 1 Story
- 1.1 Characters
- 1.2 Part 1: Kazuma Kiryu
- 1.3 Part 2: Taiga Saejima
- 1.4 Part 3: Haruka Sawamura & Shun Akiyama
- 1.5 Part 4: Tatsuo Shinada
- 1.6 Finale
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 History
- 4 Versions
- 5 Downloadable content
- 6 Production credits
- 7 Magazine articles
- 8 Artwork
- 9 Physical scans
- 10 External links
- 11 References
Taking place several years after the end of Yakuza 4, in 2012, Yakuza 5 tells the story of five individuals who end up getting involved a conspiracy that will shake the Japanese underworld. Just like previous games, Yakuza 5 has many sub-stories for each character and some character specific side stories.
Kiryu, main character of the Yakuza series, leaves the the Sunshine Orphanage for some unkown reason and settles down in city of Nagasugai with a fake name and works as a taxi driver. However, once again, his new life shatters when his friend and current chairman of the Tojo Clan, Daigo Dojima dissappears, presumably killed. Since Daigo dissappeared shortly after he attempted to talk to Kiryu, Kiryu is being hounded by both Police and other Yakuza families. Reluctant to return to fight, Kiryu eventually decides to investigate the matter himself after he realizes the conspiracy might end up harming Haruka, her adopted daughter.
Kiryu's home territory is Nagasugai, which is based on Fukuoka. Kiryu's side story involves driving the costumers around with his taxi and thwarting a dangerous street racer gang which starts targeting Kiryu.
Surrendering himself to the authorities after the end of Yakuza 4, Saejima decides to serve up end of his sentence. (Since it was revealed that he didn't commit any murders, his sentence is commuted to prison, presumably because even though he didn't kill anyone, he still committed "assault with deadly intent") Saejima spends one last day in Kamuro-cho with his sworn brother Goro Majima then surrenders to the authorities. In the jail however, he is repeatedly attacked by a group of Yakuza members. Saejima eventually receives the word that Majima in danger and somebody is trying to have him killed. With the help from the friendly warden of the prison he is staying in, he makes his escape to find out who is responsible for the recent troubles.
Majima's home territory is Tsukimono, based on Sapporo. His side story involves "hunting" side story in which he hunts wild life with a hunting shotgun. (The gun cannot be used outside the hunting mini game) After his life is saved by a hunter living in a small hunting community, Saejima decides to stay and help them, going after a monstrous, almost supernatural creature named Yama-no-Oroshi.
Kiryu's adopted daughter, Haruka has his own chapter. Leaving Sunshine Orphanage for Sotenbori, Haruka starts training to become a teen idol under strict but supportive guidance of Mrs. Park, owner of the idol agency she is working for. Half way through her story however, Park is murdered and Haruka joins forces with Akiyama to solve the mystery.
Naturally, since Haruka is only 16, (and a teenage girl) she does not engage in fights but instead enters "dance battles" with other dancers.
Haruka's home territory is Sotenbori, one of the locales from Yakuza 2, which is based on Osaka. Haruka's own side story involves her struggle to become an idol and dealing with an unfriendly group of teenage singers.
Akiyama, one of the main characters of the Yakuza 4, temporarily moves to Sotenbori to open up a branch of the Sky Finance. Soon after opening up the office however, he receives the word that his would-be business partner, Park is murdered. While investigating what happened, Akiyama meets Haruka again and they decide to work together. Akiyama becomes Haruka's protector as they try to find out who is responsible for Park's murder.
Akiyama and Haruka share the same home territory but not the sub missions. Akiyama has no side story.
A likeable loser, Shinada is a former baseball player who got banned for life after he was found guilty of match fixing and now lives a poor life in the streets of Kineicho, doing odd jobs and occasionaly working for an adult magazine as a reporter. His life turns upside down after he is targeted by the local Yakuza family for an unkown reason and receives the word that the people who framed him years ago might be in the town.
A new character to the series, Shinada uses baseball moves for attacking and is exceptionally skilled with use of weapons.
His home territory is Kineicho which based on Nagoya. His side story involves him accepting challenges from various people who want to prove themselves against the former baseball player.
Part 1: Kazuma Kiryu
Chapter 1: The Wanderer
Chapter 2: Uninvited Guest
Chapter 3: The Plot Unfolds
Chapter 4: Destinations
Part 2: Taiga Saejima
Chapter 1: Ends of the Earth
Chapter 2: The Way of Resolve
Chapter 3: Frozen Roar
Chapter 4: Reckless Encounter
Part 3: Haruka Sawamura & Shun Akiyama
Chapter 1: Backstage Dreams
Chapter 2: Hope Lives On
Chapter 3: Closing In
Chapter 4: Beyond the Dream
Part 4: Tatsuo Shinada
Chapter 1: Abandoned Glory
Chapter 2: Confronting the Past
Chapter 3: The Price of Truth
Chapter 4: Fleeting Triumph
Chapter 1: A Legend Returns
Chapter 2: A Hidden Past
Chapter 3: The Survivors
Chapter 4: Crossroads
Final Chapter: Dreams Fulfilled
Gameplay is similar to the previous games. Just like Yakuza 4, game will include multiple main characters and like Yakuza 2 and 3, four different locales.
