Samba de Amigo Maracas Controller
From Sega Retro
|Samba de Amigo Maracas Controller|
|Made for: Sega Dreamcast|
The Samba de Amigo Maracas Controller (サンバ DE アミーゴ マラカスコントローラ)is a set of special controllers for the Sega Dreamcast, and, as the name suggests, were intended for the Dreamcast version of Samba de Amigo.
The maracas are able to send a signal back to the Dreamcast, telling the console the position of the controllers and how often they are being shaken. Samba de Amigo had six positions for where the maracas could be held (three for each hand) - high, medium and low. There is an extra sensor attached to each lead which will record the position.
Samba de Amigo was the only game to officially support the maracas, though it is possible to use them with Namco's Mr. Driller and SNK's Cool Cool Toon. Third-party alternatives exist as the Cha Cha Amigo Controller and Samba Fans.
The Wii version of the game did not ship with maraca controllers as it tracks positions via the Wii remote, however Sega did bundle the game with a set of maraca shells which, when placed on the Wii remote and nunchuk, will rattle when shaken.
- Main article: Samba de Amigo Maracas Controller/Magazine articles.
- https://sega.jp/history/hard/dreamcast/devices.html (Wayback Machine: 2020-03-02 04:53)
- Press release: 2000-10-17: Sega Delivers a Fiesta of Fun to Dreamcast Players With Samba de Amigo
- Bonus, "3/2001" (SCG; 2001-04-25), page 82
- Bonus, "4/2001" (SCG; 2001-05-25), page 48
- Bonus, "5/2001" (SCG; 2001-06-25), page 2
- Bonus, "6/2001" (SCG; 2001-07-25), page 46