Super Wide Gear
From Sega Retro
|Super Wide Gear|
|Manufacturer: Sega, VIC Tokai|
|Made for: Sega Game Gear|
This teeny-tiny article needs some work. You can help us by expanding it.
The Super Wide Gear, known as the Big Window II (ビッグウインドーII) in Japan, is the second screen magnifer for the Sega Game Gear to be released by Sega. It is a replacement for the Wide Gear and has a similar purpose - it clips on to the bottom of the system and magnifies the display for easy viewing.
The Super Wide Gear makes a number of important changes to address problems with the earlier Wide Gear. This time the device clips is supported by top clips as well as bottom ones, and rests on the unit rather than floating above. The result is a more studier piece of kit. It still, however, requires to be screwed into the unit for stability. The device will also fold away for easy storage.
At this present time it is unknown exactly who designed the Super Wide Gear - though clearly adopted by Sega as a first party product, it credits VIC Tokai in Europe. Furthermore it is currently unknown what the situation is with the original Big Window whose design (by ABBA) seems identical to this one.
Accessories such as the Super Wide Gear exacerbate the issue of the Game Gear not being particularly portable. Unlike the normal Wide Gear, the Super Wide Gear is unlikely to be damaged during travel, but the added weight and volume combined with the already bulky nature of the system is the reason the Game Gear Carrying Case had to be created.
also published in:
- GamePro (US) #60: "July 1994" (1994-xx-xx)
- (US) #20: "August/September 1994" (1994-xx-xx)
- (US) #21: "October/November 1994" (1994-xx-xx)
- Electronic Gaming Monthly (US) #65: "December 1994" (1994-xx-xx)
- (US) #22: "December/January 1994/1995" (1994-xx-xx)
- GamePro (US) #66: "January 1995" (199x-xx-xx)
- (US) #23: "February/March 1995" (199x-xx-xx)
- File:GamePro US 056.pdf, page 102
- File:GamePro US 060.pdf, page 138
- File:SegaVisions US 20.pdf, page 2
- File:SegaVisions US 21.pdf, page 118
- File:EGM US 065.pdf, page 332
- File:SegaVisions US 22.pdf, page 132
- File:GamePro US 066.pdf, page 20
- File:SegaVisions US 23.pdf, page 52
|Sega Game Gear Hardware|
|Game Gear Variations||Sega Game Gear (Japan | North America | Europe (West | North | South | Central and East) | Other Regions) | Wide Gear|
|Add-ons||Action Replay | Game Genie | Master Gear Converter (Gear Master | Nuby Converter) | Stereo FM Tuner | TV Tuner|
|Cases||Carry-All | Deluxe Carry-All Case | Gear Bag | Holster Case | Standard Carrying Case | Soft Case | Third Party (Play & Carry Case)|
|Accessories||Car Adaptor | Car Antenna | Battery Pack | Cleaning Gear | Gear-to-Gear Cable | PowerBack (Third Party) | Screen Magnifier (Wide Gear | Super Wide Gear | Third-Party)|