From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Due to the VRC, the violence was reduced to avoid the MA-17 rating.
Interestingly, Japanese version retains English subtitles.
Several years have passed since the events of the Splatterhouse 2. Rick and Jennifer who survived their hellish experience in the West Mansion, graduated from the college, married and settled down in an old house in the outskirts of the city. Their first child David, born soon after.
Cruel fate however, would not leave the poor family alone. One day, Rick returns from work and to his horror, realizes that their home is infested with gruesome creatures similar to the ones he faced years ago in the West Mansion. Then out of nowhere, Mask of Power appears, once again offering him power necessary to defeat the creatures and save his loved ones. Mask explains that Evil One, one of the antagonists of the previous game, has returned and kidnapped David who is appearently has psychic powers. In order to acquire the Dark Stone, which will allow owner to rule the universe, a child gifted with psychic powers must be sacrificed when stars are aligned.
With no other choice, Rick accepts the power of the Mask and once again turns into a hulkish brute, ready to exact swift, bloody vengeance from those attempt to harm his family. Filled with rage and aware that he is running out of time, Rick dashes into his old home.
Splatterhouse 3 strays from the gameplay of its predecessors and takes the form of a more conventional beat-'em-up with motion in two directions across each room of the mansion. The goal of each room is to clear the room of enemies, at which points all the doors of the house will unlock. Some rooms have more than two doors, allowing you to choose your path through the mansion. In addition, some enemies will drop orbs that, when collected, fill up a POW meter. Press at any point to transform into a more powerful being and start using up this power.
In every stage, players will have to fight not only against the enemies but also the time as well. In order to get the best ending, players must reach and defeat the boss as quickly as possible. Besides that running out of time will not hinder players at all.
|Mansion 1st Floor|
|The entrance of your home is not the way you remember. Headless corpses, strange fleshy lessions and bloody prints are everywhere. Pray that those do not belong to your family. Jennifer is somewhere around the first floor, desperately hiding from a horrifying monster. Find and kill the monstrosity before your beloved is hurt.|
|Mansion 2nd Floor|
|You are too late. Jennifer is infected with a disguisting parasite that will slowly eat her from within. Find and kill the boreworm queen before your wife turns into a mindless beast.|
|Mansion 3rd Floor|
|Regardless of the fate of your wife, you must now save your son. Rush to the third floor and find David's room. David will not be here but the Evil One left a small "present" for you.|
|Evil One's sacrifical ground is located at the bottom of your house. Race through the catabombs and fight back mindless creatures before the ceremony is complete. Hurry! Your son is in danger.|
|The Dark Stone|
|Evil One has acquired the portion of the Dark Stone's power, which is more than enough to crush a mortal like you. Will you be able to stop the ruler of darkness and save your family (or what's left of it)?|
|Your "friend" Mask finally revealed his true colors. You defeated one civilization ending creature, only to fight another. Destroy the Mask and end this nightmare once and for all.|
- Directed and Creature Designed by: Naga! Yama!
- Programmed by: Pori 2 Oohori
- Game Designed and Produced by: Sammy Shimotsuma
- Associate Producer: Papaya Payapaya
- Character Designer: Gyoee! Miyazaki
- Background Designer: Daiya. Y
- Assistant Graphic Designer: K. 327, Senpuuki, Kunfu Man
- Assistant Programmer: Hey!
- Special Visual Effect: Oja, Yuko, Mokkn
- Composed and Sound Designed by: Milky Eiko
- Sound Supervisor: Kiyoshi
- Voice Maker: Kawagen, Gaku
- Special Make up Artist: Sakusaku Koya
- Director of Photography: Silky No. 1
- Cast of Video Graphics:
- Rick the monster: Phychic
- Jennifer: Pascal
- David: Mikurin
- Rick the human: Oja
- Special Thanks: Funanin, Union Bikers, Ms. Kanai
- Presented By: Namcot
- Main article: Splatterhouse 3/Magazine articles.
also published in:
- Electronic Gaming Monthly (US) #52: "November 1993" (1993-xx-xx)
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Mega Drive, US|
- GamePro, "July 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 50
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "November 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 205
- Beep! MegaDrive, "April 1993" (JP; 1993-03-08), page 18 (20)
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 84 (86)
- GamePro, "July 1993" (US; 1993-xx-xx), page 48/49 (50)
- Mean Machines Sega, "May 1993" (UK; 1993-04-24), page 78-80 (78)