From Sega Retro
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Developer: Rainbow Arts, Factor 5|
The Code Monkeys
|Number of players: 1|
This teeny-tiny article needs some work. You can help us by expanding it.
Universal Soldier is an action game released for the Sega Mega Drive in 1992. It is an interesting creation, as it is essentially a reworking of Factor 5's Turrican II with branding from the 1992 Universal Soldier film. Though the game was sold in stores, it was not licensed by Sega.
The game gives no credit to the original Turrican II staff in any form, with the exception of Turrican creator Manfred Trenz.
Universal Soldier replaces the three shoot 'em up levels in Turrican II with three new levels of standard gameplay with completely different sets of graphics and using the same music the discarded levels had. Aside from that and a reordered sequence of the levels, the gameplay in the whole game is left mostly intact. New additions compared to the original also include a password system and selectable difficulty. A couple of bosses were edited to resemble the antagonist in the film, Sergeant Andrew Scott (portrayed by Dolph Lundgren).
is for shooting, as well as are for jumping and is for the screen covering line attack. Unlike the Amiga original, the lines cover the whole screen. Pushing all three buttons together launches a very devastating screen filling attack, which is limited to one use per stage. Pushing while crouching transforms the player into an invincible spiked ball.
- Produced by: Chris Bankston
- Programmed by: The Code Monkeys
- Programming: Colin Hogg
- Aided by: Elliot Gay, Mark Kirkby
- Graphics by: Joe Lewis and Manfred Trenz
- Musicians: J.D. Rogers and Paul Kenny
- Original Music and Sound Effects (uncredited): Chris Hülsbeck
- Game Testers: Steve Graziano, Robert V. Daly, James R. Kucera
- Technical Advice: Chris Bankston, Tim Wilson, Russell Shiffer, Dave Rogers, Natalie Healy
- Main article: Universal Soldier/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
|Mega Drive, ES|
ROM dump status
- GamePro, "January 1993" (US; 199x-xx-xx), page 64
- Sega Zone, "November 1992" (UK; 1992-10-28), page 9
- Mean Machines Sega, "December 1992" (UK; 1992-11-xx), page 147
- Sega Mega Drive Advanced Gaming, "January 1993" (UK; 199x-xx-xx), page 57
- 1700 igr dlya Sega, "" (RU; 2003-xx-xx), page 254
- Consoles +, "Décembre 1992" (FR; 1992-1x-xx), page 102
- Entsiklopediya luchshikh igr Sega. Vypusk 1, "" (RU; 1999-xx-xx), page 366
- Mean Machines: The Essential Sega Guide, "" (UK; 1993-11-18), page 113
- Game Power, "Febbraio 1993" (IT; 1993-0x-xx), page 68
- Joypad, "Novembre 1992" (FR; 1992-1x-xx), page 170
- Joystick, "Décembre 1992" (FR; 1992-1x-xx), page 164
- Sega Mega Drive Advanced Gaming, "January 1993" (UK; 199x-xx-xx), page 56
- Mega, "January 1993" (UK; 1992-12-17), page 46
- MegaTech, "December 1992" (UK; 1992-11-20), page 62
- Mean Machines Sega, "January 1993" (UK; 1992-12-28), page 60
- Play Time, "1/93" (DE; 1992-12-09), page 88
- Sega Power, "January 1993" (UK; 1992-12-03), page 44
- Sega Pro, "December 1992" (UK; 1992-11-12), page 36
- Sega Pro, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-11), page 68
- Sega Zone, "December 1992" (UK; 1992-11-xx), page 16
- Sega Force, "January 1993" (UK; 1992-12-10), page 68
- Tricks 16 bit, "Tricks Sega Gold 800 igr" (RU; 1998-xx-xx), page 27
|Turrican games for Sega systems|
|Turrican (1991) | Universal Soldier (1992) | Mega Turrican (1994)|