- Main article: Yakuza 5/Achievements.
Yakuza 5 was released in Japan on December 6, 2012 for the PlayStation 3. The Japanese version sold 580,000 copies by the third quarter of Sega's 2012-2013 financial year. At the time of its release, there were no plans to release the game in the west due to the poor sales of Yakuza 4 and Yakuza: Dead Souls. Despite this, Yakuza 5 ended up becoming one of the most requested titles when SCEA started an online campaign called "Building The List", in which players were asked which games they want to see localized on PlayStation systems. As a result, the English localization was announced at the PlayStation Experience event held on December 6, 2014 in Las Vegas. The English version of Yakuza 5 was released as a digital-only game on the PlayStation Store on December 8, 2015 (three years after its initial Japanese release).
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Yakuza 5||Yakuza 5|
|English (US)||Yakuza 5||Yakuza 5|
|Japanese||龍が如く５ 夢、叶えし者||Ryu ga Gotoku 5: Yume, Kanaeshi Mono|
|Korean||용과 같이5 꿈을 이루는 자|
|Chinese (Traditional; Taiwan)||人中之龍５ 實現夢想者|
|Title and description||Links||Releases|
Developer Diary Part 1
Developer Diary Part 2
Developer Diary Part 3
Haruka Idol Avatar
|This article needs a list of production credits, either from the game itself, a manual, or other reliable source.|
- Main article: Yakuza 5/Magazine articles.
PlayStation 3 version
|Sega Retro Average|
|PlayStation 3, NA|
(Yakuza Remastered Collection)
|PlayStation 3, TW|
|PlayStation 3, AS†|
PlayStation 4 version
|PlayStation 4, JP|
|PlayStation 4, KR|
|PlayStation 4, TW|
- Sega of Japan catalogue page (Japanese)
- Yakuza 5 on PlayStation.com: JP, JP (Emblem Edition), JP (PS3 the Best), JP (PS3 the Best Reprint), JP (digital), US, UK, KR
- Yakuza 5 on PlayStation Store: US, UK, AU
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm60489.html (Wayback Machine: 2012-10-27 20:24)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/hardware/hsn0023.html (Wayback Machine: 2017-04-24 00:05)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm55065.html (Wayback Machine: 2013-12-09 23:25)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm55077.html (Wayback Machine: 2014-12-06 17:28)
- http://www.playstation.co.kr/game/2881 (archive.today)
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-NPUB31658_00-YAKUZA5000000001) (Wayback Machine: 2018-03-05 03:52)
- PlayStation Store (fr-fr; EP0177-NPEB02228_00-YAKUZA5000000000) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:03)
- PlayStation Store (fr-fr; EP0177-NPEB02228_00-YAKUZA5000000000) (archive.today)
- PlayStation Store (de-de; EP0177-NPEB02228_00-YAKUZA5000000000) (Wayback Machine: 2018-12-21 19:00)
- PlayStation Store (en-gb; EP0177-NPEB02228_00-YAKUZA5000000000) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:01)
- PlayStation Store (en-gb; EP0177-NPEB02228_00-YAKUZA5000000000) (archive.today)
- PlayStation Store (en-au; EP0177-NPEB02228_00-YAKUZA5000000000) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:01)
- PlayStation Store (en-au; EP0177-NPEB02228_00-YAKUZA5000000000) (archive.today)
- File:IR EN 2013-02-06.pdf, page 17
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-NPUB31658_00-VIDEOPS3UX000746) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:39)
- PlayStation Store (en-gb; EP0177-NPEL00676_00-VYAKUZA5XX000002) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:54)
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-NPUB31658_00-VIDEOPS3UX000747) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:39)
- PlayStation Store (en-gb; EP0177-NPEL00676_00-VYAKUZA5XX000003) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:56)
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-NPUB31658_00-VIDEOPS3UX000748) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:39)
- PlayStation Store (en-gb; EP0177-NPEL00676_00-VYAKUZA5XX000004) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:56)
- PlayStation Store (en-gb; EP0177-NPEL00676_00-VYAKUZA5XX000001) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:57)
- PlayStation Store (en-gb; EP0177-NPEL00676_00-VYAKUZA5XX000005) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:59)
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-NPUB31658_00-UAYAKUZA5X000004) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:43)
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-NPUB31658_00-UAYAKUZA5X000002) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:43)
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-NPUB31658_00-UAYAKUZA5X000003) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:43)
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-NPUB31658_00-UAYAKUZA5X000005) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:43)
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-NPUB31658_00-UAYAKUZA5X000006) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:43)
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-NPUB31658_00-UAYAKUZA5X000007) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:45)
- PlayStation Store (en-us; UP0177-NPUB31658_00-UAYAKUZA5X000008) (Wayback Machine: 2018-04-07 22:45)
Books: Ryu ga Gotoku 5: Yume, Kanaeshi Mono Kouryaku Shinan no Sho (2012) | Ryu ga Gotoku 5: Yume, Kanaeshi Mono Kanzen Kouryaku Kyoku no Sho (2013)