From Sega Retro
|Developer: Visual Concepts Ringler Studios|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive, Virtual Console|
|Sound driver: GEMS|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
ClayFighter, is a fighting game developed by Visual Concepts and published by Interplay in 1994 for the Sega Mega Drive. This game is a port from the Super Nintendo, with several gameplay changes taken from the updated SNES version, Clay Fighter: Tournament Edition. The game was most known for its colorful graphics, with each character rendered from clay to give the game its unique look.
The game features eight playable characters, battling each other to become the 'King of the Circus'. The one-player game has the selected character battle through several matches, including a few rematches against previously beaten opponents, before fighting the game's final enemy, N. Boss. Each character has a set of special moves performed with special button combinations. When a character receives heavy damage, the word 'KO!' will appear above them, if they are hit with a special move during this time, they will take extra damage.
Debuting a year after its Super NES counterpart, ClayFighter on the Mega Drive is roughly the same as on Nintendo's console, but makes a number of graphical cutbacks (particularly in the introduction sequence) to accommodate for the lack of native sprite scaling and rotation. Most of the in-game graphics employ dithering techniques to cater for the Mega Drive's smaller colour palette and lack of semi-transparency support, and the top heads-up-display features a solid black background, masking the top portion of the in-game scenery.
Many voice clips are also missing in the Mega Drive version.
- Main article: ClayFighter/Magazine articles.
#1: "July 1994" (1994-07-19)
also published in:
- EGM² (US) #2: "August 1994" (1994-xx-xx)
- Electronic Gaming Monthly (US) #62: "September 1994" (1994-xx-xx)
- GamePro (US) #64: "November 1994" (1994-xx-xx)
- EGM² (US) #5: "November 1994" (1994-xx-xx)
- Sega Visions (US) #22: "December/January 1994/1995" (1994-xx-xx)
- VideoGames (US) #72: "January 1995" (199x-xx-xx)
#34: "Décembre 1994" (1994-xx-xx)
#49: "March 1995" (1995-xx-xx)
|Sega Retro Average|
| Based on|
|Mega Drive, AU|
ROM dump status
- File:MeanMachinesSega26UK.pdf, page 88
- http://www.nintendo.com:80/games/detail/s2w8G9MCpa8iwNpN3sGc9CZ_CPpob_Qa (archived: 2011-02-03 16:53)
- http://www.nintendolife.com/games/megadrive/clayfighter (archived: 2017-06-13 22:43)
- File:EGM2 US 02.pdf, page 2
- File:EGM US 062.pdf, page 112
- File:GamePro US 064.pdf, page 116
- File:EGM2 US 05.pdf, page 258
- File:SegaVisions US 22.pdf, page 148
- File:VideoGames US 72.pdf, page 38
- File:ConsolesPlus FR 042.pdf, page 156
- File:PlayerOne FR 052.pdf, page 104
- File:VideoGames US 71.pdf, page 128