Sega Smash Pack Volume 1
From Sega Retro
|Sega Smash Pack Volume 1|
|System(s): Sega Dreamcast|
|Game total: 12|
|Peripherals supported: Dreamcast Arcade Stick, Dreamcast Gun, Visual Memory Unit, Dreamcast VGA Box|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 is a Sega Dreamcast compilation of twelve earlier Sega games. Ten of these games were originally released for the Sega Mega Drive. This compilation was only available to certain bundled Dreamcast systems, although there were plans at one stage to release it separately later.
This is the third compilation to be released that was titled Sega Smash Pack; the first two were released for PC. When released, the game was criticized for its poor emulation and the poorly reproduced music featured in the games. The game's disc (GD-ROM) contains a text document that elaborates on the emulator and includes text that alludes to Sega's dropping out of the console business.
- Altered Beast
- Golden Axe
- Phantasy Star II
- Revenge of Shinobi
- Sega Swirl (originally released on Dreamcast demo discs, as well as PC/Shockwave and Palm OS)
- Shining Force
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Streets of Rage 2
- Virtua Cop 2 (port of PC game, which was a port of the Saturn version)
- Wrestle War
- Loading the disc inside of a PC CD-ROM drive will provide an installer for the PC version of Sega Swirl.
- Original Genesis Emulator by: Yuki Enterprise
- Programmer: Kazuro Morita
- Artist: Toshirou Hara
- Tester: Maho Miura
- Producer: Yasuo Tanaka
- Senior PRoducer: Scott Hawkins
- Lead Programmer: Gary Lake
- Lead Artist: Kunitake Aoki
- VMU Artwork: Chris Meyer
- Product Manager: Cord Smith
- Project Coordinator: Frank Viloria
- Lead Tester: Rick "Maverick" Ribble Jr.
- Assistant Lead Testers: Daniel Chang, Shawn Dobbins, Curtis Chiu
- Testers: Ed Brady, Benjie Galvez, Chris Meyer, Mike "Rhino" Rhinehart, Gabrielle Brown, Steve Peck, Keehwan Her, Tom Fong
- Special Thanks: Peter Moore, Shinobu Toyoda, Chris Gilbert, Joe Culley, Jin Shimazaki, John Goodale, John Golden, Masaharu Yoshii, Yoshiki Ooka, Osamu Shibamiya, Klayton Vorlick, Bob Schonfisch, Angela Santos, Simon McIlroy, Sheri Hockaday, Dennis Lee, Jason Kuo, Wilco Ibes, Doug Broadhurst, Neal Robinson, Kathy Schoback, John Byrd, Dylan Rudolph, Mike Tucker, Judy Jette, Charlie Bellfield, Teri Higgins, Heather Hawkins, Karen Brown, Gwen Marker, Billi Siedow, Tina Mendez, Alex Villigran, Bob Dales, Tom Dudley, Lu Luna, Don Nolan, Leonard Slootmaker, Leslie McKnew, Demery Barnett, Arnold Feener, Munawwar Daimee, John Amirkhan, Todd Slepian, Polly Escalona
- Main article: Sega Smash Pack Volume 1/Magazine articles.
|Sega Retro Average|
Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 can utilize VMU storage to save emulator configurations as well as save data for Phantasy Star II, Shining Force, Virtua Cop 2 and Sega Swirl. The compilation does not combine all save files into one file due to the varying sizes.
ROM dump status
- Press release: 2001-01-30: Sega's Smash Pack Delivers Value Plus Hours of Fun to Dreamcast Gamers
- http://www.segaweb.com:80/release/index.html (Wayback Machine: 2001-02-01 07:42)
- GamePro, "February 2001" (US; 2001-xx-xx), page 28
- File:Segasmashpack dc us manual.pdf, page 22
- Dreamcast Magazine, "No. 21" (UK; 2001-04-19), page 58
- Neo Plus, "Kwiecień 2001" (PL; 2001-xx-xx), page 56
- PSX Extreme, "05/2001" (PL; 2001-0x-xx), page 62