Bubble Bobble also featuring Rainbow Islands
From Sega Retro
|Bubble Bobble also featuring Rainbow Islands|
|System(s): Sega Saturn|
|Publisher: Acclaim Entertainment|
|Developer: Probe Entertainment|
|Original system(s): Arcade boards|
|Publisher(s) of original games: Taito|
|Developer(s) of original games: Taito|
|Game total: 2|
|Genre: Compilation, Action|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Bubble Bobble also featuring Rainbow Islands (commonly shortened to just Bubble Bobble & Rainbow Islands) is a compilation of both Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands, two popular arcade games developed by Taito in the 1980s and early 1990s. It was released for the Sega Saturn (alongside PlayStation and PC versions) in 1996.
Bubble Bobble also featuring Rainbow Islands is a curiously named game as despite suggesting Bubble Bobble is the main focus of this compilation, it is actually Rainbow Islands which receives the most treatment. Rainbow Islands exists in two forms, a largely unaltered arcade conversion and an enhanced mode, which updates the graphics to take advantage of the larger colour palette. Both share the same musical score and gameplay.
Bubble Bobble takes cues from both these versions of Rainbow Islands, being a faithful arcade conversion with some very minor graphical changes, effectively just giving the characters some shading (as opposed to Rainbow Islands which replaces backgrounds too).
Neither version of Rainbow Islands is entirely true to its arcade roots, as the theme of its first stage has been altered to sound less like Harold Arlen's "Over the Rainbow", most likely due to legal concerns which arose as the game became more popular. This altered theme was used in previous conversions for the Nintendo Entertainment System (1991) and the Sega Master System (1993).
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
|74,445,504||CD-ROM (EU)||T-8131H-50 V1.000|
|74,452,560||CD-ROM (US)||T-8131H V1.000|
- http://www.sega-saturn.com/saturn/software/bubble.htm (Wayback Machine: 1996-12-15 06:12)
- Mean Machines Sega, "January 1997" (UK; 1996-12-06), page 12
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "October 1996" (US; 1996-xx-xx), page 7
- GamesMaster, "November 1996" (UK; 1996-09-26), page 51
- Fun Generation, "10/96" (DE; 1996-09-11), page 68
- MAN!AC, "10/96" (DE; 1996-09-11), page 62
- Mega Fun, "11/96" (DE; 1996-10-16), page 59
- Mean Machines Sega, "October 1996" (UK; 1996-09-03), page 60
- Player One, "Septembre 1996" (FR; 1996-08-29), page 114
- Sega Power, "November 1996" (UK; 1996-09-26), page 54
- Sega Saturn Magazine, "October 1996" (UK; 1996-09-18), page 74
- Total Saturn, "Volume One Issue Four" (UK; 1996-12-29), page 13
- Video Games, "9/96" (DE; 1996-08-28), page 92
|Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands games for Sega systems|
|Bubble Bobble (1991) | Rainbow Islands Extra (1990) | Rainbow Islands (1993) | Bubble Bobble also featuring Rainbow Islands (1996) | Bubble Symphony (1997)|
|Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move games for Sega systems|
|Bust-A-Move (1996) | Bust-A-Move 2: Arcade Edition (1996) | Bust-A-Move 3 (1997) | Bust-A-Move 4 (2000) | Azumanga Daioh Puzzle Bobble (2002)|