From Sega Retro
|Type: Light gun|
|Made for: Sega Dreamcast|
This teeny-tiny article needs some work. You can help us by expanding it.
Dreamcast Gun (ドリームキャスト・ガン) is the official light gun peripheral for the Sega Dreamcast. As with other official Dreamcast peripherals, the Dreamcast Gun is said to be of very good quality and one of the most accurate light guns of the day. It also contains a VMU slot.
The Dreamcast Gun has an unusual history due to the events of the Columbine High School massacre in the US. As a result, the peripheral was not sold in this region due to fears of bad press, and was therefore only available in Japan and PAL regions. The Dreamcast Gun is completely compatible with a US Dreamcast as well other versions of the console, but most NTSC-U Dreamcast games refuse to work with the controller, meaning the user must rely on imported software. Exceptions include the port of Virtua Cop 2 seen in the US-only release of Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 and the "Big Car Hunter" minigame seen in Demolition Racer: No Exit.
Oddly Mad Catz were granted the rights to produce third party light guns for the Dreamcast in America. Their version, called the Dream Blaster, is compatible with all US light gun games, and is the only third party controller to contain Dreamcast branding due to the relationship between Sega and Mad Catz.
- Main article: Dreamcast Gun/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/dreamcast/devices.html (archived: 2020-03-02 04:53)
- Hyper, "September 1999" (AU; 1999-xx-xx), page 31
- Bonus, "3/2001" (SCG; 2001-04-25), page 82
- Bonus, "4/2001" (SCG; 2001-05-25), page 48
- Bonus, "5/2001" (SCG; 2001-06-25), page 2
- Bonus, "6/2001" (SCG; 2001-07-25), page 46
- Computer & Video Games, "November 1999" (UK; 1999-10-13), page 68