From Sega Retro
- Not to be confused with Yasuhiro "Yas" Takagi.
|Date of birth: 1965-10-12 (age 56)|
|Role(s): Designer, director|
|Education: Tokyo University of Science (Engineering)|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Hirokazu Yasuhara (安原 広和) was game and level designer for Sega. He remained the chief map designer for the early Sonic the Hedgehog games all the way through Sonic R in 1997, and the shelved Sonic X-treme. He continued to give his design expertise to Sega of America projects, such as the 2001 Floigan Bros.. Between Sonic R and Flogain Bros. he got money from Sega of Japan to be involved in Disney rides and attractions.
In 2008, Yasuhara departed Naughty Dog to take up a job at Namco Bandai America, where he worked on Pac-Man Party, which released in 2010.
In 2012, Yasuhara was hired by Nintendo Software Technology Corporation, a US-based division of the company of the same name best known for developing the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games.
He has worked with the Education team of Unity Technology Japan to create game-design educational materials since 2016.
|“||I was opposed to [Sega's] decision to create games that use 'Sonic-something' so that they can sell it easily. I wanted to make good games, not any games that used the Sonic character in a haphazard way.||„|
— Yasuhara on his work on the Traveller's Tales-developed Sonic titles
- Fatal Labyrinth (Mega Drive; 1990) — Planner (as Carol)
- Pyramid Magic (Mega Drive; 1991) — Special Thanks to (as Carol)
- Pyramid Magic Special (Mega Drive; 1991) — Special Thanks to (as Carol)
- Game no Kanzume Vol. 1 (Mega-CD; 1994) — Special Thanks to (as Carol)
- Comix Zone: Roadkill (CD; 1995) — Special Thanks
- Virtual Sonic (CD; 1996) — Special Thanks
- Altered Beast (Arcade version) (1988) — credit unknown
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive Version) (1991) — Game Plan (as Carol Yas)
- Fatal Labyrinth (1991) — Planner (as Carol)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive Version) (1992) — Game Planner (as Hirokazu Yasuhara (Carol Yas)), Object Placement
- Sonic Spinball (Mega Drive Version) (1993) — A Special Bow to [NOTE: Manual credit]
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994) — Director, Lead Game Designer
- Sonic & Knuckles (1994) — Director, Lead Game Designer
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (1994) — Director, Lead Game Designer
- Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (Mega Drive Version) (1996) — Playfield Design (SOJ) (Sega)
- Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (Saturn and PC Versions) (1996/1997) — Playfield Design (SOJ) (Sega)
- Sonic X-treme (Canceled) — Head Designer
- Sonic R (Saturn Version) (1997) — Map Design Director (Sega of America Inc.)
- Sonic R (PC Version) (1998) — Map design director (Sega of America Inc.) (Sega), Map design director (Sega Enterprises Ltd.) (Sega)
- Sega Smash Pack 2 (2000) — Special Thanks
- Floigan Brothers: Episode 1 (2001) — Game Designer (Visual Concepts Credits)
- Jak II (2003) — Game Designer
- Jak 3 (2004) — Game Designer
- Jak X: Combat Racing (2005) — Game Designer
- Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007) — Game Designer (Naughty Dog)
- Afro Samurai (2009) — Special Thanks (Namco Bandai Games America Inc.)
- Pac-Man Party (2010) — Senior Game Designer (Namco Bandai Games America, Inc.)
- Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (2013) — Game Designer (Nintendo Software Technology)
|Some or all of the following content should be mirrored on Sega Retro (or Retro CDN).|
- Hirokazu Yasuhara on Twitter
- Sonic the Hedgehog co-creator Hirokazu Yasuhara joins Nintendo (April 4, 2012)
- Classic Game Postmortem: 'Sonic the Hedgehog' (PDF version)