From Sega Retro
|Developer: PlatinumGames, Little Stone Software|
|System(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Steam|
The story is set in the near future. Russia and the United States are vying for ownership of the world’s fast-depleting energy resources and the US has constructed a space station in order to harness energy from the sun. Russian forces capture this space station and divert its harvested solar energy into a blast wave that destroys San Francisco, aiming to force the US into a total and unconditional surrender. In response, the US tasks its armed forces with recapturing the space station before the Russians can annihilate their next target – New York.
The player takes control of Sam, a government agent kitted out with a futuristic battle suit.
- Main article: Vanquish/Achievements.
The game was created by the team previously responsible for Resident Evil 4, including lead director Shinji Mikami; his first game under the Platinum Games brand. The game was in development since 2007; in January 2010, a full motion video trailer was released.
Mikami has stated that the game was developed with the PlayStation 3 as its lead platform, commenting that it was a "great success".
In the course of developing Vanquish, Shinji Mikami said that the game's graphics were inspired by the Casshern anime series.
Vanquish builds on the codebase seen in Bayonetta.
The game was ported to PC and sold on Steam in 2017.
On consoles, Vanqish runs with an internal screen resolution of 1024x720. It aims for 30FPS, but in busy sections tends to fluctuate between 20-30FPS, rarely hitting its performance target.
On PC, the frame rate is unlocked and support for higher resolutions was added. While textures and polygons are broadly the same throughout, improved texture filtering means more of the detail is visible at any one time. A basic ambient occlusion rendering technique was added, and motion blur uses more samples to create a smoother effect. Shadows are also improved, and the game no longer makes level of detail adjustments to the polygons depending on the distance away from the camera.
As cutscenes are pre-rendered, they are capped at 30FPS and will likely display at a lower resolution than in-game graphics. On PC, these videos play at a slightly higher resolution than on console. Videos make up 16GB of the required 18GB install.
|PlayStation 3: JP, US, UK, AU, KR, TW|| JP: 2010-11-18
|US: $1.99 EU: €1.99 UK: £1.69 AU: $2.95 KR: ₩2,300 TW: NT$60|
- Main article: Vanquish/Magazine articles.
PlayStation 3 version
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|PlayStation 3, UK (steelbook)|
|PlayStation 3, UK (Essentials)|
|PlayStation 3, FR (steelbook)|
|PlayStation 3, ES (Essentials)|
|PlayStation 3, AS†|
|PlayStation 3, CA|
|PlayStation 3, EX†|
Xbox 360 version
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Xbox 360, UK (steelbook)|
|Xbox 360, ES|
|Xbox 360, ES (steelbook)|
|Xbox 360, IT|
|Xbox 360, AS†|
- Official website on Sega.com
- Official website on Sega.jp
- Sega of Japan catalogue pages (Japanese): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Vanquish on Xbox Marketplace: UK, US, JP, KR
- Vanquish on PlayStation.com: JP, JP (digital), US, UK, KR
- Vanquish on PlayStation Store: JP, US, UK, AU, KR, TW
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/bljm60227.html (archived 2010-10-10 15:07)
- http://www.jp.playstation.com:80/software/title/jp0177npjb00245_00000vanquishhddjp.html (archived 2012-10-14 14:28)
- http://www.playstation.co.kr/news/17912 (archived 2017-04-22 22:32)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-NPUB30725_00-VANQUISHBDTOPSN1 (archived 2018-04-06 19:20)
- https://store.playstation.com/fr-fr/product/EP0177-NPEB01133_00-000VANQUISHHDDEU (archived 2018-04-06 19:21)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0177-NPEB01133_00-000VANQUISHHDDEU (archived 2018-04-06 19:21)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP0177-NPEB01133_00-000VANQUISHHDDEU (archived 2018-04-06 19:21)
- /https://steamdb.info/app/460810/ (archived 2017-05-22 01:32)
- https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/product/JP0177-BLJM60227_00-WEAPONPACK0000JP (archived 2018-04-06 19:29)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-BLUS30543_00-WEAPONPACK0000US (archived 2018-04-06 19:26)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0177-BLES00927_00-WEAPONPACK0000EU (archived 2018-04-06 19:28)
- https://store.playstation.com/ko-kr/product/UP0177-BLUS30543_00-ASIATRIWEAPONPAC (archived 2018-04-06 19:29)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-tw/product/UP0177-BLUS30543_00-ASIATRIWEAPONPAC (archived 2018-04-06 19:30)
- https://store.playstation.com/fr-fr/product/EP0177-BLES00927_00-WEAPONPACK0000EU (archived 2018-04-06 19:28)
- https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP0177-BLES00927_00-WEAPONPACK0000EU (archived 2018-04-06 19:28)