Kawasaki Superbike Challenge
From Sega Retro
|Kawasaki Superbike Challenge|
|System(s): Sega Mega Drive|
|Publisher: Domark, Time Warner Interactive|
|Sound driver: GEMS|
|Number of players: 1-2|
This short article is in need of work. You can help Sega Retro by adding to it.
Kawasaki Superbike Challenge, known as Kawasaki Superbikes in Europe, is a motorbike racing game for the Sega Mega Drive and Super NES. The Mega Drive version features 3D graphics. During development the Sega Mega Drive version had the name Vroom 2.
While all versions of Kawasaki Superbike Challenge have the same underlying structure to gameplay, all take a different approach to graphics and presentation with varying results.
The Mega Drive and Super NES versions opt for a first-person perspective and attempt to render parts course in 3D. In both cases, frame rate is affected, but while the Super NES version runs faster than its Mega Drive sibling (roughly 5-10 more frames per second, though both run below 30FPS and exhibit minor slowdown in busy scenes), the Mega Drive renders all its scenery in 3D (save for rival bikes which are sprites). On the Super NES, scenery such as trees and spectators are also sprites, with only the occasional piece of 3D geometry being rendered in 3D.
The Super NES also has less scenery than the Mega Drive version, which renders walls, buildings, street lamps, bridges and rounded tunnels. Sprites are also scaled and rotated in real time on the Mega Drive, despite the console lacking the native hardware support to do so. Conversely, no sprite scaling is in place on the Super NES, with the engine swapping out different sized sprites and creating a "jerky" look in the process.
Performance of the Mega Drive version can be improved signficantly by using a "turbo mode" option, which pans the camera further back and reduces the size of in-game sprites. Such a system was seen in Lankhor's previous release, F1.
|Language||Localised Name||English Translation|
|English||Kawasaki Superbikes||Kawasaki Superbikes|
|English (US)||Kawasaki Superbike Challenge||Kawasaki Superbike Challenge|
- ™ & © 1994 Domark Group Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Kawasaki used under license from Kawasaki Motors Ltd. Kawasaki is a registered trademark of Kawasaki Ltd. Licensed to Time Warner Interactive.
- Developed By: Lankhor
- Programmed By: Jean Luc Langlois and Christian Droin
- Graphics By: Stephane Polard, Lloyd Baker and Jason Cunningham
- Additional Graphics By: Jolyon Myers
- Music By: Mike Ash
- Original Design By: Chris Johnson
- Produced By: Darren Anderson
- Testing By: Ken Jordan, Tim Mawson and Clifford Ramsey
- In-game credits
- Main article: Kawasaki Superbike Challenge/Magazine articles.
Mega Drive version
|Sega Retro Average|
ROM dump status
- Game Players, "Vol. 7 No. 12 December 1994" (US; 1994-xx-xx), page 12
- Mean Machines Sega, "May 1995" (UK; 1995-03-28), page 100
- Computer & Video Games, "April 1995" (UK; 1995-03-15), page 101
- Sega Megazone, "March 1995" (AU; 1995-xx-xx), page 24
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, "May 1995" (US; 1995-0x-xx), page 45
- Consoles +, "Avril 1995" (FR; 1995-0x-xx), page 104
- Mean Machines Sega, "March 1995" (UK; 1995-01-30), page 80/81 (80)
- Player One, "Avril 1995" (FR; 1995-0x-xx), page 122
- Sega Magazine, "March 1995" (UK; 1995-02-15), page 96/97 (96)