Action Replay CDX
From Sega Retro
|Action Replay CDX|
|Made for: Sega Dreamcast|
|Manufacturer: Datel, InterAct (US), Karat (JP)|
|Type: Cheat tool|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
The Action Replay CDX acts as a boot disc. Users place the disc in a Dreamcast before playing, select cheats and then insert a regular game disc when prompted. It also acts as a freeloader, allowing for games from different regions to be played on the console. Cheats are not saved onto VMUs, but rather a black VMU-like device which is inserted into the Dreamcast controller instead.
There are a few different flavours of the CDX - InterAct had the rights to distribute Datel products in North America and renamed the device the GameShark CDX. In Japan Karat sold the device as the Pro Action Replay or DC PAR. The Action Replay CDX and GameShark CDX came with a tutorial on a VHS tape. The Lite version did not, nor did the Japanese version of the CDX.
One of the original plans was to allow users to get new cheat codes directly from Datel/Interact through this bespoke VMU-like memory card, because this was considered easier than pressing new sets of discs. Inevitably hackers created modified versions of the disc to work with normal VMUs, prompting InterAct to release the GameShark Lite in North America, which has the same functionality but does not need the black memory card. There does not appear to have been an equivalent to the Lite in Europe, although in France a reduced version of the Action Replay CDX was released as the Equalizer Xtreme.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Action Replay CDX||Action Replay CDX|
|English (US)||GameShark CDX||GameShark CDX|
|Japanese||プロアクションリプレイ||Pro Action Replay|
- Main article: Action Replay CDX/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
- Official Dreamcast Magazine, "Holiday 2000" (US; 2000-11-28), page 43
- http://www.clickandbuild.com:80/cnb/shop/d3world?op=catalogue-products&prodCategoryID=5&listPos= (Wayback Machine: 2000-06-03 19:05)
- Computer & Video Games, "October 2000" (UK; 2000-09-13), page 20
- GamePro, "August 2000" (US; 2000-xx-xx), page 146
- Arcade, "September 2000" (UK; 2000-08-11), page 93
- Dreamcast Monthly, "October 2000" (UK; 2000-08-31), page 91