Valis: The Fantasm Soldier
From Sega Retro
|Valis: The Fantasm Soldier|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Publisher: Renovation Products (US), Riot (JP)|
|Developer: Nihon Telenet|
|Original system(s): JP Home Computers|
|Number of players: 1|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Valis: The Fantasm Soldier, called Mugen Senshi Valis (夢幻戦士ヴァリス) in Japan, is a 1986 platformer by RIOT, a studio at Telenet Japan, for the MSX computer. It was ported to the Sega Mega Drive and released in late 1991. Despite being the first game in the Valis series, the Mega Drive port is a remake that was released after the port of Valis III was.
Yuko is walking when the weather repeatedly changes from raining to dry. Yuko notes that she dreamed about it the night before, and in that dream, she heard a voice call her. Suddenly, her friend Reiko appears, speaking in a very unusual fashion before leaving "for a while." While Yuko wonders why Reiko was acting weird, a monster appears out of nowhere and attacks. The voice from Yuko's dream calls out again — this time coming from someone in real life — and that person throws Yuko the Valis sword, allowing Yuko to attack not only this monster but all the monsters coming in.
That person turns out to be Varia/Valia, a being from fantasy world [sic] (whose name has changed in later translations). fantasy world exists in another dimension, but is bound to the dimension Earth is in ("the real world") by the internal "Yin"/"Yang" (always referred to with quotes) balance of people's souls — which has come out of balance because of Yin's power "Vecanta," which has caused "people" to "entertain" themselves with war. Rogles, a king of another dimension, is behind this manipulation. To ensure his victory, Rogles took "Yang"'s power, put it in the Phantasm Jewel, and broke it into pieces, scattering them across dimensions and guarding them with his best guards. Yuko most now collect the pieces and use "Yang"'s power to defeat Rogles.
The game controls like a conventional platformer: and move, looks up, crouches, jumps, + jumps higher, + jumps off ledges, and and slides. Yuko uses Valis with . While she can use the sword while crouching, she cannot use it while looking up. Instead, hitting + uses a magic power coming from the collected pieces of the Phantasm Jewel. You can select which power from the pause menu.
Also scattered throughout each level are various powerups within gems broken open with Valis. Sword powerups add an energy ball that is shot out when Yuko swings Valis — every subsequent sword powerup adds another energy ball. Blue crystals increase magic power. Hearts restore health.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English (US)||Valis: The Fantasm Soldier||Valis: The Fantasm Soldier|
|Japanese||Mugen Senshi Valis (夢幻戦士ヴァリス)|
- Director: Eiji Kikuchi
- Scenario Writer: Tomoko Miura
- Character Design: Osamu Nabeshima
- Programmer: Atsushi Komiya, Yasuhisa Tanaka
- Designer: Hiroaki Kai, Kazuya Tsukazaki, Hiroshi Sawamura, Toshiya Sasaki
- Music: Minoru Yuasa, Hiroaki Kai
- Promotion: Takao Yoshioka, Masahisa Ohno, Yuma Miura
- Producer: Minoru Yuasa
- Executive Producer: Jiro Fukushima, Kazuyuki Fukushima, Yuji Fukushima
- Special Thanks to: Takashi Fukushima, Masayasu Yamamoto, Shinobu Ogawa, Kenji Goshima, Takaaki Matsumoto, Hajime Komatsu, Soukichi Matsuzawa, Akira Igarashi, Yuichi Ohishi, Yoshiko Kageyu, AD FACTOR Co.,Ltd., SOTSU AGENCY Co.,Ltd., BUSINESS SUPPORT Co.,Ltd., HORON INDUSTRY Co.,Ltd.
- US Staff: Takami Kinoshita, Hideki Hiraga, Linda Lavin, David Izat
- Presented by Telenet Japan
- Source: In-game credits
- Main article: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier/Magazine articles.
- Main article: Valis: The Fantasm Soldier/Promotional material.
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- File:Valis MD JP Box.jpg
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/megadrive/software_l.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-07-02 23:21)
- Beep! MegaDrive, "January 1992" (JP; 1991-12-07), page 33
- GamePro, "June 1992" (US; 1992-xx-xx), page 58
- Beep! MegaDrive, "January 1992" (JP; 1991-12-07), page 81
- Consoles +, "Février 1992" (FR; 1992-0x-xx), page 74
- Famitsu, "1991-12-27" (JP; 1991-12-13), page 42
- Hippon Super, "January 1992" (JP; 1991-12-04), page 91
- Joystick, "Février 1992" (FR; 1992-0x-xx), page 126
- Mega Drive Fan, "March 1992" (JP; 1992-02-XX), page 83
- Sega Pro, "April 1993" (UK; 1993-03-11), page 68
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "September 1995" (JP; 1995-08-08), page 87
NEC Retro has more information related to Mugen Senshi Valis.
|Valis: The Fantasm Soldier|